Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | sky+ box question

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Alternatives to Virgin Media > Sky TV, Sky+ & Sky Q
Register FAQ Community Calendar

sky+ box question

Old 14-05-2008, 15:58   #1
NEONKNIGHT

Question sky+ box question

Would a sky+ box work with just one cable from the sat dish? Not interested in recording tv or anything just want to use it as 'freeview' seeing as its spare and collecting dust.

Cheers.
Advertisement
Old 14-05-2008, 16:20   #2
the-cable-guy
Permanently Banned

Services: Sky+ HD All Entertainment Packs, VM M TV, BT Unlimited Anytime, VM Talk Weekend Phone, VM XXL BB
the-cable-guy is a jewel in the roughthe-cable-guy is a jewel in the roughthe-cable-guy is a jewel in the roughthe-cable-guy is a jewel in the roughthe-cable-guy is a jewel in the rough
Re: sky+ box question

yes but the PVR/+ features wont work & btw Freeview is DTT not satellite or cable why cant ppl understand that ?
the-cable-guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2008, 16:31   #3
NEONKNIGHT

Quote:
Originally Posted by the-cable-guy View Post
yes but the PVR/+ features wont work & btw Freeview is DTT not satellite or cable why cant ppl understand that ?
Thank's for the reply. I'm actually giving the box away to someone who's ordinary sky digibox has died. The 'freeview' option I believe is offered by SKY as does VM - I know its not the Freeview that people think of.
Old 14-05-2008, 16:36   #4
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

The only reason for the second input is for the dual record function, the box itself works fine with only one feed.
BenMcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2008, 17:22   #5
the-cable-guy
Permanently Banned

Services: Sky+ HD All Entertainment Packs, VM M TV, BT Unlimited Anytime, VM Talk Weekend Phone, VM XXL BB
the-cable-guy is a jewel in the roughthe-cable-guy is a jewel in the roughthe-cable-guy is a jewel in the roughthe-cable-guy is a jewel in the roughthe-cable-guy is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEONKNIGHT View Post
Thank's for the reply. I'm actually giving the box away to someone who's ordinary sky digibox has died. The 'freeview' option I believe is offered by SKY as does VM - I know its not the Freeview that people think of.
i wasnt trying to have ago, Freeview refers to DTT. on satellite we have free to air (FTA) & free to view (FTV).
Old 15-05-2008, 14:49   #6
NEONKNIGHT

Thumbs up Re: sky+ box question

Quote:
i wasnt trying to have ago, Freeview refers to DTT. on satellite we have free to air (FTA) & free to view (FTV).
No problem - thanks once again for your help, its appreciated.
Old 15-05-2008, 15:08   #7
the-cable-guy
Permanently Banned

no worries fella am glad to help :o)
Old 15-05-2008, 15:44   #8
Losttheplot

Quote:
Freeview is the name of the consortium that provide FTA channels via DTT.
FTA and FTV apply to all three platforms.
Old 15-05-2008, 15:52   #9
the-cable-guy
Permanently Banned

true but ppl should realise that Freeview is only DTT & not cable &/or satellite.
Old 15-05-2008, 15:56   #10
Losttheplot

Quote:
true but ppl should realise that Freeview is only DTT & not cable &/or satellite.
Yes but you should realise FTA and FTV are not platform specific and don't just apply to satellite
Old 15-05-2008, 16:01   #11
the-cable-guy
Permanently Banned

i didnt say that they were i was just saying that on satellite thats what it is called & not Freeview
Old 15-05-2008, 18:01   #12
Losttheplot

Quote:
Originally Posted by the-cable-guy
i didnt say that they were i was just saying that on satellite thats what it is called & not Freeview
I beg to differ.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the-cable-guy
Freeview refers to DTT. on satellite we have free to air (FTA) & free to view (FTV).
Old 15-05-2008, 18:05   #13
the-cable-guy
Permanently Banned

that doesnt mean that i meant that their only on satellite, note how i never said that their only on satellite
Old 21-05-2008, 19:37   #14
beeman
Kiss My Stinger

Services: Virgin VIP package, FREEVIEW
beeman is a splendid one to beholdbeeman is a splendid one to beholdbeeman is a splendid one to beholdbeeman is a splendid one to beholdbeeman is a splendid one to beholdbeeman is a splendid one to beholdbeeman is a splendid one to beholdbeeman is a splendid one to beholdbeeman is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
i beg to differ. Freeview(tm) is DTT only however the term "freeview" has been used to refer to "unscrambled" (non rights protected) television LONG before the death of OnDigital (ITV Digital).
beeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2008, 20:45   #15
the-cable-guy
Permanently Banned

try using google then Freeview has nowt to do with satellite &/or cable.