Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | IP range question

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking

Separate wireless network for my guests

Old 29-03-2017, 19:46   #1
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Separate wireless network for my guests

I need to create a separate wifi network for guests in my B&B. Giving them access to my own wifi is no longer tenable - people's expectations have raced far ahead of the speed of our broadband (about 3.75Mb on a good day).

I have BT with their Hub 6, which does not have the facility to create a separate guest network.

Therefore my wish is to buy a second router and set it up so that guests access it with a password and then get limited bandwidth.

Can anyone recommend the best router to do this - ideally one that will connect to my BT hub wirelessly so I can place it well away, and closer to the guest accommodation. I don't need a wide range of features, just as long as I can limit the bandwidth it dishes out.

Ideally I don't want to have to muck about with custom firmware either - ideally my chosen router will deliver adequate controls out of the box.

Any thoughts or ideas? Ta!
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 30-03-2017, 10:11   #2
arcimedes
cf.mega poster

Services: TV XL ,TiVo X 2, 200Mb Broadband XL phone
arcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Separate wireless network for my guests

My Asus router has a guest network which claims to give access to the internet only and seems to meet your requirements.

The only problem I can see is how you would connect it to the BT hub and whether the hub is capable of handling it correctly
arcimedes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2017, 10:25   #3
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

You would run the risk of having two routers trying to manage the network. That doesn't always work so well.
Old 30-03-2017, 10:56   #4
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Services: VM 500M SH3 thingy in modem mode XL TV V6 Sony Bravia smart TV and M phone
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars

When I'm down in the west country the local pub has a public Wi-Fi and a private one. I can see both on my laptop. There seems to be a Draytek router and box behind the bar and I know the local network is BT, possibly fibre.

There is a guide on the Draytek site but you need to register to access it.

http://www.draytek.co.uk/support/gui...s-guestnetwork

Here's another guide for the Draytek:

Guest Wi-Fi

I'm sure other capable routers support this.
Old 30-03-2017, 11:09   #5
downquark1
cf.mega poster

Services: Plusnet FFTC
downquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appeal
downquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appeal

Since you want this to be a separate box from your router I would expand your search to looking at "wireless access points" and "range extenders" and see if they mention some feature like this.

I have a modem and router all in one box (netgear d7000) that would do what you want but it would need to replace your bt hub.
Old 30-03-2017, 11:20   #6
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

The issue with Access Point and Range Extenders is that they'll extend the main network being generated from the router.

They don't offer (as far as I'm aware) the ability to create a separated guest network for internet service.
Old 30-03-2017, 12:25   #7
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

I came across this site, which provides a system designed for small guest houses and coffee shops:

http://hotspotsystem.com/hotspot-software

They offer instructions for using a range of routers that can be configured to divert to a splash page for guest login. They also sell routers with their own version of OpenWRT which are plug and play. Their support suggests it's as easy as hardwiring their router to my BT Hub, configuring their router with the kinds of restrictions I want, then off we go.

Can anyone see any obvious pitfalls with this approach? I'm tempted by their modified TP Link WR841N unit. I don't need lots of range or capacity.

I really need to do something, last night two of my guests seem to have had their phones set for some kind of cloud backup. They uploaded almost 2GB between them, and that was just in the couple of hours I let them on the network. On a slow ADSL with 448k upload that's a big deal.
Old 30-03-2017, 12:59   #8
ianch99
cf.mega poster

ianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze array
ianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze array

Have a look at this AP:

https://www.ubnt.com/unifi/unifi-ap-ac-lr/

I think it offers a Guest network. It does need a wired connection back to your Hub. The good news is that is uses PPOE so it just needs the Ethernet cable. You could use HomePlugs to deliver the ethernet if this works for you ..
Old 30-03-2017, 13:01   #9
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

Chris, I assume you have an ADSL connection rather than VDSL (Infinity).

What you are proposing to do with the HH6 wil be a nightmare. I assist on the BT community forums and have seen the problems users are having with it.

Fortunately with BT you can use your own modem/roter combo unlike VM where you have to use their hub for a connection.

TP-Link ASUS Netgear etc all have combo's available which will do the job for you. Admittedly DD-WRT firmware will give you even greater control. Merlin firmware for the ASUS range does the same.

Best bet - choose a third party combo, check if there is either dd-WRT (or merlin) firmware available for it and go for the one you want. I would also suggesta dual ADSL/VDSL one so you are ready if and when VDSL is available.
pip08456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2017, 13:29   #10
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Thanks Pip. Yes, we are on ADSL. We have an EO line to a rural exchange that doesn't yet have a date for taking Infinity orders, so we are expecting to be stuck with ADSL for at least a couple more years.

I'm reluctant to ditch the HH6 because I only got it a few weeks ago. They were giving them away in return for an 18 month contract tie in (no skin off my nose as I can't get my internets anywhere else) and I wanted to ditch the HH4 which I had never really liked (tendency to drop wireless connections). I have been generally happy with the HH6; it immediately delivered a faster, more stable connnection to my exchange (I get about 0.25 to 0.5 more Mbs now) vastly improved range and solid wireless connections indoors and for a surprising distance outside as well. The only problem I have had with it was when I tried to assign static IPs to a couple of my primary devices. Pretty soon it was dropping and refusing connections all over the place. It took a hard reset to get it working again.

I will ditch the Hub if I have to though.

What would you say are the major risks in attaching another router to one of the Ethernet LAN ports on the HH6?
Old 01-04-2017, 00:05   #11
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, www.daves-world.co.uk. A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Hom3r has a pair of shiny stars

My Asus RT-N66U has the ability to create 3 2.4GHz & 3 5GHz guest networks.

Quote:
The Guest Network provides Internet connection for guests but restricts access to your local network.
Old 03-04-2017, 12:32   #12
mrmistoffelees

Services: Many
mrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronze
mrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hom3r View Post
My Asus RT-N66U has the ability to create 3 2.4GHz & 3 5GHz guest networks.
Was just about to post the same thing, Although any modern router can do it... All in all it's just a separate VLAN with MAC client isolation running on it. Would also be a good idea to rate limit traffic.

I'd also strongly suggest that you have a landing/splash page with a TOS that they have to accept prior to access being allowed.
Old 03-04-2017, 12:40   #13
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
What would you say are the major risks in attaching another router to one of the Ethernet LAN ports on the HH6?
I wouldn't say there are any over any other make of router.
pip08456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 12:59   #14
mrmistoffelees

Services: Many
mrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronze
mrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronze

Don't attach another router to the HH !!

By default you will end up performing double NAT or potentially treble NAT if carrier grade NAT is in operation.

Replace the HH

If you want to do it properly I'd suggest the following

purchase a 2nd ADSL connection
purchase something like an Netscreen SSG5 and use virtual routing to forward guest traffic over one ADSL circuit and your own traffic over the other.
purchase seperate AP's and install in the building(s)

I'd be quite prepared to come and set this up for you if you wish
Old 03-04-2017, 14:15   #15
RubberyDuck
Inactive

Services: Sky HD & XL TV (V+), XXL BB, XL Phone.
RubberyDuck will become famous soon enoughRubberyDuck will become famous soon enoughRubberyDuck will become famous soon enough

I'm assuming this might be possible (admittedly I know nothing of BT HH's).

Why can't you give the 2.4ghz wireless network to your guests, and keep the 5ghz wireless network for yourself. Obviously have different passwords and ssid's.

Maybe enable QOS if available, for your traffic.
RubberyDuck is offline   Reply With Quote