Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Help with buying a router please :D

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Help with buying a router please :D

Old 10-02-2007, 14:51   #16
Marge
Inactive

Marge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny stars
Marge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Help with buying a router please :D

Just to throw a spanner in the works, I have a WRK54G and it works perfectly, installed it fine and it runs like a dream, £40 from Maplins with a free wireless card
Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 10-02-2007, 14:56   #17
dcclanuk
Inactive

dcclanuk has a fine set of Quadsdcclanuk has a fine set of Quadsdcclanuk has a fine set of Quadsdcclanuk has a fine set of Quadsdcclanuk has a fine set of Quadsdcclanuk has a fine set of Quadsdcclanuk has a fine set of Quadsdcclanuk has a fine set of Quadsdcclanuk has a fine set of Quadsdcclanuk has a fine set of Quadsdcclanuk has a fine set of Quadsdcclanuk has a fine set of Quadsdcclanuk has a fine set of Quadsdcclanuk has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikesh View Post
thx for that! so can i buy online and collect instore, avoiding the £5 delivery charge?

edit: I CAN!... think I might buy it today and go get it

PS, can every1 confirm that is the ideal one to buy?

or, for a few pounds more, how is:
http://www.pcworld.co.uk/martprd/sto...ory_oid=-28361
?

---------- Post added at 14:56 ---------- Previous post was at 14:53 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debbie B View Post
Just to throw a spanner in the works, I have a WRK54G and it works perfectly, installed it fine and it runs like a dream, £40 from Maplins with a free wireless card
Debbie, how about this one:

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/martprd/sto...&category_oid=
that Nikesh said... how is that?
dcclanuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 15:03   #18
Marge
Inactive

Marge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny stars

Looks good flower, go for it and remember if you have any problems I'm sure the good folk here will be able to help....
Old 10-02-2007, 15:07   #19
dcclanuk
Inactive

dcclanuk has a fine set of Quadsdcclanuk has a fine set of Quadsdcclanuk has a fine set of Quadsdcclanuk has a fine set of Quadsdcclanuk has a fine set of Quadsdcclanuk has a fine set of Quadsdcclanuk has a fine set of Quadsdcclanuk has a fine set of Quadsdcclanuk has a fine set of Quadsdcclanuk has a fine set of Quadsdcclanuk has a fine set of Quadsdcclanuk has a fine set of Quadsdcclanuk has a fine set of Quadsdcclanuk has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debbie B View Post
Looks good flower, go for it and remember if you have any problems I'm sure the good folk here will be able to help....
which one???

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/martprd/sto...&category_oid=

or

Old 10-02-2007, 15:09   #20
Nikesh
Inactive

Nikesh has reached the bronze age
Nikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze age

The speedbooster one will only be useful to you if you get a Linksys wireless adaptor that has speedbooster too. If I was you, I'd just get the normal one. It's a shame you don't live in Leicester because I'm going PC World today.
Nikesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 15:10   #21
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

I'd go for this one, WRT54GS

[edit]

Definitely go for the speedbooster one although as Nikesh says you will only get an advantage if you have a speedbooster adaptor, but you may need it one day and for the sake of a few £ you may as well get it.
Old 10-02-2007, 15:13   #22
Nikesh
Inactive

Nikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze age

Actually SnoopZ is right, it's only a couple of quid more, so if in the future you do get a speedbooster wireless adaptor you would be able to make use of it properly.
Old 10-02-2007, 15:13   #23
dcclanuk
Inactive

Quote:
The speedbooster one will only be useful to you if you get a Linksys wireless adaptor that has speedbooster too. If I was you, I'd just get the normal one. It's a shame you don't live in Leicester because I'm going PC World today.
You come to Wembley

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoopZ View Post
I'd go for this one, WRT54GS

[edit]

Definitely go for the speedbooster one although as Nikesh says you will only get an advantage if you have a speedbooster adaptor.
I think i will create a new thread now with a poll! or can i do that on this thread!? I think it has to be one of these 2 routers!
Old 10-02-2007, 15:15   #24
Nikesh
Inactive

Speedbooster one, it's only a couple more quid.
Old 10-02-2007, 15:17   #25
Marge
Inactive

Agree with Nikesh !!!
Old 10-02-2007, 18:47   #26
Druchii
cf.mega poster

Services: Canal Digital: 50/10
Druchii has a nice shiny star
Druchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Speedbooster one, it's only a couple more quid.
And also has twice as much RAM which will help with basic things and make the router itself much more responsive even without the Speedbooster.

Normal WRT54G's have 8mb. Speedbooster models have 16
Druchii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 15:58   #27
dcclanuk
Inactive

UPDATE!!!

Bought the GS UK router today!

works fine... took about 20mins to install never used a router before lol.

Took 30 mins to try and get the internet working on the PDA.... its sooo hard with a little screen like that

laptop should be here tomoz, and i guess that should be easier to get working!

NOW I ***THINK*** it is secure, but cant be sure as I cant tell much from the PDA. Asked my neighbour to chk if he can access it, and he is busy playing monopoly.... so i will find out this evening if it is secure, or I will find out tomoz

or some1 might get to access my internet freeee for 1 day

oooh the joy they can have

thanks all for ur help.......... now just help me out with ONE SMALLLLLL thing.......

I need a USB mouse for the laptop... today in PCWORLD there was a "PCLINE" mouse for £7.50 [half price i think it was]... but PC LINE i dont think is the greatest company... so can some1 hook me up with a decent USB mouse for around £5??? will look on play.com later... but if there is anywhere else i can look?
Old 11-02-2007, 16:00   #28
Nikesh
Inactive

Good to hear you got GS model in the end.

If go on this under Security, you can see whether your network is protected or not.
Old 11-02-2007, 16:09   #29
dcclanuk
Inactive

Quote:
Good to hear you got GS model in the end.

If go on this under Security, you can see whether your network is protected or not.

thx, i THINK it is secured... there was a lot of other stuff too lol
Old 11-02-2007, 16:26   #30
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

To secure your Linksys make sure you change the following.

In the router settings change:-

1)Under Wireless/Basic Wireless Settings tab change the SSID and disable Wireless SSID Broadcast.

2)Under Wireless/Wireless Security tab change the Security mode, mines set to WPA Personel.

3)Under Wireless/Wireless Security tab change the WPA Shared Key : password.

4)Consider using the Wireless MAC Filter, for example mine just has the modem and Xbox 360 MAC in the list so nothing else is aloud.

5) Change the password you enter to get into the router config page. I think you do that from the Administration tab.