Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Olympics - which sports should be there?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Entertainment > Sport
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Olympics - which sports should be there?

Old 30-07-2012, 11:58   #16
gazzae
Inactive

gazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronze
gazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronze
Re: Olympics - which sports should be there?

They are two distinct sports aren't they? Different rules etc? Bit like Rugby Union and Rugby League if that makes sense.
gazzae is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 30-07-2012, 12:05   #17
danielf
cf.mega poser

danielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden aura
danielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by gazzae View Post
They are two distinct sports aren't they? Different rules etc? Bit like Rugby Union and Rugby League if that makes sense.
Are they? I know Olympic boxers are required to wear head protection, but other than that it's just a matter of beating your opponent to pulp?

Either way, I don't see why professionals can't compete. I saw Amir Khan interviewed on the beeb the other day. He said he'd love to compete but couldn't.
Old 30-07-2012, 12:13   #18
gazzae
Inactive

gazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronze
gazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronze

The scoring is different as well. In amateur boxing all that counts is if the punch lands where as in pro boxing a powerful punch will score more.

---------- Post added at 12:13 ---------- Previous post was at 12:11 ----------

A jab and a haymaker would score the same in amateur, but in pro boxing a haymaker would be scored higher.
Old 30-07-2012, 12:16   #19
danielf
cf.mega poser

danielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden aura

Ah. I still don't see why that should exclude professional boxers from the Olympics though.
Old 30-07-2012, 12:23   #20
gazzae
Inactive

Because to be eligible you have to be a member of the AIBA and you can't be if you are a professional.

Expect to see professional boxers in 2016. Though only boxers who compete in the new AIBA Professional Boxing program will be eligible so might not see the big names.
Old 30-07-2012, 12:28   #21
danielf
cf.mega poser

Quote:
Originally Posted by gazzae View Post
Because to be eligible you have to be a member of the AIBA and you can't be if you are a professional.

Expect to see professional boxers in 2016. Though only boxers who compete in the new AIBA Professional Boxing program will be eligible so might not see the big names.
Yes, I understand those are the rules, but I was just wondering why those are the rules. Mind you, I don't particularly like boxing, so I couldn't care either way. Just wondering.
Old 30-07-2012, 12:32   #22
gazzae
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielf View Post
Yes, I understand those are the rules, but I was just wondering why those are the rules. Mind you, I don't particularly like boxing, so I couldn't care either way. Just wondering.
Two distinct sports is the simple answer.
Plus pro boxing doesn't have one organisation in charge of the sport so I'd imagine it has something to do with this as well.
Old 02-08-2012, 16:22   #23
Itshim
Do I care what you think

Services: V6 ,Virgin L. Phone Broadband.sky go Netflix
Itshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appeal
Itshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appeal

WWF of cause
Old 02-08-2012, 16:48   #24
v0id
[CENSORED]

Services: Virginmedia - BB:250 TV:Mix TiVo v6 Phone:Talk Weekends w/anon reject
v0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appeal
v0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itshim View Post
WWF of cause
The World Wide Fund for Nature isn't a sport :p

v0id is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 18:41   #25
tweetiepooh
Virgin Media Employee

Services: Staff MyRates BB: VM XXL TV: VM XL Phone : VM XL
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal

My main thought is that sports like football, rugby and the like take a long time to complete and take up a whole venue. The smaller versions 5-a-side, rugby sevens can have multiple games in the same venue over the same period and seem better suited to an event like the olympics that runs for 14 days. Also the smaller team size may allow smaller nations to participate which would be good.

I also like the idea of levelling the field so that smaller and poorer nations can compete and have chances of winning. A big problem with the professional level is that the split between the top (pro) teams and the more amateur is so great the latter just don't stand a chance. Surely it would be more sporting to have closer results and a more "friendly" atmosphere. Don't think we can ever go back though as people want to see the best not just good competition.
Old 02-08-2012, 19:56   #26
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling

You have to have the professional level. The Olympics is a globalised televised event.

As you say people want to see the best athletes in the world compete. It becomes a mockery of sport if you can have a 'Olympic Champion' who can't compete at the professional level. Imagine a gold medal winning tennis player who can't make the ATP/WTA tours. The whole thing would be a joke. Also the Olympics is often the only time a lot of people are exposed to different, more niche, sports. So they might as well watch the best it can offer.

For this reason I agree that sports whose Olympic contests aren't taken seriously by the best athletes should be dropped. Football is the only one that springs to mind but that is taken seriously by South America and (I think) Asia.
Damien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 23:07   #27
danielf
cf.mega poser

Seeing we've got the long jump and the high jump in Athletics, I'd propose a new event, called the 'deep jump'. The idea would be for athletes to jump from a tower with platforms at varying heights, with optional added blocks for additional height. Athletes are expected to land feet first (no roll-overs allowed) on a concrete platform. A critical aspect of this new discipline would be the ability to climb the tower after a jump. A result will therefore only stand if the athlete manages to return to the starting position (unaided) within a time of, say one minute. Athletes may receive treatment for injuries, but such treatment does not allow for additional time in reaching the starting position.

The winner will be the athlete that managed a successful jump from and return to the highest starting position.

I'm sure we can all agree that this new discipline will be thoroughly entertaining to watch, and an absolute crowd pleaser.
Old 05-08-2012, 00:11   #28
iFrankie
cf.mega poster

Services: V BB 350
iFrankie has a bronzed appealiFrankie has a bronzed appeal
iFrankie has a bronzed appealiFrankie has a bronzed appealiFrankie has a bronzed appealiFrankie has a bronzed appealiFrankie has a bronzed appeal
Send a message via MSN to iFrankie Send a message via Yahoo to iFrankie

Do we have ping pong/table tennis?
iFrankie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 08:56   #29
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by iFrankie View Post
Do we have ping pong/table tennis?
Yes we do already have Table Tennis.
Old 05-08-2012, 09:17   #30
LondonRoad
Inactive

Services: 30mb BB, XL TV, V+, TiVo, talk unlimited.
LondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny star
LondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielf View Post
Seeing we've got the long jump and the high jump in Athletics, I'd propose a new event, called the 'deep jump'. The idea would be for athletes to jump from a tower with platforms at varying heights, with optional added blocks for additional height. Athletes are expected to land feet first (no roll-overs allowed) on a concrete platform. A critical aspect of this new discipline would be the ability to climb the tower after a jump. A result will therefore only stand if the athlete manages to return to the starting position (unaided) within a time of, say one minute. Athletes may receive treatment for injuries, but such treatment does not allow for additional time in reaching the starting position.

The winner will be the athlete that managed a successful jump from and return to the highest starting position.

I'm sure we can all agree that this new discipline will be thoroughly entertaining to watch, and an absolute crowd pleaser.
That sounds feasible.... provided that I am allowed to nominate the victims ,... I mean athletes.
LondonRoad is offline   Reply With Quote