Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Coming Soon to Virgin Media TV (2017)

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Coming Soon to Virgin Media TV (2017)
Closed Thread

Old 14-08-2017, 14:24   #2206
theone2k10
Inactive

Services: Plusnet 40mb unlimited fibre, roku, Verizon, netflix, nowtv, hbogo, hulu, SKY+HD box sets pack
theone2k10 has reached the bronze age
theone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze age
Re: Coming Soon to Virgin Media TV (2017)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
As I've said on many occasions, I want just one index of all the shows I am watching.

At the moment, I have the one list that provides my recordings and bookmarked programmes on demand and on Netflix.

It is a nuisance to have to go to different systems to access the material being followed there. It would be good to be able to bookmark Amazon stuff as well so all the various series I am following can be accessed immediately.

As the number of streaming services grows, this will become increasingly important, particularly where some programmes get taken off again after a while. Now TV is particularly bad for this.
I can see your point tbh which is why i invested in a windows tv it's ok having a roku or firetv etc but with windows tv box everything is there on one box my uk, us and canadian services.
I can access my netflix, skygo, itv player, kodi etc all on one device without having to switch sources.
Windows tv boxes are only a few quid more than android ones anyway i paid £75 for my windows 10 box and £60 for my android box.
Advertisement
Old 14-08-2017, 16:14   #2207
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by theone2k10 View Post
I can see your point tbh which is why i invested in a windows tv it's ok having a roku or firetv etc but with windows tv box everything is there on one box my uk, us and canadian services.
I can access my netflix, skygo, itv player, kodi etc all on one device without having to switch sources.
Windows tv boxes are only a few quid more than android ones anyway i paid £75 for my windows 10 box and £60 for my android box.
Thanks, theone, I'll look into that.

---------- Post added at 15:14 ---------- Previous post was at 15:14 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
If you cannot see your contradictions then perhaps taking a week out to read your previous posts will reveal everything.
There are no contadictions, Den.
Old 14-08-2017, 17:20   #2208
buckeye
cf.addict

buckeye is just really nicebuckeye is just really nicebuckeye is just really nicebuckeye is just really nicebuckeye is just really nicebuckeye is just really nice

Quote:
A Windows box is the closest to an all in one box however there are still some limitations.
I've been using a Windows HTPC for around 10 years for much of my media consumption.
Any x86/x64 hardware whatever OS its running would always be my first choice for Kodi, imho once you've run Kodi on any semi decent PC all other variants seem inferior.
All the various streaming services do run on Windows but as I said there are some limitations that may annoy some people, I'll try and list all I can remember.
For a start there is no native BBC Iplayer or Sport apps for Windows so both have to be run through a browser in a mouse environment rather than with a remote control, and even on my quite powerful and expensive HTPC these don't run that great (frequent drops in bitrate despite my 200 meg connection), for this reason I prefer using Iplayer through the Kodi addon but there is the odd occasion that stops working when the BBC change their website and the addon author has to catch up, and I view their sports content on the Sport app on one of my devices.
The same is true of Amazon video in that it only works through a browser but without the bitrate drops and you also lose 5:1 DD sound via this method.

Netflix does has a Windows app and it has 5:1 sound but is only mouse friendly.
Netflix via the app or a browser has a serious bug though, if you have a Windows box that only has a HDMI 2 port but your TV is not 4K you will get an error telling you that your TV is not HDCP 2.2 compatible and the only way to get out of this is to pull the power to your Windows device (luckily my HTPC has two HDMI ports 1.4 and 2 so I have to use the 1.4 port to get over this bug).

Now TV also has a Windows app, this works reasonably well, but even though it works a bit better with a Windows remote than Netflix you still need to use a mouse for full control of it.
As I said the Now TV Windows app works reasonably well but it does suffer the occasional bitrate drop that my Now TV smart boxes don't do.

Eurosport player again is a browser and mouse only environment, this is the best I've seen of this combination though, the picture is always spot on in HD and if you prefer to use a remote then there is a very good Kodi addon for it.

For US content I use ESPN, Fox Sports, NBC Sports, HBO, Fox/FX, NBC, ABC and CBS, apart from ESPN and Fox Sports I've given up on using the others on Windows.
The NBC Sports app on Windows doesn't include Premier League Football (even though the awful browser version does), most of the others don't have a Windows app or are just better on my Apple TV 4.
My Windows machine does allow me to set up a virtual VPN router for my US content though which fools my Apple TV 4 into thinking its in the US and I pretty much use the ATV 4 device exclusively for when I want to use US services (its awful for British content though)

I know everyone can't afford to do this or even have the inclination or know how but for the reasons I've listed above I have several devices,
it would be nice to have one to do it all but the one that does do it all is a jack of all trades whereas I prefer to have the best viewing and user experience for each thing I'm watching.

If we were in America there's quite a few devices that would cater for our streaming needs all on their own but we're not and maybe one day one device will do it all well but that day hasn't hit the UK yet.
Old 14-08-2017, 17:32   #2209
MyBraiNz
cf.member

MyBraiNz is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
It was due this month but Liberty Global pulled the plug on it.
Brilliant.. looks like the Amazon Five TV Stick will have to be purchased then
Old 14-08-2017, 17:43   #2210
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by nialli View Post
Why would any normal household need that bandwidth? And at what cost?
You could pretty much say the same about Virgins Broadband packages over the 100mb mark.
Old 14-08-2017, 18:41   #2211
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
You could pretty much say the same about Virgins Broadband packages over the 100mb mark.
I used to think that, but with our use of wi-fi now, the demands of the V6s, tablets, mobiles, all being used at the same time, I'm rather glad of my superhub!

If you are a gamer, I believe it is essential to have plenty of Mbs!

---------- Post added at 17:41 ---------- Previous post was at 17:41 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeye View Post
A Windows box is the closest to an all in one box however there are still some limitations.
I've been using a Windows HTPC for around 10 years for much of my media consumption.
Any x86/x64 hardware whatever OS its running would always be my first choice for Kodi, imho once you've run Kodi on any semi decent PC all other variants seem inferior.
All the various streaming services do run on Windows but as I said there are some limitations that may annoy some people, I'll try and list all I can remember.
For a start there is no native BBC Iplayer or Sport apps for Windows so both have to be run through a browser in a mouse environment rather than with a remote control, and even on my quite powerful and expensive HTPC these don't run that great (frequent drops in bitrate despite my 200 meg connection), for this reason I prefer using Iplayer through the Kodi addon but there is the odd occasion that stops working when the BBC change their website and the addon author has to catch up, and I view their sports content on the Sport app on one of my devices.
The same is true of Amazon video in that it only works through a browser but without the bitrate drops and you also lose 5:1 DD sound via this method.

Netflix does has a Windows app and it has 5:1 sound but is only mouse friendly.
Netflix via the app or a browser has a serious bug though, if you have a Windows box that only has a HDMI 2 port but your TV is not 4K you will get an error telling you that your TV is not HDCP 2.2 compatible and the only way to get out of this is to pull the power to your Windows device (luckily my HTPC has two HDMI ports 1.4 and 2 so I have to use the 1.4 port to get over this bug).

Now TV also has a Windows app, this works reasonably well, but even though it works a bit better with a Windows remote than Netflix you still need to use a mouse for full control of it.
As I said the Now TV Windows app works reasonably well but it does suffer the occasional bitrate drop that my Now TV smart boxes don't do.

Eurosport player again is a browser and mouse only environment, this is the best I've seen of this combination though, the picture is always spot on in HD and if you prefer to use a remote then there is a very good Kodi addon for it.

For US content I use ESPN, Fox Sports, NBC Sports, HBO, Fox/FX, NBC, ABC and CBS, apart from ESPN and Fox Sports I've given up on using the others on Windows.
The NBC Sports app on Windows doesn't include Premier League Football (even though the awful browser version does), most of the others don't have a Windows app or are just better on my Apple TV 4.
My Windows machine does allow me to set up a virtual VPN router for my US content though which fools my Apple TV 4 into thinking its in the US and I pretty much use the ATV 4 device exclusively for when I want to use US services (its awful for British content though)

I know everyone can't afford to do this or even have the inclination or know how but for the reasons I've listed above I have several devices,
it would be nice to have one to do it all but the one that does do it all is a jack of all trades whereas I prefer to have the best viewing and user experience for each thing I'm watching.

If we were in America there's quite a few devices that would cater for our streaming needs all on their own but we're not and maybe one day one device will do it all well but that day hasn't hit the UK yet.
Thank you for taking the trouble to explain this, buckeye. I am not sure I could cope with all that!

I hope the complexity of getting all of your watch lists in one place finally demonstrates to those who seem not to understand the problem that led me to conclude that if Virgin offered as many streaming services as possible, this would be attractive to subscribers and could be their USP.

I think this may bring forward my migration from pay tv to streaming services, but I'll bide my time for now.

LG's veto is seriously disappointing and lacks vision.

Last edited by OLD BOY; 14-08-2017 at 18:45.
Old 14-08-2017, 19:14   #2212
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
I used to think that, but with our use of wi-fi now, the demands of the V6s, tablets, mobiles, all being used at the same time, I'm rather glad of my superhub!

Streaming V6 recordings around your home uses your Wi-Fi network rather than your internet connection obviously the likes of YouTube and Netflix use your internet.

Browsing the internet even by multiple people uses very small amount of your available connection , as for online gaming it's your ping what's the most important.
Old 14-08-2017, 19:44   #2213
theone2k10
Inactive

Services: Plusnet 40mb unlimited fibre, roku, Verizon, netflix, nowtv, hbogo, hulu, SKY+HD box sets pack
theone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze age

Quote:

---------- Post added at 17:41 ---------- Previous post was at 17:41 ----------

Thank you for taking the trouble to explain this, buckeye. I am not sure I could cope with all that!

I hope the complexity of getting all of your watch lists in one place finally demonstrates to those who seem not to understand the problem that led me to conclude that if Virgin offered as many streaming services as possible, this would be attractive to subscribers and could be their USP.

I think this may bring forward my migration from pay tv to streaming services, but I'll bide my time for now.

LG's veto is seriously disappointing and lacks vision.
I'm a gamer and 38mbs is fine for me but i do get 9.8mbs upload too imo if vm stopped being so tight fisted with upload speed they'd be much better.
Edit: MM is absolutely spot on the ping is vital in online gaming however as i live stream too upload is also extremley important.
Old 14-08-2017, 19:54   #2214
Media Boy UK
Also on X (Twitter)

Media Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny stars
Media Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny stars

We see the Red Button is still working on BBC Three (Channel 106) maybe liberty global has step in.
Got inside news but can't post it - PM me with info
Old 14-08-2017, 19:57   #2215
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

https://www.c21media.net/sonys-kix-to-become-pop-max/

Kix is to become Pop Max from 30/8/17. This looks like a permanent change to me; is this the same channel that we get on channel 738 (labelled Kix Power)?

Hum Masala has now started on satellite, so I assume it won't be long before it comes to VM if negotiations went well.
Old 14-08-2017, 20:03   #2216
Media Boy UK
Also on X (Twitter)

Media Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny stars
Media Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
https://www.c21media.net/sonys-kix-to-become-pop-max/

Kix is to become Pop Max from 30/8/17. This looks like a permanent change to me; is this the same channel that we get on channel 738 (labelled Kix Power)?

Hum Masala has now started on satellite, so I assume it won't be long before it comes to VM if negotiations went well.
As far as we know both channels listed by RichardCoulter are not set to launch any time soon.
Old 14-08-2017, 22:04   #2217
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Media Boy View Post
As far as we know both channels listed by RichardCoulter are not set to launch any time soon.
What's the channel on EPG number 738, is it different to Kix
Old 14-08-2017, 22:10   #2218
Media Boy UK
Also on X (Twitter)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
What's the channel on EPG number 738, is it different to Kix
Yes it an part time Power Ranger channel.
Old 14-08-2017, 22:35   #2219
theone2k10
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Media Boy View Post
Yes it an part time Power Ranger channel.
Does it do a mighty morph?
Old 14-08-2017, 22:42   #2220
Media Boy UK
Also on X (Twitter)

Quote:
Does it do a mighty morph?
No it have an power cut after up to six weeks.

It will relaunch 'later in the year'.
Closed Thread