Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | [Update] Windows 10 Discussion

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > General IT Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

[Update] Windows 10 Discussion

Old 29-07-2015, 08:44   #991
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
Re: [Update] Windows 10 Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave42 View Post
Already been posted a few hours ago.

Just waiting for someone on the interwebs to try it out with a 8.1 key and see if it works without first going down the upgrade path.
Old 29-07-2015, 09:02   #992
dilli-theclaw
R.I.P.

Services: BT
dilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden aura
dilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoopZ View Post
Already been posted a few hours ago.

Just waiting for someone on the interwebs to try it out with a 8.1 key and see if it works without first going down the upgrade path.
I just tried this on my laptop and it didn't accept my win 8.1 key.
dilli-theclaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2015, 09:19   #993
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilli-theclaw View Post
Thanks for letting us know.

---------- Post added at 09:19 ---------- Previous post was at 09:07 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stop It View Post
Well, my insider version had a massive update as Windows went live. Interesting that they kept the same build number (The first half anyway) but hey.

Good luck to those about to see Windows 10 for the first time!
Just turned on my PC and no update is being offered to me yet for insiders.

What is the latest version number and how do i find it on Windows 10 as i forgot?
Old 29-07-2015, 10:00   #994
Stop It
Inactive

Services: VM Vivid 200 VM XL TV & Sky Sports VM Phone
Stop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of society

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoopZ View Post
Thanks for letting us know.

---------- Post added at 09:19 ---------- Previous post was at 09:07 ----------

Just turned on my PC and no update is being offered to me yet for insiders.

What is the latest version number and how do i find it on Windows 10 as i forgot?
The info is hiding here: http://www.winbeta.org/news/day-one-...download-links

Edit: My build now has the option to defer updates (As I am on Windows 10 Pro after updating from my MS Store copy of Windows 8 Pro), and I can officially leave the Insiders group too in the settings menu.

My PC updated with this in the early hours of last night.

As for finding build numbers, I honestly couldn't tell you now they've hidden them! :p
Stop It is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2015, 10:08   #995
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stop It View Post
The info is hiding here: http://www.winbeta.org/news/day-one-...download-links

Edit: My build now has the option to defer updates (As I am on Windows 10 Pro after updating from my MS Store copy of Windows 8 Pro), and I can officially leave the Insiders group too in the settings menu.

My PC updated with this in the early hours of last night.

As for finding build numbers, I honestly couldn't tell you now they've hidden them! :p
Thanks, the other half said it updated something when closing down last night so i have no idea if i am on the latest or not now as typing 'winver' in Cortana just says Version 10 (build 10240)
Old 29-07-2015, 10:21   #996
Dave42
cf.mega poster

Services: V.I.P 120 tivo and v+
Dave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronze
Dave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilli-theclaw View Post
you got to upgrade first before you can clean install as that give the hardware ID for a clean install to activate
Dave42 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2015, 10:49   #997
nomadking
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media TV&BB 350Mb, V6 STB
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array

Does anyone know if you will be able to set up a dual boot system with 8.1 and 10, until you are more confident that everything is ok with 10? Or at least be able to make a system backup of 8.1 and restore it if necessary.
nomadking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2015, 11:00   #998
alanbjames
R.I.P.

Services: XL Phone, XXXL Gig1 BB SH4 (wired).
alanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these parts

well the windows icon has vanished but windows update isnt giving me an option to do an update.
alanbjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2015, 11:04   #999
MalteseFalcon
cf.mega poster

MalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronze
MalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronze
Send a message via AIM to MalteseFalcon

To find the versiom, press the windows key + r, then in the run command type winver, press Enter and it comes up with the build info.
MalteseFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2015, 11:12   #1000
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkC1984 View Post
To find the versiom, press the windows key + r, then in the run command type winver, press Enter and it comes up with the build info.
Already done all that using Cortana, but it doesn't give the FULL build number unfortunately.
Old 29-07-2015, 11:19   #1001
Dave42
cf.mega poster

Dave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronze
Dave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronze

how to force update on pc or tablet

http://goodereader.com/blog/tablet-s...-pc-and-tablet
Old 29-07-2015, 12:57   #1002
Tinky
To err is human

Services: yearly MOT
Tinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny stars
Tinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny stars

Please encourage my laziness of not having to scroll through all the previous discussions and can someone please tell me simple terms answers to the following?

Will I lose all my pictures/documents etc? What prog/applications/features will I gain and what will I lose I'm on Windows 7? What is the best/worst features of Windows 10? How long on average to download it? Has anyone upgraded to 10 and wished they hadn't. Finally is it reversible?
Tinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2015, 13:10   #1003
truthspeaker
cf.addict

truthspeaker likes to dwell in the guttertruthspeaker likes to dwell in the guttertruthspeaker likes to dwell in the guttertruthspeaker likes to dwell in the guttertruthspeaker likes to dwell in the guttertruthspeaker likes to dwell in the guttertruthspeaker likes to dwell in the guttertruthspeaker likes to dwell in the guttertruthspeaker likes to dwell in the guttertruthspeaker likes to dwell in the gutter

On Windows 10 insider preview in build 10240 does the expire date appear after 29th July?
truthspeaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2015, 13:31   #1004
Dave42
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by truthspeaker View Post
On Windows 10 insider preview in build 10240 does the expire date appear after 29th July?
10240 is final build so no expiry date
Old 29-07-2015, 13:31   #1005
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Services: VM 500M SH3 thingy in modem mode XL TV V6 Sony Bravia smart TV and M phone
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinky View Post
Please encourage my laziness of not having to scroll through all the previous discussions and can someone please tell me simple terms answers to the following?

Will I lose all my pictures/documents etc? What prog/applications/features will I gain and what will I lose I'm on Windows 7? What is the best/worst features of Windows 10? How long on average to download it? Has anyone upgraded to 10 and wished they hadn't. Finally is it reversible?
Here's a fairly comprehensive review of W10 vs W8 and W7, pro's and cons.

As for your data always back up before making any significant system changes. Data should be preserved but if the upgrade crashed then who knows?