Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Telewest Wireless Problems

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Telewest Wireless Problems

Old 12-10-2006, 19:42   #1
jubblyray
Inactive

jubblyray is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Telewest Wireless Problems

HI THERE,
THIS IS MY FIRST POST ON HERE HOPEFULLY YOU CAN HELP ME I`M HAVING PROBLEMS WITH MY PHILIPS WIRELESS ROUTER SNB5600 IF THAT HELPS, MY PROBLEM IS THAT AFTER A WHILE IE 20 MINUTES OF BEING ABLE TO ACCESS THE INTERNET ON MY BASE PC WHICH IS WIRED FROM MY PHILIPS WIRELESS ROUTER WHICH IN TURN GETS ITS DATA FROM TELEWEST MODEM I KEEP LOSING MY CONNECTION ACCORDING TO MY LAN PROPERTIES THE CONNECTION IS STILL THERE BUT TO GET IT BACK I HAVE TO REBOOT PC TELEWEST MODEM AND PHILIPS ROUTER ANY HELP WOULD BE MOST WELCOME CHEERS RAY
jubblyray is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 12-10-2006, 19:46   #2
MovedGoalPosts
Inactive

MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
Re: TELEWEST WIRELESS PROBLEMS

to Cable Forum

Firstly, no need for the Capitals, often referred to as shouting in internet speak, it's actually quite hard to read.

Are you doing anything specific on your connection when this happens? If you are using the wired connection, is anything else connected wirelessly? I'm assuming your wireless network is secure so other's can't be borrowing it?

Presumably you are happy your antiviruse and spyware is up to date?

Do you get disconnection problems if your PC is connected direct to the modem and not via the router?
MovedGoalPosts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 20:06   #3
jubblyray
Inactive

thankyou for your fast response to my question , mcafee up to date, windows xp sp2 latest updates installed, adware up to date, wireless connection security enabled via encryption, when connected directly to the telewest modem no problems with connection. cheers ray
Old 13-10-2006, 13:48   #4
lordsi86
Inactive

Services: NTL 4 meg BB Cable tv and phone
lordsi86 is an unknown quantity at this point

This is exactly the problem I am having and many other students in our area.

Let me just check i got the right idea....

When u connect the cable modem straight to ure pc everything is fine.
Have you tried using a wireless connection? On mine it actually dissapears more often when its using a wireless connection.
You cabled computer disconnects every 20 mins or so... but the properties still show it as connected.

This is what happens to mine also, but i have NTL BB not telewest and a belkin router. (i no one and the same now) I have just spent a very interesting half hour on the phone to ntl followed by belkin who both are no help what so ever.

The internet gateway icon in network connections dissapears but the network itself is still connected. sometimes it dissapears all together. i am having to leave my computer on 24/7 with the CM attached to it and just share the connection thru an access point. this seems to work but it involves the pc being on way more than id like it to be.

I have some network experience and a fair bit of computer experience and nothing i have tried seems to work.

Oddly at home i have telewest and a linksys router and it has always worked all the time straight out of the box.

I'm sorry i cant really be of much help but you are not alone. there are many ppl around my area who have the same problems.... and ntl and the router support company arent really any help.

Simon
lordsi86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2006, 14:41   #5
jubblyray
Inactive

Cool Re: TELEWEST WIRELESS PROBLEMS

thanks for the response, i`m glad i`m not the only one pulling my hair out.
have spoken to philips waiting for a phone call back of one of their tefal people, if they cant help the philips will be going back and i think it will be a netgear next.
cheers ray
Old 13-10-2006, 21:08   #6
janipewter
Inactive

Services: Sky HD Multiroom, VM XL Phone, VM XXL BB
janipewter is just really nicejanipewter is just really nicejanipewter is just really nicejanipewter is just really nicejanipewter is just really nicejanipewter is just really nice
Send a message via MSN to janipewter

Don't get a Netgear router, get a Linksys. I especially recommend the WRT54G or GS model.
janipewter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2006, 21:34   #7
lordsi86
Inactive

As you seem to be having the same problem as me... dont get linksys... that was the one i tried first..... just the same problem... it's wierd... just been to a mates house who has ntl and a belkin router same as me and there is no problem at all. this is mitey confusing
Old 14-10-2006, 16:45   #8
janipewter
Inactive

Services: Sky HD Multiroom, VM XL Phone, VM XXL BB
janipewter is just really nicejanipewter is just really nicejanipewter is just really nicejanipewter is just really nicejanipewter is just really nicejanipewter is just really nice
Send a message via MSN to janipewter

I had a Netgear WGR614v6 and after a couple of months of working fine, it started to randomly drop the connection, and the WLAN light would turn off. To sort it, I had to reset it.

I know 3 other people who have the exact same model and they all have this problem, so I asked around what to buy and I was recommended a Linksys WRT54G. After searching ebay for a while I found a decent WRT54GL so I bought it and it has been fine. While the Netgear couldn't even reach a day of uptime, this one has over a month. I know someone with a WRT54GS and it has over a year of uptime, he's never had a problem with it.
janipewter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2006, 17:36   #9
lordsi86
Inactive

I dont doubt that linksys routers are probably the best, i have one at home myself that works like a charm. never disconnected once in years of use... I was pointing out that as the problem is similar to mine and i already tried a different router (i actaully started with linksys then switched to belkin) its not really worth forking out another £60 for something that probably wont work any better than the current router.