Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin Media 70, 150 & 200 Mb Upgrades

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media News Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Virgin Media 70, 150 & 200 Mb Upgrades

Old 03-09-2015, 09:49   #196
Ignitionnet
Inactive

Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars
Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars
re: Virgin Media 70, 100 & 200 Mb Upgrades

Quote:
Originally Posted by adduxi View Post
If I'm reading my config correctly on BT Infinity, the 19Mb is a capped figure.
The upload attainable rate on my line is 29.9Mb, but the set rate is 20Mb.
Indeed. Capped to 79,999kbps down, 19,999kbps up at DSL layer.

Due to loss of performance over distance alongside interference from other lines most customers are unable to hit those numbers sadly.

---------- Post added at 09:49 ---------- Previous post was at 09:48 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kushan View Post
Yeah but for how long before it gets STM'd? :P
Haha! No idea, but STM is for now quite important to keep the usage of those who simply must seed about 30 torrents at a time under some kind of control.
Ignitionnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 03-09-2015, 09:51   #197
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by adduxi View Post
If I'm reading my config correctly on BT Infinity, the 19Mb is a capped figure.
The upload attainable rate on my line is 29.9Mb, but the set rate is 20Mb.
Correct it is capped and could offer more if the cap were removed.

It's worth remembering that Virgin have the upper hand anyway as distance from the cabinet doesn't matter too much to their customers.
pip08456 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 11:40   #198
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignitionnet View Post

FTTC Infinity delivers at most 19Mb of usable upload in my experience. The Virgin product will deliver slightly over 20.
Until it gets STM'd, or you're doing something that VM's traffic shaping doesn't like

---------- Post added at 11:40 ---------- Previous post was at 11:39 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignitionnet View Post

Haha! No idea, but STM is for now quite important to keep the usage of those who simply must seed about 30 torrents at a time under some kind of control.
30? I'm seeding closer to 1000.
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 12:05   #199
Kushan
FORMER Virgin Media Staff

Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal
Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal

I almost never hit upload STM, so I'm ok with this.
Kushan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 12:16   #200
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

Quote:
I almost never hit upload STM, so I'm ok with this.
I left VM back when there wasn't any STM on the top tier.

Still. VM's network is better for heavy downloaders, Openreach's network is better for heavy uploaders. No change there then.
Old 03-09-2015, 12:24   #201
Kushan

Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal

Indeed and I think part of the reason that has happened is because, historically, uploading has never been a big deal to most people. The vast majority of people mainly download and don't upload a lot. That has all changed in the last few years, first with the rise of youtube and now with the advent of things like twitch, it's becoming more of a necessity and it would seem that Virgin has taken notice. Hopefully 10:1 is back on the RADAR, even if we don't see it for a few years.
Old 03-09-2015, 12:28   #202
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Hopefully 10:1 is back on the RADAR, even if we don't see it for a few years.
Even if not, 300/20 is fairly close, and way better than the 50/1.5 I used to have a few years back.
Old 03-09-2015, 14:00   #203
Kushan

Quote:
Originally Posted by qasdfdsaq View Post
Even if not, 300/20 is fairly close, and way better than the 50/1.5 I used to have a few years back.
Indeed, I believe that original switch to 10:1 was a direct response to the changing landscape of internet usage. Sadly, the current ratios probably fall under the "Good enough" category but one can hope that improvements will come. Perhaps DOCSIS 3.1 will make a big leap with it's apparent 25% efficiency gain on the upstream side.
Old 03-09-2015, 14:10   #204
Chrysalis
cf.mega poster

Services: Gig1, Hub 5
Chrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronze
Chrysalis is cast in bronze

I expect BT could do 25mbit/sec upload with 10% of people hitting that speed quite easily now, they seem to have left more buffer on the upstream than downstream in terms of sync speed. But I guess also VM could push for that speed as well on their rollout albeit with the risks of congestion.

BT are now banking on their boring g.fast which I think will be quite a slow rollout for those not near a cabinet.

Personally I would rather see 100/100 then say 300/20 or 300/30 and also of course for me good 24/7 performance with no visible contention is better than say blinding speeds at 4am but a fight with the mob for bandwidth at 9pm.
Chrysalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 14:48   #205
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrysalis View Post
I expect BT could do 25mbit/sec upload with 10% of people hitting that speed quite easily now, they seem to have left more buffer on the upstream than downstream in terms of sync speed.
It's something like a 3:2 divide in bandwidth.

Quote:
BT are now banking on their boring g.fast which I think will be quite a slow rollout for those not near a cabinet.
Maybe, maybe not. Those that are near a cabinet are going to see the least benefit so I don't see why they'd be prioritised.
Old 03-09-2015, 19:04   #206
Ignitionnet
Inactive

Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars
Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Maybe, maybe not. Those that are near a cabinet are going to see the least benefit so I don't see why they'd be prioritised.
Easiest install of new G.fast kit. Either in existing cabinet or build a new, smaller one next to it and re-use the current cabinet's power and fibre ducts.

Quote:
It's something like a 3:2 divide in bandwidth.
Bit more asymmetrical than that.

Old 03-09-2015, 21:38   #207
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

Fine, 5:2 then.

BUT: If you consider half the D1 band is crippled and the top frequencies (i.e. D3) are the first to go on longer lines, then... Ah screw it. You're right. Again.
Old 03-09-2015, 22:02   #208
Ignitionnet
Inactive

5:2 is actually about right - people seem to start losing upstream when their downstream drops below ~60Mb so it seems to be around a 3:1 ratio.

Looking at the stats I have recorded across my lines past and present:

Max:
Upstream rate = 21396 Kbps,
Downstream rate = 71320 Kbps

Max:
Upstream rate = 22764 Kbps
Downstream rate = 74204 Kbps

Currently:

Max:
Upstream rate = 21268 Kbps
Downstream rate = 63800 Kbps

As you mentioned, the upstream is clinging on while the downstream is tailing off as the crosstalk increases.

EDIT:

When I was the only connection live on the FTTC cabinet, the stats were:

Max:
Upstream rate = 29421 Kbps
Downstream rate = 98020 Kbps
Old 04-09-2015, 08:13   #209
Kushan

My experience with DSL has always been the same, upstream seems fairly resilient while downstream tails off quickly.
Old 04-09-2015, 09:16   #210
vincerooney
cf.mega poster

Services: XL TV XL Phone XL 100MB broadband TiVo Cat
vincerooney has reached the bronze age
vincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze age

I'm on 152mb now. I barely get 20MB in peak as I have high utilisation issues. This has been ongoing for 2 years

Cant virgin media attempt to solve these issues around the country before doing stuff like this? as the person on the first page said...its willy waving. nothing more. lets brag on adverts we have all the sport and fastest broadband.

I think my old dongle is faster sometimes
vincerooney is offline   Reply With Quote