Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin Media 70, 150 & 200 Mb Upgrades

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media News Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Virgin Media 70, 150 & 200 Mb Upgrades

Old 24-08-2015, 16:13   #106
Kushan
FORMER Virgin Media Staff

Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal
Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal
re: Virgin Media 70, 100 & 200 Mb Upgrades

Quote:
Originally Posted by roughbeast View Post
I have always favoured a nationalised network to all premises, but available for ISPs to deliver to the punter.

The kind of money that is being invested in HS2 would be better spent on a national fibre network. Imagine the employment that would be generated, in all parts of the country, by the construction work alone, not to mention the boost it would give to commerce everywhere as high quality broadband becomes available in every corner of the country.
Indeed, that's what I was hinting at. The money it takes to shave 30mins off a train journey to London is more than it would take to blanket the entire country in fibre. The economies of scale alone would likely make it cheaper than copper and the benefits would last generations.
Kushan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 24-08-2015, 17:50   #107
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kushan View Post
I don't disagree, but I'm not sure how that could apply to the likes of Virgin in a way that's sustainable without pumping a lot of public money into it.
Given the public money pumped into the USO for landline phones, the postal service, and BDUK, I don't see the issue with spending some of it on subsidizing the remaining "non-economically feasible" properties.

---------- Post added at 17:50 ---------- Previous post was at 17:50 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by roughbeast View Post
The kind of money that is being invested in HS2
Don't get me started on HS2... Building any classic railways in this day and age is a farce.
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2015, 17:57   #108
Harryn9000
cf.geek

Services: Virgin 500MB BB , VM V6 x2, XL tv, Xl Phone Superhub 3
Harryn9000 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Maximus View Post
Same here dude, the most i can get through openreach is 53/16 whereas on VM i pretty much always get 152/12 (recently significantly more)
i'd be lucky to get that, id not even get above 10mb off bt atm
Harryn9000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2015, 13:06   #109
MrIca
Inactive

MrIca is on a distinguished roadMrIca is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignitionnet View Post
Very few customers in that enterprise for right now.

BT, Sky, etc, could try leaning harder on Openreach to provide more competitive technology and indicating a desire to pay for it, rather than in the case of Sky and especially TalkTalk complaining about the price Openreach charge them for FTTC.
If CPs like Sky and TalkTalk were willing to pay more who knows maybe we wouldn't be going down the g.fast route and FTTP might be more viable.

Bear in mind, in areas where OR provide FTTP BT Consumer is the only major ISP to provide service over it. It's not a perfect example as the cost to the CPs should be similar as far as linking their kit into the Openreach FTTP. But there has to be something that's financially putting them off Openreach FTTP.
MrIca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2015, 13:40   #110
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harryn9000 View Post
i'd be lucky to get that, id not even get above 10mb off bt atm
I was getting 10Mb off BT a couple months ago, now I'm getting 80/20. There's still hope yet!
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2015, 14:19   #111
Kushan

Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by qasdfdsaq View Post
I was getting 10Mb off BT a couple months ago, now I'm getting 80/20. There's still hope yet!
It's just occurred to me that your actual download and upload speeds (80Mbps and 20Mbps) are the same as your download/upload ratio as a percentage (80%:20%).

I don't know why this amuses me but it does.
Old 25-08-2015, 20:07   #112
Harryn9000
cf.geek

Services: Virgin 500MB BB , VM V6 x2, XL tv, Xl Phone Superhub 3
Harryn9000 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by qasdfdsaq View Post
The cab that supply my house is still under review so could be next year before I get it
Harryn9000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2015, 23:03   #113
mmm
cf.geek

mmm has a spectacular aura about themmmm has a spectacular aura about themmmm has a spectacular aura about themmmm has a spectacular aura about them

Quote:
It's just occurred to me that your actual download and upload speeds (80Mbps and 20Mbps) are the same as your download/upload ratio as a percentage (80%:20%).

I don't know why this amuses me but it does.
Its also the "Pareto principle" numbers!
mmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2015, 09:02   #114
roger skillin
Inactive

Services: V+ XL,Broadband XXL, Phone with talk unlimited and extra TIVO box
roger skillin has a fine set of Quadsroger skillin has a fine set of Quadsroger skillin has a fine set of Quadsroger skillin has a fine set of Quadsroger skillin has a fine set of Quadsroger skillin has a fine set of Quadsroger skillin has a fine set of Quadsroger skillin has a fine set of Quadsroger skillin has a fine set of Quadsroger skillin has a fine set of Quadsroger skillin has a fine set of Quadsroger skillin has a fine set of Quadsroger skillin has a fine set of Quadsroger skillin has a fine set of Quads

Well i just got the e-mail this morning about the speed upgrades and also an e-mail to say i'm included in the trial, anyone know what the trial is yet?
roger skillin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2015, 11:05   #115
Kushan

IF we knew, we wouldn't be able to post here about it anyway.
Old 27-08-2015, 11:46   #116
roger skillin
Inactive

Services: V+ XL,Broadband XXL, Phone with talk unlimited and extra TIVO box
roger skillin has a fine set of Quadsroger skillin has a fine set of Quadsroger skillin has a fine set of Quadsroger skillin has a fine set of Quadsroger skillin has a fine set of Quadsroger skillin has a fine set of Quadsroger skillin has a fine set of Quadsroger skillin has a fine set of Quadsroger skillin has a fine set of Quadsroger skillin has a fine set of Quadsroger skillin has a fine set of Quadsroger skillin has a fine set of Quadsroger skillin has a fine set of Quadsroger skillin has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
IF we knew, we wouldn't be able to post here about it anyway.
True, it's been a while since my last trial for SH2 and we had to keep quiet about that
roger skillin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2015, 11:58   #117
Ignitionnet
Inactive

Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars
Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by roger skillin View Post
Well i just got the e-mail this morning about the speed upgrades and also an e-mail to say i'm included in the trial, anyone know what the trial is yet?
Given you signed up for a broadband hardware trial it seems fair to assume it's a trial of new broadband hardware.
Ignitionnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2015, 23:39   #118
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignitionnet View Post
I think I've already gone on record as saying that VM could, if they chose, be at 600Mb by 2016.

If the commercial need is there they can do it without the costs being too extortionate.

BT's G.fast will be distance limited just as other xDSL technologies are, and will need new fibre installs deeper into the Openreach network. It will not be a competitive consideration for VM for a while, just as Openreach FTTP isn't right now, as it only covers about 200,000 properties in the country.
BT has begun trials of its new G.fast broadband technology, which provides ultrafast speeds of over 10 times faster than the current UK average.

Huntingdon in Cambridgeshire is the first town involved in the tests being carried out by Openreach, with residents in the trial able to access speeds of up to 330Mbps...

...The company plans to start deploying G.fast either next year or in 2017, rolling it out alongside FTTC and FTTP, providing that the trials go well. Fingers crossed that’s the case, as this will be a major boon for internet speeds in the UK to say the least.

Read more: http://www.itproportal.com/2015/08/2...#ixzz3k9Ulu3BU
pip08456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2015, 00:59   #119
Ignitionnet
Inactive

Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars
Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars

Indeed. They hope to reach the majority of the UK by 2025, and have it available to 'millions', which could be less than 10% of the UK, by 2020.

I'm sure VM, running at 300Mb across nearly 50% of the UK by 2016, will be quaking in their boots at the prospect of BT 'hoping' to offer 'up to' 500Mb to a smaller footprint than theirs by 2025.

By 2025 VM will be in excess of 1Gb, and be delivering that to over 2/3rds of the UK's homes and businesses.

There is no speed competition here, and BT have never had any interest in one and aren't going to start now. BT know there's no point and no money to be made from them pushing fibre deeper into their network in any kind of hurry. They were hoping FTTC would be adequate for at least 12 years.
Ignitionnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2015, 01:18   #120
alanbjames
R.I.P.

Services: XL Phone, XXXL Gig1 BB SH4 (wired).
alanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these parts

ive had no email about any speed upgrades?

When are they due to start rolling out?
alanbjames is offline   Reply With Quote