Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Strange phone call

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media News Discussion

Strange phone call

Old 13-07-2017, 20:14   #1
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Strange phone call

So I get a call (to my mobile) from someone claiming to be Virgin Media.

(Sounded like a foreign call centre).

Apparently they have great news, they are going to give me a "massive" discount

Hmm, so I say "ok, what kind of discount" ?

At that point they start asking me about my security questions.

*Ding ding* Alarm bell rings.

I pointed out that they had rung me (out of the blue) and not the other way around.
No way was I going to answer my security questions to a random caller who could be anyone.

They rang off .................

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 13-07-2017, 21:37   #2
Qtx
CF's Worst Nightmare

Services: Sky Fibre Unlimited 40/10
Qtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appeal
Qtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appeal
Re: Strange phone call

Sorry, the cleaner pulled the switchboard plug out mid-conversation.

Would you trust me more if I gave you my password of charlie07wywimopugodfish1 and an install date?

Oh wait, which scam is this again?

Just kidding of course!

I wont even give my date of birth to people calling claiming to be a reminder service for hospital appointments. They think it's a bit weird you wont tell a random caller those details.

Last edited by Qtx; 13-07-2017 at 21:46.
Qtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2017, 12:30   #3
tweetiepooh
Virgin Media Employee

Services: Staff MyRates BB: VM XXL TV: VM XL Phone : VM XL
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal

I got call from "BT" about my BT line. I said I was with VM.

Couple of hours later - call from "VM" (same voice) about my VM line and if I didn't help my "BT - sorry VM" line would be closed.
Old 15-07-2017, 02:00   #4
Chad
cf.mega poster

Services: SKY Family, SKY Broadband Unlimited, YouView, Netflix, Amazon Instant Video, Boxnation
Chad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny star
Chad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul M View Post
So I get a call (to my mobile) from someone claiming to be Virgin Media.

(Sounded like a foreign call centre).

Apparently they have great news, they are going to give me a "massive" discount

Hmm, so I say "ok, what kind of discount" ?

At that point they start asking me about my security questions.

*Ding ding* Alarm bell rings.

I pointed out that they had rung me (out of the blue) and not the other way around.
No way was I going to answer my security questions to a random caller who could be anyone.

They rang off .................
To be fair they'd need to ask those type of questions for data security. If a company has to call you urgently they can't take it for granted they are actually talking to the customer. They would need to ask a couple of quick security questions before divulging potential sensitive info.

My Dad and I have the same name. When i lived with my parents I wouldn't have been too pleased if my doctor, bank or employer called the house asking to speak to me then started to blurt out my personal info to my Dad.

Best thing to do if your unsure is tell them you'll call back yourself and ask them to add a note on their system as your concerned about the legitimacy of the call.
Chad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2017, 11:42   #5
Daveoc64
cf.addict

Services: Freeview Play, Virgin Media Gig1
Daveoc64 has a spectacular aura about themDaveoc64 has a spectacular aura about themDaveoc64 has a spectacular aura about themDaveoc64 has a spectacular aura about them

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad View Post
To be fair they'd need to ask those type of questions for data security. If a company has to call you urgently they can't take it for granted they are actually talking to the customer. They would need to ask a couple of quick security questions before divulging potential sensitive info.

My Dad and I have the same name. When i lived with my parents I wouldn't have been too pleased if my doctor, bank or employer called the house asking to speak to me then started to blurt out my personal info to my Dad.

Best thing to do if your unsure is tell them you'll call back yourself and ask them to add a note on their system as your concerned about the legitimacy of the call.
The point is that it's always unsafe to give your security details to someone that contacts you - to the point that companies shouldn't ask for them in the first place, and many won't for that reason.
Daveoc64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2017, 12:02   #6
jcm193
cf.addict

jcm193 will become famous soon enoughjcm193 will become famous soon enoughjcm193 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveoc64 View Post
The point is that it's always unsafe to give your security details to someone that contacts you - to the point that companies shouldn't ask for them in the first place, and many won't for that reason.
I have to agree these people could be anybody and it's not safe at all to give your password to someone in this situation,If they really need to confirm who you why not just ask for random letters from your password like the automated system does

Last edited by jcm193; 17-07-2017 at 12:06.
jcm193 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2017, 16:47   #7
djmagnifique
cf.geek

Services: XL tv with 2x V6 boxes, M phone, 350Mb broadband
djmagnifique has a reputation beyond reputedjmagnifique has a reputation beyond reputedjmagnifique has a reputation beyond reputedjmagnifique has a reputation beyond reputedjmagnifique has a reputation beyond reputedjmagnifique has a reputation beyond reputedjmagnifique has a reputation beyond reputedjmagnifique has a reputation beyond reputedjmagnifique has a reputation beyond reputedjmagnifique has a reputation beyond reputedjmagnifique has a reputation beyond reputedjmagnifique has a reputation beyond reputedjmagnifique has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcm193 View Post
I have to agree these people could be anybody and it's not safe at all to give your password to someone in this situation,If they really need to confirm who you why not just ask for random letters from your password like the automated system does
When I got a V6 fitted I had a problem with the on demand not working, the lightning team had to pass my issue up to 2nd line support. When 2nd line support rang me back the person asked for 3 random characters from my password.
djmagnifique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2017, 18:40   #8
Gavin-D
cf.mega poster

Gavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these parts

Does the number start with 0800?
Gavin-D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2017, 00:04   #9
Daveoc64
cf.addict

Services: Freeview Play, Virgin Media Gig1
Daveoc64 has a spectacular aura about themDaveoc64 has a spectacular aura about themDaveoc64 has a spectacular aura about themDaveoc64 has a spectacular aura about them

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmagnifique View Post
When I got a V6 fitted I had a problem with the on demand not working, the lightning team had to pass my issue up to 2nd line support. When 2nd line support rang me back the person asked for 3 random characters from my password.
I think that's much less of a security risk. If you're expecting an imminent call back from a company then it's reasonable to assume it's them.
Daveoc64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2017, 09:38   #10
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveoc64 View Post
If you're expecting an imminent call back from a company then it's reasonable to assume it's them.
True, but if you aren't, it's a great way for a hacker to get the first, fifth and eighth character of your p---w--d
spiderplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2017, 13:15   #11
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderplant View Post
True, but if you aren't, it's a great way for a hacker to get the first, fifth and eighth character of your p---w--d
My password is only 5 letters so i hope they don't ask me for 3.
Old 18-07-2017, 13:33   #12
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

AFAIK, they will always ask for three letters.

If I got a call I was not expecting (which was the case) then I will not give anything, including three letters from my password.

They should have a password for us to confirm, security works both ways.

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote