Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | enable dhcp on ambit cable modem\router

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

enable dhcp on ambit cable modem\router

Old 10-04-2007, 01:26   #1
Alphatek
Inactive

Alphatek is an unknown quantity at this point
enable dhcp on ambit cable modem\router

how do i enable dhcp on a ambit cable modem\router
under gateway, dhcp is listed a disabled with no option to enable it.
i have been through all settings and cannot find it
thanks for the help!
Alphatek is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 10-04-2007, 10:40   #2
Richy99
Inactive

Services: XL broadband
Richy99 is a glorious beacon of lightRichy99 is a glorious beacon of lightRichy99 is a glorious beacon of lightRichy99 is a glorious beacon of lightRichy99 is a glorious beacon of lightRichy99 is a glorious beacon of lightRichy99 is a glorious beacon of light
Re: enable dhcp on ambit cable modem\router

which model of ambit?
and is the internet working?
Richy99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 14:25   #3
Alphatek
Inactive

its an Ambit U10C020 Cable Modem Router
yes the internet is working

i am getting slower speeds when connected to a linksys rv082
than i am connected directy to a pc
between 512k and 1.5m on a 10mb connection

when connected directly(without the router rv082) i am getting real close to 10mb
Old 10-04-2007, 14:31   #4
Bill C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphatek View Post
its an Ambit U10C020 Cable Modem Router
yes the internet is working

i am getting slower speeds when connected to a linksys rv082
than i am connected directy to a pc
between 512k and 1.5m on a 10mb connection

when connected directly(without the router rv082) i am getting real close to 10mb
And you were issued this by Virgin ?
Old 10-04-2007, 14:31   #5
Paul K
Inactive

Services: Sky HD + 16Mb ADSL BT Telephone
Paul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered stars
Paul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered stars

Is that a NTL\ VM supplied modem?
Paul K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 14:33   #6
Bill C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul View Post
Is that a NTL\ VM supplied modem?
Not that i am aware of .

In all my time with cable be it NTL or Virgin i have never seen that modem issued to a customer.

Now unless the OP can prove that modem was issued to him by the cable company i would say its a illegal modem and should NOT be connected to the network. ?.
Old 10-04-2007, 14:44   #7
MovedGoalPosts
Inactive

MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars

Would the OP please confirm the legitimacy of the kit described before any further assistance if offered. As always, Cable Forum cannot support the obtaining of services without a proper subscription.
MovedGoalPosts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 14:55   #8
Alphatek
Inactive

no it is not an illegal modem is was issued by time warner/road runner
Old 10-04-2007, 14:58   #9
MovedGoalPosts
Inactive

MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars

Ah, Oh are you based in the USA? This is a UK based forum where our cable modems are supplied directly by the cable company, Virgin Media.
Old 10-04-2007, 14:59   #10
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Even so, if the activity isn't illegal, someone in the know ought to feel free to post the answer if they like.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 15:00   #11
Alphatek
Inactive

yes i am in the us,... i was unaware that this is a uk board
i was maybe hoping to get some help it seems like a good message board
Old 10-04-2007, 15:02   #12
MovedGoalPosts
Inactive

I'm sure someone will know the answer We just get a bit jumpy when queries come up about bits of kit we haven't seen much of.
Old 10-04-2007, 15:04   #13
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphatek View Post
yes i am in the us,... i was unaware that this is a uk board
i was maybe hoping to get some help it seems like a good message board
We aim to please

We're pretty hot on disallowing discussion about theft of service though. In the UK, all equipment for use on cable is leased to the end user by the cableco, and we have enough members who work in the industry to know which kit people should be using and what they should be allowed to do with it for us to be able to spot dodgy discussion pretty quickly.

However we welcome members from all over the world. If someone with cable modem expertise knows the answer to your question I'm sure they'll post it.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 15:05   #14
Paul K
Inactive

Services: Sky HD + 16Mb ADSL BT Telephone
Paul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered stars
Paul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered stars

According to the manual you have to telnet in and use the
dhcp enable
command.
Quote:
5. Telnet commands
The Cable Router default telnet Login and Password:

Login:admin

Password:cableroot

** Note: Cable Modem Router local Telnet access is 192.168.0.1 port 64623

Cable Modem Router remote Telnet access is Cable-RF-IP-address port 64623

Cable Modem Router remote Telnet access is public-gateway-IP-address port 64623
http://www.ambitbroadband.com/downlo...0userguide.pdf
Actually there is info on the web access from page 31 onwards and DHCP on page 41
Paul K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 15:08   #15
Alphatek
Inactive

it was issued to us by the local cable companny (time warner/roar runner)

but the tech that installed/configured it was, well, less than capable

it seems like a pretty common cable modem. it sholdnt be this hard to enable
dhcp on this modem/router