Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | New Hub

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

New Hub

Old 15-01-2011, 12:20   #1
roystheboy
Inactive

Services: broadband phone and virgin XL tv package
roystheboy is an unknown quantity at this point
New Hub

Hello I rang Virgin up today to upgrade my broadband O.K. they have done it for me up to XL package and they are going to send me a new hub router that they have got,what I want to know is I have my P.C. upstairs connected to my Cable Modem with a few wires runinig down the bedroom wall,when I get this new Hub router could I connect this Hub downstairs and and use my P.C. upstairs wirelessly also use laptops wich my grandchildren got hope so then I can get rid of a few wires in the bedroom thanks take care best regards
roystheboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 15-01-2011, 12:27   #2
Kymmy
Inactive

Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Re: New Hub

Yes the new hub is a wifi enable router.. which means that you can not only connect the devices wirelessly but you also will have 4 ethernet ports if you want to connect the devices by ethernet cable
Kymmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2011, 13:39   #3
roystheboy
Inactive

I would need a dongle connected to my P.C. to pick up the signal from the new hub will I ,thanks again take care
Old 15-01-2011, 13:41   #4
Kymmy
Inactive

Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars

Either a dongle or a wifi PCI/e card..

I think with the new hub you might get a USB dongle free but probably some staff member will confirm

In the mean time though the ethernet wire you already have will suffice until you get the wifi setup
Kymmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2011, 13:52   #5
Peter_
Permanently Banned

Services: Samsung V+ XL TV XL Phone 30Mb Superhub Samsung Galaxy 3 32GB sd card In a world of no buffering!
Peter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered stars
Peter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered stars

The Superhub will need to stay upstairs if that is where your incoming broadband connection is unless you have another connection downstairs.

If you have upgraded to 20Mb XL you will receive a Superhub only as only XXL and XXXL get a dongle.

So you have the choice of purchasing one from ourselves for £30 which will come with full technical support and a 2 year warranty or you can purchase one from any reputable stockist but we do not support 3rd part equipment.
Peter_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2011, 14:52   #6
roystheboy
Inactive

Yes I want one of those how would I go about geting one cheers thanks again ,and how would I know if I am geting 20Mb its all the same to me thanks guts take care best regards
Old 15-01-2011, 15:44   #7
Dai
Inactive

Services: 50Mb, TV & Phone
Dai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronze
Dai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronze
Send a message via MSN to Dai

Just thinking about the wireless dongle suggested in another of Roy's threads, which I believe is only wireless G.

Can anyone confirm if the new hub is N speed as a different dongle would then be appropriate.
Dai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2011, 15:55   #8
roystheboy
Inactive

hi yes this is a different thread because i have upgraded to one of these Virgin hubs I need one of these dongles from Virgin because I dont know if the netgear dongle will work properly,anybody want to buy a Netgear router hardly used cheers guys take care best regards
Old 15-01-2011, 17:04   #9
Peter_
Permanently Banned

Services: Samsung V+ XL TV XL Phone 30Mb Superhub Samsung Galaxy 3 32GB sd card In a world of no buffering!

Quote:
Originally Posted by roystheboy View Post
Yes I want one of those how would I go about geting one cheers thanks again ,and how would I know if I am geting 20Mb its all the same to me thanks guts take care best regards
If you want a Virginmedia supplied dongle you need to call Customer services on 150 from a Virginmedia phone line or 0845 454 1111 from any other phone.
Old 15-01-2011, 18:31   #10
roystheboy
Inactive

Yes I will I need one ,but the speed I got now is still under 10Mb they said they would upgrade it to 20Mb when will that hapen cheers take care

---------- Post added at 18:31 ---------- Previous post was at 18:03 ----------

Hi I just rang customer service to buy one of these dongles and he said there was one in the box with the hub cant fault that hope he is right cheers take care
Old 15-01-2011, 19:20   #11
Peter_
Permanently Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by roystheboy View Post

Hi I just rang customer service to buy one of these dongles and he said there was one in the box with the hub cant fault that hope he is right cheers take care
I would not hold my breath on that but do let us know if it arrives.

---------- Post added at 19:20 ---------- Previous post was at 19:18 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaiNasty View Post
Just thinking about the wireless dongle suggested in another of Roy's threads, which I believe is only wireless G.

Can anyone confirm if the new hub is N speed as a different dongle would then be appropriate.
Both hubs are N rated and so is the dongle.
Old 15-01-2011, 23:24   #12
Dai
Inactive

Dai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronze
Dai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masque View Post
Both hubs are N rated and so is the dongle.
Cheers. I was concerned that Roy didn't go ahead and buy the dongle we discussed in a different thread as he might have ended up stuck at G speed.
Old 15-01-2011, 23:30   #13
roystheboy
Inactive

Hi guys what does that mean G speed ,I am more concernd about my speed it should be 20Mb now so they said ,and I couldnt believe it when he said it was in the box lets hope so cheers take care
Old 16-01-2011, 07:57   #14
Dai
Inactive

The G thing is related to wireless speeds Roy. As wireless developed it gradually got faster as the technology matured.
Early wireless devices used Wireless B which was limited to 11Mb/sec. Later devices on Wireless G were capable of 54Mb/sec.
The latest development is Wireless N. This is faster still and also seems to give better range.

It's important to have a wireless dongle or card for your pc which will match the hub/router speed to get best performance.
Old 16-01-2011, 09:30   #15
roystheboy
Inactive

Hi sounds good to me cant wait to get it now ,there will be a lot of wires going from the bedroom when I get this hub working downstairs cheers take care best regards

---------- Post added at 09:30 ---------- Previous post was at 09:29 ----------

how can I find out if they have uped my speed to 20Mb thanks again