Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Sky Sports Rights

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Sky Sports Rights

Old 05-07-2017, 11:22   #1
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
Sky Sports Rights

What Sports does Sky currently have the rights to that won't be covered by a Specific Sport channel ie Sky Football ?

Off the top of my head I can think of

Rugby League
WWE (If you can even call that a Sport)
NFL
Tennis (not sure which events)

I'm sure people can think of many more , my train of thought is are these the Sports Sky is more willing to lose rather than getting in a bidding war for ?
muppetman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 05-07-2017, 21:52   #2
alwaysabear
RIp Sweetness

Services: TiVo Full house sports bundle,Vivid 200, SHUB 3, talk more anytime.
alwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appeal
alwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appeal
Re: Sky Sports Rights

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
What Sports does Sky currently have the rights to that won't be covered by a Specific Sport channel ie Sky Football ?

Rugby League
NFL

I'm sure people can think of many more , my train of thought is are these the Sports Sky is more willing to lose rather than getting in a bidding war for ?
I am almost sure Sky have the NFL rights until 2019 they signed a 5 year deal in 2014 when they took the rights to all NFL games, so they they still have a couple of seasons left. I would be very surprised if they gave up the NFL rights after growing the sport so much in the UK over the last 20 or so years. Found what I was looking for;http://www.skysports.com/nfl/news/12...l-with-the-nfl

Last edited by alwaysabear; 05-07-2017 at 22:03.
alwaysabear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 22:03   #3
Chad
cf.mega poster

Services: SKY Family, SKY Broadband Unlimited, YouView, Netflix, Amazon Instant Video, Boxnation
Chad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny star
Chad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny star

Quote:

Rugby League
NFL

Their deal with Matchroom Sports for boxing runs until 2021. Their deal with Matchroom for darts expires 2019.

Other than that I can't think of much else.

I wonder if the rise of apps might also sway SKY's future sports renewal decisions? It might also may play a factor in some sports decisions to agree a new deal. Tennis have their ATP live app, WWE have WWE Network and NFL have NFL Game Pass. Let's say none of these sports agree new deals with SKY, or jump to BT, and decide to beef up their apps offering in the UK i.e. Smackdown and Raw being added exclusively to WWE Network or more live games on NFL Game Pass etc.... If their sport is receiving little to no coverage on TV then are fans more likely to sign up to their services paying them money directly?

It could also work as a good strategy for SKY. Say they don't renew their rights deals and these sports do beef up their apps. Would SKY consider signing deals to have their apps feature exclusively on SKY Q? (Excusive in terms of pay TV) That way SKY can offer the sports to their customers without having to pay for the actual rights. SKY Customers can then chose to subscribe to these services to watch on their SKY Q box, or other smart devices, in addition to their SKY subscription.

Last edited by Chad; 05-07-2017 at 22:26.
Chad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 00:58   #4
johnathome
cf.geek

Services: 125Mb VM BB. Prime, XBMC. Paramount+, Netflix, D+
johnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to all

WWE isn't classed as a sport because they would have to have random drug tests

It's why they re-branded as entertainment a few years ago
johnathome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 06:20   #5
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnathome View Post
WWE isn't classed as a sport because they would have to have random drug tests

It's why they re-branded as entertainment a few years ago
And its fixed as well...
Old 06-07-2017, 10:29   #6
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
And its fixed as well...
Gobsmacked!
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 10:58   #7
Media Boy UK
Also on X (Twitter)

Media Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny stars
Media Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny stars

Sky Sports has got WWE until New Year Day in 2020.

@Den how long do some Boxing Matches goes on for?

With WWE PPVS your are given up to three hours of matches.
Got inside news but can't post it - PM me with info
Media Boy UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 10:59   #8
denphone
Still alive and fighting

denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
Gobsmacked!
Knowing you l gather you think otherwise.
Old 06-07-2017, 14:32   #9
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Knowing you l gather you think otherwise.
You are such a cheeky sod, Den! But I like you...
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 14:51   #10
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
You are such a cheeky sod, Den! But I like you...
Its what you call jesting banter and not being a miserable sod like some..
Old 06-07-2017, 17:11   #11
carravetta
cf.member

Services: Sky Q 2TB, Sky Q Multiroom, Broadband and Phone
carravetta is an unknown quantity at this point

Sky will be in big trouble from a football standpoint should they not get the football league rights from 2020.
carravetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 17:18   #12
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Quote:
Originally Posted by carravetta View Post
Sky will be in big trouble from a football standpoint should they not get the football league rights from 2020.
But they will get them in my unknowledgeable opinion.
Old 09-07-2017, 12:03   #13
bubblegun
cf.addict

Services: Virgin TV 360 Virgin 500Mb FTTP -AX86+AC86U AIMesh - O2 Mobile
bubblegun is just really nicebubblegun is just really nicebubblegun is just really nicebubblegun is just really nicebubblegun is just really nicebubblegun is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by carravetta View Post
Quote:
But they will get them in my unknowledgeable opinion.
If there was a channel for non-Premier League football then they would realistically NEED to keep English Football League, Scottish and Spanish Leagues for the channel to viable.
bubblegun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 10:14   #14
japitts
cf.geek

Services: V6 with Full-House/Maxit Sports & Movies, 100Mb broadband, Talk Weekends.
japitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud of

Quote:

Rugby League
NFL

Rugby Union, currently:
Sky have...England home internationals, shared European club rugby, and all SANZAR tests.

They lose the European rugby as of 2018/19 season.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sports...United_Kingdom seems pretty accurate, and from my reading (and channel flicking during events), Sky have mens tennis and BT have womens.
japitts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 09:54   #15
OLDGOLD
cf.addict

OLDGOLD will become famous soon enoughOLDGOLD will become famous soon enoughOLDGOLD will become famous soon enough

Quote:

Rugby League
NFL

Darts
OLDGOLD is offline   Reply With Quote