Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | [Update] Windows 10 Discussion

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > General IT Discussion

[Update] Windows 10 Discussion

Old 04-08-2016, 11:43   #1741
tweetiepooh
Virgin Media Employee

Services: Staff MyRates BB: VM XXL TV: VM XL Phone : VM XL
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal
Re: [Update] Windows 10 Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by pip08456 View Post

Any decent shop wouldn't have a machine on it's shelves with outdated software on it.
Why would a shop with boxed Win7/8 PC's open them to upgrade? If it's simply in the box like the software is out of date (and with many manufacturers stuffed with loads of crud).

Also lots of refurbished machines for sale with Win 7 on, though I tend to put Linux on those I get for the family.
Old 04-08-2016, 13:08   #1742
thenry
Inactive

thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star
thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star

These upgrades take too long installing on a hard drive.
thenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 13:12   #1743
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

I will do it when i am not working, hopefully it wont take long here and wont kill the system like last time.
Old 04-08-2016, 21:41   #1744
Jimmy-J
as common as muck

Jimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze array
Jimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze array

Updated to the anniversary edition this morning, all seemed to go well.

Jimmy-J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 22:45   #1745
Ken W
cf.mega poster

Services: LL Phone, TiVo, M+ VM mobile, BBand 150M tier Superhub, TIVO 500 M+
Ken W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful one

I tried to upgrade my Win 10 to the anniversary edition and the process started and then froze completely, so I had to do a clean install and install my apps and configure then the way I wanted which was very time consuming.
Ken W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 01:49   #1746
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

Updated, can't see any issues, wish I could move the clock into the corner though!
Old 07-08-2016, 10:16   #1747
arcimedes
cf.mega poster

Services: TV XL ,TiVo X 2, 200Mb Broadband XL phone
arcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond repute

I have updated one HP desktop and one Acer laptop. Only found two problems. The first affects both PCs. Before when W10 started it displayed my Microsoft account name and the picture that goes with it. Now it doesnt display the picture but if I signout and then signin it does.

With the Acer it somehow lost the key to start Kaspersky AV but on the HP it was fine.

Any suggestions on the picture problem will be gratefully received.
arcimedes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 12:35   #1748
deakin
cf.addict

deakin will become famous soon enoughdeakin will become famous soon enoughdeakin will become famous soon enough

My laptop updated yesterday to Version 1607 Build 14393.10

Since then I've noticed a small but rather welcome reduction in both CPU and memory use. CPU was running at around 12% idle now it's only 4%(ish)
it's the same with memory, down from 1.8Gb to 1.4Gb. Resulting in my temps dropping on idle by around 5c or more. Kinda nice!

Anyone else seeing the same results after the update ?
deakin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 21:10   #1749
Jimmy-J
as common as muck

Jimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze array
Jimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoopZ View Post
Updated, can't see any issues, wish I could move the clock into the corner though!
You could choose not to display the action centre icon? That will move your clock to the far right of the taskbar.

Jimmy-J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 18:09   #1750
gulf4uk
Annette stevenson

Services: Broadband 200mg digital tv .XL Tv package : Phone . win 10 win XP (Favourite)
gulf4uk has a spectacular aura about themgulf4uk has a spectacular aura about themgulf4uk has a spectacular aura about themgulf4uk has a spectacular aura about them

updated my laptop to the Anniversary update this morning had no problems
at All which makes a change . The Desktop clitch i hope has been fixed
will let people know.
This computer still on Win 7 and is perfect for my needs so here it will stay
deff not buying Win 10
gulf4uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 22:38   #1751
admars
cf.mega poster

admars has reached the bronze age
admars has reached the bronze ageadmars has reached the bronze ageadmars has reached the bronze ageadmars has reached the bronze ageadmars has reached the bronze ageadmars has reached the bronze age

people often ask how to find their key, magical jellybean is often the answer, here's quick and neat way...

http://www.zdnet.com/article/windows...l-product-key/

some powershell
admars is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2016, 20:26   #1752
iadom
Oh Lanky Lanky.

Services: 2 V6 running 360. 500mb BB, Phone line, mobile simm.
iadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny star
iadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny star

Got the Win 10 Anniversary update last night.

Apart from the Edge browser now being really slow all seems well apart from a notification that the Intel (R) USB 3.0 extensible host driver has been disabled as it is incompatible.

Is this likely to cause any problems?
iadom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2016, 20:46   #1753
gulf4uk
Annette stevenson

Services: Broadband 200mg digital tv .XL Tv package : Phone . win 10 win XP (Favourite)
gulf4uk has a spectacular aura about themgulf4uk has a spectacular aura about themgulf4uk has a spectacular aura about themgulf4uk has a spectacular aura about them

seems a known problem try reading this

http://www.tenforums.com/drivers-har...er-driver.html
gulf4uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2016, 23:01   #1754
iadom
Oh Lanky Lanky.

Services: 2 V6 running 360. 500mb BB, Phone line, mobile simm.
iadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny star
iadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny star

Had read a few posts about this problem, seems to have been an ongoing problem for quite some time now.

Thanks for the link.
iadom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2016, 09:28   #1755
arcimedes
cf.mega poster

Services: TV XL ,TiVo X 2, 200Mb Broadband XL phone
arcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond repute

The last update on Sept 16 has reinstated my picture on the login screen
arcimedes is offline   Reply With Quote