Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | BBC Watchdog 5 July 2017

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

BBC Watchdog 5 July 2017

Old 07-07-2017, 17:23   #16
nashville
nashville

Services: Virgin Media
nashville has a nice shiny star
nashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny star
Re: BBC Watchdog 5 July 2017

I love Watchdog. Some of these tradesman have no shame with the prices they were charging for repairs,
nashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 07-07-2017, 17:34   #17
Travelstar
cf.member

Travelstar is on a distinguished roadTravelstar is on a distinguished road

All my equipment which needs a low latency and fast connection is on wired, inc my servers, SIP phones, Apple TV, Fire TV etc. I leave the day to day stuff on wifi.

FWIW, whilst I have 802.11ac, with most devices supporting it, my older Mac laptop only has 802.11n. Over short distances and on the 5ghz band I can consistently get the full 220 speeds (day time only as I have contention issues in evening). It's worth pointing out I live in central London and can see some 20-30 wifi networks however 5ghz band is empty as it tends not to propagate through walls terribly well so for short range it's brilliant.
Travelstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 20:30   #18
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-40504354
Quote:
At the end of May 2017, Mr Mockridge said 100Mbps would now be the "broadband standard" for the company and the industry needed to improve the way it advertised speeds, so customers were not "hoodwinked".
Oh the irony
muppetman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 20:59   #19
nomadking
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media TV&BB 350Mb, V6 STB
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array

But how else do you advertise it? Last year I was living in an area with congestion. Even then, a lot of the time I could get 200Mb(or thereabouts). I've now moved to an area where I get a constant 200Mb. It depends on the neighbours and what they get up to.
nomadking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 09:02   #20
Dush
Inactive

Dush can only hope to improve

I was considering moving back to VM but checked my area on the forums and it seemed to have speed problems in the past. A simple solution to customers being "hoodwinked" would be to force ISP's to post regional issues on a centralised site. That way you can check your real world speeds before ordering and see the historic issues.

I've never had a problem with WiFi and I have a huge number of AP's around me. I'd always hardwired everything in but was pretty shocked so see how fast AC is from the next room - I get 250-350mbit and can even stream a 4k Ultra HD to my LG OLED over WiFi.
Dush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 10:33   #21
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavin-D View Post
I can only get the advertised speed when connecting directly to the hub If I connect via wifi the speed fails to pass 115mb on the 200mb package
Which proves that it is the WI-FI set up.