Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Mac messing up my networking!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Mac messing up my networking!

Old 08-01-2008, 22:00   #16
Alanmelon
Inactive

Alanmelon has reached the bronze age
Alanmelon has reached the bronze ageAlanmelon has reached the bronze ageAlanmelon has reached the bronze ageAlanmelon has reached the bronze ageAlanmelon has reached the bronze ageAlanmelon has reached the bronze ageAlanmelon has reached the bronze age
Send a message via MSN to Alanmelon
Re: Mac messing up my networking!

Just to revive an old thread...

After a repeated problems using using a new BT Home Hub router, I have reverted back to my 1800HG 2wire modem/router, but the same problems still remain. Whenever my laptop PC is on it's own it works just fine. When the laptop and mac are on, the PC keeps dropping connection, but more often than not, the wireless connection does not drop entirely but the internet connection fails - I cannot access websites. I can only resolve this by disabling and then re-enabling the PC's wireless adapter.

I now have both computers set up to use a static IP address. I can't help but think my problems with the Home Hub were also due to the same issue. Can anyone suggest anything I can do with this bloody Mac iBook apart from take a hammer to it's overpriced arse?
Alanmelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 08-01-2008, 23:23   #17
Tricky
Inactive

Services: $KY+HD - BT Infinity
Tricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful one

What OS are you running on the MacBook?
What wireless security mode are you running?
Do you have any other protocols enabled on the MAC?
How "Default" are all your settings - any tweaks to framesize, MTU etc?
Tricky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 00:19   #18
sc00bie
Inactive

sc00bie is an unknown quantity at this point

What mode is the router using? 'g' 'b' or mixed ?
What encryption are you using on the laptop and ibook - try disabling and see how it goes. I think it's 40/128 bit on ibook and 64/128 bit on the PC, try changing this to 128 bit on both.

Are all wireless cards capable of the same e.g 54mbs, are they different makes.
Have you checked the maufacturers web sites for compatability issues with other maufacturers products?
As said before it sounds like the signal produced by the Mac is flooding or is stronger than the card used on the laptop.
If you go to a friends house with wireless access does the same thing happen using the ibook.

Untill you can verify that there is no compatibilty issues between the cards used you will not be able to narrow things down. Changes need to be made one at a time, test, continue.
Have you used the FAQ section for the mac, have others experienced the same problem, would do some digging around the hardware as it is not the routers.
sc00bie
sc00bie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 02:45   #19
popper
Inactive

popper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze array
popper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanmelon View Post
Just to revive an old thread...

After a repeated problems using using a new BT Home Hub router, I have reverted back to my 1800HG 2wire modem/router, but the same problems still remain.

Whenever my laptop PC is on it's own it works just fine. When the laptop and mac are on, the PC keeps dropping connection, but more often than not, the wireless connection does not drop entirely but the internet connection fails -

I cannot access websites. I can only resolve this by disabling and then re-enabling the PC's wireless adapter.

I now have both computers set up to use a static IP address.

I can't help but think my problems with the Home Hub were also due to the same issue.

Can anyone suggest anything I can do with this bloody Mac iBook apart from take a hammer to it's overpriced arse?
you do seem to have been having these problems a long time now but its the first time iv seen the thread.

right, i did notice no one had told you to use fixed IPs on ALL your kit, but you set them up now anyway so thats good.

i cant tell you exactly as my MAC doesnt have wireless (its an old G4/400 bless it LOL) and i use PPC linux not OSX.

but does the mac card have a way to reduce the wireless DB and so lower the power output its creating?, if so make it as low as possible then increase in steps until it can connect to the router again.

as a ruff guide, its every 3db increase you double your distance.

the other thing id do as a quick test, as i do with x86 windows sytems too, is get a PPC liveCD for the MAC and boot that to see if its doing the same thing as it is in OSX.

you have apparently ruled out a faulty router, as i assume your getting EXACTLY the same on the other BT HH, although your not clear on that point?.

so its power or an oddball OSX/driver problem that might be messing with wireless cards power output, over driving it perhaps and swamping the x86 machines.

you might even go as far as boot an all round liveCD testing session for all the kit as a temp test so grab a x86 one at the same time you grab the PPC liveCD, assuming you can find a version that can work with your wireless kit.

if not seeing your talking smashing the MAC up is pull your OSx drives off the chain and install an old 20gig or something and install linux on that if your into that sort of adventure, its a good video steamer if your CPU is upto it, or a simple NAS if you like.

if you cant solve the problem, give it away, far better than smashing it up my friend .

---------- Post added at 02:45 ---------- Previous post was at 02:24 ----------

whats your Mac iBook spec BTW , you never said.
popper is offline   Reply With Quote