Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Wireless Network Not Available - Why?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Wireless Network Not Available - Why?

Old 06-08-2005, 23:39   #1
ilford-jedi
Inactive

Services: NTL basic phone/TV package with Dial-up
ilford-jedi has a spectacular aura about themilford-jedi has a spectacular aura about themilford-jedi has a spectacular aura about themilford-jedi has a spectacular aura about them
Wireless Network Not Available - Why?

Sorry guys, but I'm having a big problem with my wireless network not being available. It seemed to be okay this morning but whilst trying to get onto the web this evening I just kept getting a message telling me that the wireless connection is not availble and that there were no wireless networks found in range.

If I plug my LAN cable in then everything's fine but I can't work out why the wireless connection seems up the creek.

Any help much appreciated.
ilford-jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 06-08-2005, 23:49   #2
Raistlin
Inactive

Services: Depends on the person and the price they're offering
Raistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered stars
Raistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered stars
Re: Wireless Network Not Available - Why?

What router do you have?
Raistlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2005, 23:53   #3
gkhewitt
Inactive

gkhewitt will become famous soon enoughgkhewitt will become famous soon enoughgkhewitt will become famous soon enough

Letting us know what router you have will help pinpoint the situation, but a lot of the time, things like this can happen because it's been on for so long, it could be overheating.

Try unplugging it from the mains and plugging back in again to restart, always the first course of action..
gkhewitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2005, 23:54   #4
Raistlin
Inactive

Raistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered stars
Raistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered stars

It'll probably turn out that the router is still set on the default channel, or that it has the SSID broadcast turned off

Or that it's a Netgear
Old 07-08-2005, 08:12   #5
ilford-jedi
Inactive

ilford-jedi has a spectacular aura about themilford-jedi has a spectacular aura about themilford-jedi has a spectacular aura about themilford-jedi has a spectacular aura about them

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raistlin
What router do you have?
Sorry, should have thought of that. It's a Linksys WRG54G.
Old 07-08-2005, 09:29   #6
Raistlin
Inactive

Ok, go into the router's control panel.

Select the "Wireless" tab and then go to "Basic Wireless Settings"

Check out the figure in the "Wireless Channel" box (it's probably stil on the default, which is channel 8 or 9 right?)

Change it to whichever channel is furthest away from the default (on mine the default was 8 and the channels range from 1 - 13 so the furthest from that was channel 1).

Click "Save Settings" and then "Continue".

Now, turn the PC off. Turn the router off.

Turn the router back on and wait for the lights to settle on the front, turn the PC back on - wait for the HDD activity light to settle and then log back in.

Hopefully your connection should connect automatically, if it doesn't you may need to start it manually. If you can't get connected at all you will need to attach a PC via a wire to your router and try again.

You might find that the first channel you try doesn't make a lot of difference, experiment with some of the others until you find one that works.

Please let us know how you get on
Old 07-08-2005, 15:56   #7
ilford-jedi
Inactive

Raistlin - My default channel was 11 so I rolled it back to 1, did what you said and my lappy picked up the WLAN stright away. I'll keep an eye on things and see what happens.

Nexy payday I'll have to donate a bit to these forums. The amout of helpful folk here is pretty impressive and have made my upgrade to BB so much easier. Not like some forums I've been to . Many thanks.
Old 07-08-2005, 16:36   #8
Gareth
cf.mega poster

Gareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny stars
Gareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny stars

Cool, lemme PM you my bank account details once you've been paid

...oh, but let's just keep this between you and me. Don't mention it to any of that Cable Forum Team lot, ok
Gareth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2005, 18:19   #9
Raistlin
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilford-jedi
Raistlin - My default channel was 11 so I rolled it back to 1, did what you said and my lappy picked up the WLAN stright away. I'll keep an eye on things and see what happens.
Cool, let us know if you still get problems.

I had exactly the same problem as you - rolling the channel back to 1 sorted it out. I've gone from a connection that was up and down faster than a tarts drawers to one that has been rock solid (I won't come up with an analogy for that) for over 7 months now - it never falters

The next thing to check (if you get any more problems) is that your router has the latest version of the firmware installed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilford-jedi
The amout of helpful folk here is pretty impressive and have made my upgrade to BB so much easier. Not like some forums I've been to . Many thanks.
Yeah, it's a pretty cool place alright You're more than welcome