Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | NAS help - 2 bay nas ( qnap)

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking

NAS help - 2 bay nas ( qnap)

Old 28-07-2016, 23:32   #1
wakkaday
cf.addict

wakkaday is an unknown quantity at this point
NAS help - 2 bay nas ( qnap)

i have a 2 bay nas - hs-251 (fanless silent nas) *apparently
i have installed a 3tb green caviar wd drive in one of the bays and its set up as raid 0 i believe.

this drive was ripped from an external usb and it makes a lot of noise, so i am going to order some specific wd reds made for nas systems and see if that makes the difference

how would i copy the data from the wd green 3tb over to the wd reds ( i obviously have a slot spare, so i am thinking i can put slot in the wd red drive and 'somehow' copy the info across...

what would be the easiest / quickest way? i am new to NAS systems

thanks
wakkaday is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 29-07-2016, 16:04   #2
Wallace
cf.addict

Services: VM 200M
Wallace is on a distinguished roadWallace is on a distinguished road
Re: nas help - 2 bay nas ( qnap)

Why not copy the existing data from the WD Greens to your PC, then set up you shiny new WD Reds and load data back?

I have a QNAP TVS 471 four bay unit using four 3TB WD Reds. It's been running 14months none stop without issue so I am sure that the WD Reds are the way to go.
Wallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2016, 17:34   #3
wakkaday
cf.addict

wakkaday is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: NAS help - 2 bay nas ( qnap)

yeh will do problem is i will have to connect the green back to the enclosure, i may try it with just the usb piece which attaches to it and see if that works...

on another side point, on the qnap i may need some assistance
i want to be able to push torrents via ios - what's the best way forward for this?
i have the hs-251+2 which has 2gb of ram max. do you think this is sustainable for a nas? or it worth getting a different model

mainly using for backup and hosting files as i have a shield tv as plex server

thanks
wakkaday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2016, 17:34   #4
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
Re: NAS help - 2 bay nas ( qnap)

when you installed the software which came with the NAS it will map the drives for you and assign them letters so you can see them my computer/explorer. Although you can do a drive to drive copy on the NAS I have found that it is actually faster to copy it to my pc and then send it back. Plus it will also save you time faffing around putting drives in an out of the case. Copy it to your pc first then you only have to go into the enclosure once to take the old drive out and put the two new ones in.
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote