Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Linksys router keeps rebooting with TW

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Linksys router keeps rebooting with TW

Old 19-09-2006, 09:42   #1
nomad74
Inactive

nomad74 is an unknown quantity at this point
Linksys router keeps rebooting with TW

Hope you guys can help with this one...

Network Config:

ISP: TW
CM: Motorola SB4100
ROUTER: Linksys WRT55AG v2 (ethernet cabled from Internet Port to CM).
Desktop PC cabled to one of the router's LAN ports.
Laptop connects wirelessly to router.

This config worked 24/7 for 4 months, then one morning a few weeks ago just gave up. I tried rebooting everything (including leaving everything powered down for > 12 hours) - no joy.

My investigations showed the following:

1) Desktop or laptop cabled direct to CM allows normal internet access.
2) Router powered up without the link to the CM allows wired and wireless access to the router's set-up page (192.168.1.1).
3) Making the cable from router to CM causes router to reboot every 20-30 seconds before any connections can be stabilised.

Spoke to Linksys tech support (2x40 mins calls!) and after the usual scripts had been followed (hard reboot, firmware upgrade etc) they decided the router was faulty and have offered a replacement. However, speaking to a techie friend, he reckons that the problem could be with TW. It sounded to him like the router was unable to logon to the CM due to some config problem at TW. It is a bit suspicious that this happened within a few days of me requesting a downgrade in connection speed (4M to 2M)...

I've tried talking to TW tech support, but I lack the knowledge (and the strength to be honest) to get past the 1st line support operatives who only know how to reboot the hardware.

Anyone got any ideas? I can try the replacement router offer from Linksys, but I wanted to be sure that the problem isn't more subtle first.

PS. I've had a look at the CM logs (192.168.100.1) and it appears to indicate that there is a problem with MAC address filters and being unable to learn the MAC address of the CPE. Does this help at all?
nomad74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 19-09-2006, 09:44   #2
Nemesis
Inactive

Services: Virgin stuff
Nemesis has a nice shiny starNemesis has a nice shiny starNemesis has a nice shiny star
Nemesis has a nice shiny starNemesis has a nice shiny starNemesis has a nice shiny starNemesis has a nice shiny starNemesis has a nice shiny starNemesis has a nice shiny starNemesis has a nice shiny starNemesis has a nice shiny starNemesis has a nice shiny starNemesis has a nice shiny starNemesis has a nice shiny starNemesis has a nice shiny starNemesis has a nice shiny starNemesis has a nice shiny starNemesis has a nice shiny star
Send a message via MSN to Nemesis
Re: Linksys router keeps rebooting with TW

I'd go with the replacement first, and the troubleshoot if necessary after that.
Nemesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2006, 13:19   #3
pop80_uk
Inactive

pop80_uk has a brilliant futurepop80_uk has a brilliant futurepop80_uk has a brilliant futurepop80_uk has a brilliant futurepop80_uk has a brilliant futurepop80_uk has a brilliant futurepop80_uk has a brilliant futurepop80_uk has a brilliant futurepop80_uk has a brilliant futurepop80_uk has a brilliant futurepop80_uk has a brilliant futurepop80_uk has a brilliant future

Get the replacement, and then if required contact TW support. You could also prt over the MAC address of another device which you could place on the network.
pop80_uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2006, 14:41   #4
nomad74
Inactive

Thanks pop80_uk. Port what MAC address though? The CM already reliably connects with the NICs of both my desktop and laptop. It seems it only has issues with the MAC of the Router's WAN port. Assuming the MAC is the problem...

I'm going to initate the return of the router anyway, but I can't escape the feeling that the problem will remain. I can just hear the TW support now, "We don't support router's....." Which is a handy policy to have, 'cos it means they can ignore you when you have a router in your system.
Old 19-09-2006, 19:10   #5
Mauldor
Inactive

Services: 50mbit, Base TV, Base Phone
Mauldor is a glorious beacon of lightMauldor is a glorious beacon of lightMauldor is a glorious beacon of lightMauldor is a glorious beacon of lightMauldor is a glorious beacon of lightMauldor is a glorious beacon of lightMauldor is a glorious beacon of light

I bought a Linksys router also some time back - WRK54G, which was bascially a Wireless router combined with a PCmCIA Wireless card, i bought this in Staples at the time mainly as it was the only router about that supported 100mbit WAn port (for 10mbit).

Now if we Exclude wireless (as I have it disabled) bascially i am plugging the router into the SB4100 and from the 4 ports - one is connected to my Netgear 1Gbit Switch (5 ports) and the other is connected to a netgear 8 port 10/100 Switch.

The Router will Radomly lock up - I will know about this as no internet is coming forth on any machine. I too rang and got replaced by Linksys and the new router (same model) did the very same thing. I can make the router drop off (temp) buy means of going into any Online game and doing a Server refresh (BF:2, Fear Combat etc). What this does is drop the Router and after 5 mins it comes back - which is a pain as I loose all MSN/Skype at this time.

After doing some research on the net - Half the people say this is very common fault while others have never seen such a thing. Although Linksys is a good Router overall (so i heard), i will bascially not be buying this model again - maybe I shall give Netgear a Go. I know my SMCWire router and a belkin Wireless thing (old) never did this very thing - My guess is too much data is flooding in and causes it to crash or something..

Mauldor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2006, 17:21   #6
Begize
Inactive

Services: XL TV (TiVo 1TB & V HD), XL Broadband (Superhub 2 in modem mode), L Telephone
Begize is a jewel in the roughBegize is a jewel in the roughBegize is a jewel in the roughBegize is a jewel in the roughBegize is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mauldor View Post
I bought a Linksys router also some time back - WRK54G, which was bascially a Wireless router combined with a PCmCIA Wireless card, i bought this in Staples at the time mainly as it was the only router about that supported 100mbit WAn port (for 10mbit).

Now if we Exclude wireless (as I have it disabled) bascially i am plugging the router into the SB4100 and from the 4 ports - one is connected to my Netgear 1Gbit Switch (5 ports) and the other is connected to a netgear 8 port 10/100 Switch.

The Router will Radomly lock up - I will know about this as no internet is coming forth on any machine. I too rang and got replaced by Linksys and the new router (same model) did the very same thing. I can make the router drop off (temp) buy means of going into any Online game and doing a Server refresh (BF:2, Fear Combat etc). What this does is drop the Router and after 5 mins it comes back - which is a pain as I loose all MSN/Skype at this time.

After doing some research on the net - Half the people say this is very common fault while others have never seen such a thing. Although Linksys is a good Router overall (so i heard), i will bascially not be buying this model again - maybe I shall give Netgear a Go. I know my SMCWire router and a belkin Wireless thing (old) never did this very thing - My guess is too much data is flooding in and causes it to crash or something..
The WRK54G is a different beast altogether - it's a cut down version of the WRT54G range and is made for a price. I too had the same problems with two different WRK54G boxes running two different firmwares and in the end gave up and got a Netgear which works beautifully.

I hear good things about the rest of the Linksys range and in particular the WRT54G but I personally wouldn't buy another Linksys product because their support was awful ("have you tried rebooting it Sir?" was the extent of the helpline).
Begize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 10:52   #7
nomad74
Inactive

Hi Guys,

Just thought I'd update you on this one.

Got my replacement router yesterday, powered it up and ....

it behaves just like the first one. Can't say I'm surprised. Now I've got to repeat all the idiot tests with India.

Assuming this is not a faulty batch of routers (haven't compared serial numbers yet, but I will) this indicates that the problem IS something to do with TW and something 1st line support isn't able to sort out.

Anyone have any advice on getting past 1st line support with TW? If I'm asked to reboot the hardware one more time...
Old 04-10-2006, 12:22   #8
MovedGoalPosts
Inactive

MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars

Does the router have the current firmware on it?
MovedGoalPosts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 13:06   #9
nomad74
Inactive

Yeah - both old and new router have latest firmware.
Old 09-10-2006, 13:26   #10
nomad74
Inactive

Guys,

Just a quick note to tie this one up.

I have no idea why, or how, but out of the blue this problem has been resolved. It just started working when I was wrestling with it the other night. I have no idea what I did differently to the other times. The only differences I can identify is :

1) I was running a packet sniffer at the time, hoping to catch the fault.
2) The laptop (and therefore the other source of wireless signals) wasn't in the house.

Can't image what difference either of these facts could make, so I'm assuming either TW changed whatever was causing the problem, or the gremlins got bored and went to torment someone else!