Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin Media 70, 150 & 200 Mb Upgrades

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media News Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Virgin Media 70, 150 & 200 Mb Upgrades

Old 22-08-2015, 12:59   #91
Kushan
FORMER Virgin Media Staff

Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal
Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal
re: Virgin Media 70, 100 & 200 Mb Upgrades

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrysalis View Post
Which shows how silly the EU 5ghz channel range is.

Although more than 8 channels are available, lots of vendors are locking them off as they dont want to implement complex restrictions on the radar channels.
I think you're talking about two different things?
Kushan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 22-08-2015, 13:16   #92
Chrysalis
cf.mega poster

Services: Gig1, Hub 5
Chrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronze
Chrysalis is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignitionnet View Post
Given your desperation to save a few quid on Virgin Media services as you happily tolerate crap speeds from Plusnet in return for a big discount it's fair to say you aren't the right person to look to for beta testing of BT's G.fast products.

G.fast is a way from production yet, sadly. Longer term Openreach have bugger all to compete with Virgin Media as they made the wrong bet. They hoped they could spend the bare minimum on FTTC and collect the plaudits for delivering 'fibre optic broadband' and it's looking increasingly like they were wrong. Virgin Media can deliver 600Mb without breaking a sweat, Openreach can't deliver 500Mb to me without further investment in deeper fibre.
yeah.

Of course delivering access speed and throughput are two different things, I have no trust in VM to have the right capacity in my local area.

For me personally FTTC has been overall great, In reality 40mbit+ speeds are fine for my usage, and as such both g.fast and VM's upgrades dont excite me as its a decreasing rate of returns the higher you go. Higher speeds will of course excite those who have torrents going 24/7 for 4k content and as such the demand on backhaul will skyrocket and it will be a test for both BTw and VM if they can cope.

What I value is stable low latency and reliability during peak hours not just been fast at off peak.
Chrysalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2015, 16:12   #93
roughbeast
cf.mega poster

Services: Vodafone/City Fibre Gigafast 900
roughbeast has reached the bronze age
roughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze age

Quote:
yeah.

Of course delivering access speed and throughput are two different things, I have no trust in VM to have the right capacity in my local area.

For me personally FTTC has been overall great, In reality 40mbit+ speeds are fine for my usage, and as such both g.fast and VM's upgrades dont excite me as its a decreasing rate of returns the higher you go. Higher speeds will of course excite those who have torrents going 24/7 for 4k content and as such the demand on backhaul will skyrocket and it will be a test for both BTw and VM if they can cope.

What I value is stable low latency and reliability during peak hours not just been fast at off peak.
We will have to see if VM's network upgrades will delver that continuity of service geographically and throughout the typical day and week.
roughbeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2015, 22:46   #94
Harryn9000
cf.geek

Services: Virgin 500MB BB , VM V6 x2, XL tv, Xl Phone Superhub 3
Harryn9000 is an unknown quantity at this point

if openreach was any good they wouldnt do half a job, only half my road has infinity and no chance of me getting it anytime soon i've no choice but to have vm for internet as bt cant even give me a decent speed
Harryn9000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2015, 22:58   #95
Kushan

Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal

There's a certain sense of Irony in being able to get VM but not BT.
Old 23-08-2015, 10:56   #96
Ignitionnet
Inactive

Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars
Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Which shows how silly the EU 5ghz channel range is.

Although more than 8 channels are available, lots of vendors are locking them off as they dont want to implement complex restrictions on the radar channels.
Not sure of the relevance of DOCSIS channels to the 5GHz WiFi band.
Ignitionnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2015, 10:57   #97
Kymmy
Inactive

Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kushan View Post
There's a certain sense of Irony in being able to get VM but not BT.

It's been like that for ever here, when VM was 4Mb adsl was 512Kb here, even now I can't get above 16Mb with adsl but have 152Mb constantly with VM
Kymmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2015, 12:36   #98
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harryn9000 View Post
if openreach was any good they wouldnt do half a job, only half my road has infinity and no chance of me getting it anytime soon i've no choice but to have vm for internet as bt cant even give me a decent speed
Same here dude, the most i can get through openreach is 53/16 whereas on VM i pretty much always get 152/12 (recently significantly more)
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2015, 20:35   #99
alanbjames
R.I.P.

Services: XL Phone, XXXL Gig1 BB SH4 (wired).
alanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these parts

Why is it though both BT and Virgin only do part of some roads and not others?.

My friend lives on a street where only the opposite side of the road can get Virgin.
alanbjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2015, 20:43   #100
Kushan

Because at some point, someone calculated what it would cost to cable the other side of the street and deemed it wasn't a good investment. I'm sure there's some reason why the opposite side of the street would have been marginally more expensive - perhaps capacity was hit in that area, or some kind of landmark prevents a straight run. Green boxes can only accommodate so many connections (40 or something?), maybe they hit their limit and it wasn't worth the cost of building another?
Old 23-08-2015, 23:16   #101
Ignitionnet
Inactive

Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars
Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Because at some point, someone calculated what it would cost to cable the other side of the street and deemed it wasn't a good investment. I'm sure there's some reason why the opposite side of the street would have been marginally more expensive - perhaps capacity was hit in that area, or some kind of landmark prevents a straight run. Green boxes can only accommodate so many connections (40 or something?), maybe they hit their limit and it wasn't worth the cost of building another?
From what I've seen a common explanation seems to be that the company that originally built the network ran out of cash part way through their build.
Ignitionnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2015, 00:23   #102
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanbjames View Post
Why is it though both BT and Virgin only do part of some roads and not others?.

My friend lives on a street where only the opposite side of the road can get Virgin.
Don't think BT does this - it is under a legal obligation to connect all premises, but obviously not all to fibre - this will be an economic assessment.
1andrew1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2015, 13:07   #103
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

Quote:
Because at some point, someone calculated what it would cost to cable the other side of the street and deemed it wasn't a good investment.
Which is why we need a universal service obligation for next-gen broadband.

---------- Post added at 13:07 ---------- Previous post was at 13:06 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1andrew1 View Post
Don't think BT does this - it is under a legal obligation to connect all premises, but obviously not all to fibre - this will be an economic assessment.
There's the added issue of exchange-only lines with BT, which largely depend on when the building/line was put in and not it's location on a street.
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2015, 13:37   #104
Kushan

Quote:
Originally Posted by qasdfdsaq View Post
Which is why we need a universal service obligation for next-gen broadband.
I don't disagree, but I'm not sure how that could apply to the likes of Virgin in a way that's sustainable without pumping a lot of public money into it.

Like the kind of money they've spent on HS2...
Old 24-08-2015, 16:07   #105
roughbeast
cf.mega poster

Services: Vodafone/City Fibre Gigafast 900
roughbeast has reached the bronze age
roughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze age

Quote:
I don't disagree, but I'm not sure how that could apply to the likes of Virgin in a way that's sustainable without pumping a lot of public money into it.

Like the kind of money they've spent on HS2...
I have always favoured a nationalised network to all premises, but available for ISPs to deliver to the punter.

The kind of money that is being invested in HS2 would be better spent on a national fibre network. Imagine the employment that would be generated, in all parts of the country, by the construction work alone, not to mention the boost it would give to commerce everywhere as high quality broadband becomes available in every corner of the country.
roughbeast is offline   Reply With Quote