Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Help!!!! :(

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Help!!!! :(

Old 16-02-2006, 16:06   #1
50pence
Inactive

50pence is an unknown quantity at this point
Help!!!! :(

Hi people, im a first time user on this forum so i hope i've am posting in the right area. I was wondering if any1 could help me out with a problem I have with my net connection. My current ISP is NTL (dont ask what speed because i simply dont know!!) lol. Logging on to the internet was never a problem using my cable modem via the USB cable provided. Now I've installed a new PCI network card into my motherboard and want to access the internet using the ethernet cable provided, but I can't seem to be able to do so. Ive tried manually putting in the IP address to no avail and everything looks ok as in the NIC card is detected in the Device Manager. So can any1 help me with this (i bet its a really simple thing i've overlooked, lol) ???
btw ive lost the NTL startup cd given to me when i 1st got my net connection

Cheers for any help!!!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Win XP Pro
1.34GHz AMD processor
256MB RAM
50pence is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 16-02-2006, 16:11   #2
ScaredWebWarrior

Services: NTL Phone/Cable
Re: Help!!!! :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by 50pence
Logging on to the internet was never a problem using my cable modem via the USB cable provided. Now I've installed a new PCI network card into my motherboard and want to access the internet using the ethernet cable provided, but I can't seem to be able to do so.
First off, have you got a different cable modem now? i.e. one with Ethernet connection?
Old 16-02-2006, 16:18   #3
Aragorn
Inactive

Aragorn has a nice shiny star
Aragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny star

to CF.

One of the most common problems switching from USB to Ethernet is not powe cycling the modem. The cable modem must be unplugged for 20 secs each time you change from USB/Enternet and vice versa.

The other problem maybe to do with the USB drivers. The my first suggestion doesn't work, try uninstalling the NTL drivers.
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2006, 17:18   #4
50pence
Inactive

50pence is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for all your help guys (Aragorn the advice u gave worked a treat!! cheers mate!!) oh btw yes i do have a cable modem that allows for an ethernet connection :| lol keep up the good work guys!!
50pence is offline   Reply With Quote