Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | linksys / ntl connection nightmare!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

linksys / ntl connection nightmare!

Old 13-01-2007, 00:08   #1
redcap
Inactive

redcap is an unknown quantity at this point
linksys / ntl connection nightmare!

hi, ive searched the forum to no avail and was wondering if anyone could help.

ive been on ntl broadband for a few years (with the pc connected via usb to the modem) and decided to go wireless for my new nintendo wii so i bought a linksys BEFW11S4 wireless router because of its compatibility.

ive tried for six hours straight to get it going and its driving me NUTS.

i can access the internet on this computer (which im going to use to setup the router with) but when i turn on the ethernet in the network connections it destroys my connection to the internet.

i have the router connected to my computer via ethernet cable (which is working fine) and the modem connected to the router via ethernet but i am not getting any reaction from it (the "internet" light on the router isnt lit nor is the "enet" light on the modem). i was thinking that maybe it is the ethernet connection on the modem that is causing the problem but it seems to not be the case.

one problem i think is that the connection i use for the internet doesnt have the tab to allow network sharing - its on the other connection which ruins my connection when accessed.

82.29.255.1 is showing as my ethernet IP address
62.254.32.17 is showing as the IP address for the modem / cable altho this might change if its an active address??

PLEASE someone help me before i go nuts! thanks
redcap is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 13-01-2007, 00:12   #2
MovedGoalPosts
Inactive

MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
Re: linksys / ntl connection nightmare!

to Cable Forum

To get the modem to recognise there is a change of device attached to it, you must power off the modem, when swapping from PC to router, or to USB. Only one device can be directly wired to the modem at any one time, with power cycling essential whenever swapping around.

If it is the router itself, I just did a quick and one of the first links suggested threw up these hints.
MovedGoalPosts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2007, 01:08   #3
redcap
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob View Post
To get the modem to recognise there is a change of device attached to it, you must power off the modem, when swapping from PC to router, or to USB. Only one device can be directly wired to the modem at any one time, with power cycling essential whenever swapping around.
thanks for the quick reply - i followed the installation instructions to the word (having tried numerous times) and powering off didnt change anything. also tried it with the computer out of the loop and there was no difference
Old 13-01-2007, 13:54   #4
redcap
Inactive

bump - someone please help!
Old 13-01-2007, 13:58   #5
Nikesh
Inactive

Nikesh has reached the bronze age
Nikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze age

Which modem do you have? Have you got the latest firmware on your router?
Nikesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2007, 15:00   #6
cliffc
Inactive

Services: NTL 10mb, Phone and TV family pack
cliffc is on a distinguished roadcliffc is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by redcap View Post
thanks for the quick reply - i followed the installation instructions to the word (having tried numerous times) and powering off didnt change anything. also tried it with the computer out of the loop and there was no difference
Hi

I know you have said above that you have powerd off but did you do it in the correct order this is important, I worked for a national in home PC repar and configure outfit, and i got called out to exactly the same job as this with the same router. Try doing the power down and up as listed below.

1 Turn off all equipment.
2. Turn on the cable modem and wait for all the lights to become stable (as thay would be if not coneected to the router).
3 Turn on the router and once agian make sure all of the lights are stable.
4. Turn on the PC and once booted up you should have internet access on the pc.

The insructions dont make the above very clear (unless thay have updated them) you must power up as above sorry if i am teaching you suck eggs here lol.

Remember you have to plug the modem into the router with a lan cable and then you must plug the PC to the router with another lan cable dont plug the lan cable to the router and then use a USB connection from the modem direct to the PC as it will not work. If you dont have a Network card in your PC nip out and buy one should be no more than a £5 for a 10/100 one.

If all this failes then i am willing to offer to assist you remotely if you would like this.

Cliff C MCP
cliffc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2007, 17:23   #7
redcap
Inactive

think the modem is the ntl 100 - its the older grey one not the new one which i think is blue.

i have tried powering up in the required order about ten times to no avail - shall give it one more go.

also, i have the modem linked to the computer via usb and the modem>router and router>computer hooked up via ethernet cables.

the search continues!
Old 13-01-2007, 17:28   #8
MovedGoalPosts
Inactive

MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars

You can only have one thing hooked up to the modem at a time. You must disconnect the USB from the modem, before you can use the ethernet.

---------- Post added at 17:28 ---------- Previous post was at 17:24 ----------

To rule out problems with the modem & ethernet, try connecting one computer only direct to the modem via ethernet only. Nothing else is to be connected at the time to the modem, via ethernet or USB. Remember the modem must be powered off when you swap things round, and the computer's ethernet port needs to be active with it's settings for DNS and IP detection all on auto.
Old 13-01-2007, 20:41   #9
cliffc
Inactive

Services: NTL 10mb, Phone and TV family pack
cliffc is on a distinguished roadcliffc is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by redcap View Post
think the modem is the ntl 100 - its the older grey one not the new one which i think is blue.

i have tried powering up in the required order about ten times to no avail - shall give it one more go.

also, i have the modem linked to the computer via usb and the modem>router and router>computer hooked up via ethernet cables.

the search continues!
Hi redcap

Your problem as Rob has said is you cannot have both the ethernet and the USB connected at the same time, unpug the USB Connection from the modem and the computer, then plug the modem into the port on the router marked for the modem, then connect the computer to the router with an etherent cable. once you have it in this configuration repeat the power up as in my previous mail you should then find the router connects to the PC correctly and you will have the internet via the router, and if your going to use the WII with the wireless function make sure you have the security oprions active or you will find your internet will be being used by every one in your area with a wireless network card lol.

Cliff C
cliffc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2007, 22:43   #10
Ubermik
Inactive

Ubermik is on a distinguished roadUbermik is on a distinguished road

Have a look at the thread I just posted, I think it might resolve your problem
Ubermik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2007, 15:41   #11
redcap
Inactive

no dice - i think it could be a problem with the ethernet port on the back of my modem is there any way of running a diagnostic on this?
Old 14-01-2007, 15:46   #12
MovedGoalPosts
Inactive

Can you connect a single PC to the modem via ethernet, not USB (all USB cables disconnected, and modem power cycled), or not? Forget the router for now.
Old 14-01-2007, 16:46   #13
redcap
Inactive

thats why i think the modem might be playing up - i can connect the ethernet card to the router and it shows so the card isnt the problem but when i connect my modem to the ethernet port the light doesnt even light - i can only get a connection via usb. i tried reinstalling my broadband but the cd is playing up freezing the computer but i doubt that is even involved with the problem seeing as i can connect to the internet via usb
Old 14-01-2007, 17:36   #14
Aragorn
Inactive

Aragorn has a nice shiny star
Aragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny star

When you have the PC plugged into the modem via ethernet, please let us know what LED's are lit on the modem.
What OS are you running on your PC? I had a problem setting up a WinME system switching from USB to ethernet because of the USB drivers. Only worked after I had completely removed the USB modem drivers.
Try noting the lights first and let us know.
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2007, 18:09   #15
redcap
Inactive

im using windows xp and the modem with the ethernet cable attached lights up the pwr, sync and rdy lights, obviously when the usb connected it lights up the usb light as well