Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Belkin router problem

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Belkin router problem

Old 16-10-2006, 22:26   #1
Gavin78
Ice Cold

Services: XL TV M Phone 200MB BB
Gavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these parts
Belkin router problem

am with NTL broadband 10mb and I am using the blue 250 modem they supplied...

I share the network with my brother as he lives with me and the router I have is the belkin model it is wireless but I stopped using that part of it as I kept loosing signal but it has ports on the back for upto 4 ethernet cables been using that for weeks and its been fine...

however on sunday my pc wouldn't connect and it said network not detected and I tried the router on just mine and brothers it wont connect with either pc anymore or through wireless....

all the lights are in the router so its working that way...all I get from it is an IP starting with 169 which is my pc's own IP address...

any ideas as to why the router no longer connects? only way I can get on net at the moment is to connecting direct from the cable modem
Gavin78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 16-10-2006, 23:01   #2
Cobbydaler
cf.mega poster

Services: ClearFibre Internet, Vodafone mobile Google Pixel 4
Cobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered stars
Cobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered stars
Re: Belkin router problem

Have you tried turning everything off & then turning on in the order:

Modem > Router > PC

Wait a minute or so for the indicator lights to settle down before turning the next item in the chain on...
Cobbydaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2006, 10:06   #3
Gavin78
Ice Cold

Gavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these parts

Yeah I tried that.....still no luck....infact I hooked up the modem to the router and then to the pc via ethernet this morning and all I get is private IP address saying starting with 169

having looked at the network settings its sending but not recieving data from the ntl modem....

it was fine at 8.30am sunday morning come sunday afternoon it had just lost connection and not worked since and I haven't installed anything to damage the router....

me thinks I'll go buy a new one today
Old 17-10-2006, 16:24   #4
Gavin78
Ice Cold

I went out and baught a netgear hub to connect that way and I still have the same problems....

only difference is this time I can connect to one pc only with it the other has and IP of 169...

NTL dont give a ****e cos there modem works and I'm fecking annoyed now that I dont know why its just started doing this....

both pc have been formatted I even baught 2 new ethernet pci cards and new cables and its still fecked up....

I followed all the guides on here about unplugging 1 by 1 and the only thing I can now point at is that ntl have done something there end so that 2 pc cannot connect....

either that there is something inthe pc setting I can change maybe?
Old 17-10-2006, 17:12   #5
MovedGoalPosts
Inactive

MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars

A hub will not allow you to do what you want. simply put a hub is just a junction box. Anything comoing in on one lead will be sent out to all the other leads. Anything connected on one lead can be seen by all the other connections. The problem with that is the ntl modem can only ever speak to one device at a time, not lots of devices. The router does the intelligent bit and intercepts the messages from teh modem so that the modem only sees the one device, adn then decides where those messages have to go. Thus effectively you can only home network more than one PC simultaneously by the use of a router (unless you try internet connection sharing, a whole different ball game).

Whenever you change what ever is connected to the modem, you must power off the modem, and the things connected to it, let them settle, then power up the modem, let settle, then power up the connected devices.

Forget loads of different PCs connected to the router. Just sort out one first, and then add others. So first power all off, connect the modem to the router, and the router to PC#1. Boot up.

If you can use a connection directly wired between a PC and the modem, there is very unlikely to be anything wrong with the ntl modem. If you can't get a connection between the router and PC, then something is wrong with the network settings or card on the PC, the cable being used between the PC and router, or the router itself. Try a factory reset of the router, make sure your firewalls on the PC are off, and that you have current drivers loaded with automatic DNS enabled in the network settings of the PC.
MovedGoalPosts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2006, 21:31   #6
Gavin78
Ice Cold

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/martprd/sto...ory_oid=-28361

That link above was the belkin router I was using for some months that stopped working....

this is the one I got today

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/martprd/sto...&category_oid=

I assume that the one I got today still acts as a router for other pc's to connect or have I gone out and paid for the wrong one cos I'll take it back and get another belkin router...
Old 17-10-2006, 21:38   #7
Cobbydaler
cf.mega poster

Services: ClearFibre Internet, Vodafone mobile Google Pixel 4
Cobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered stars
Cobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered stars

No, that's a switch, you need a router...
Cobbydaler is offline   Reply With Quote