Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | BBC considers bid for the rest of UKTV

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

BBC considers bid for the rest of UKTV

Old 16-11-2017, 00:50   #1
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
BBC considers bid for the rest of UKTV

Quote:
The BBC is manoeuvring towards a £500m bid for full control of UKTV, the broadcaster behind the Dave and Gold channels, in what would be a major expansion into the advertising and pay-TV markets.
According to industry and City sources the corporation’s commercial arm BBC Worldwide is in talks with advisers about borrowing hundreds of millions of pounds from private investors to buy out the half of UKTV it does not already own.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/...e-broadcaster/
1andrew1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 16-11-2017, 02:01   #2
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation
Re: BBC considers bid for the rest of UKTV

Never saw that coming.

Wonder why they didn't make an offer when Scripps were selling their 50% stake?
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2017, 08:22   #3
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
Never saw that coming.

Wonder why they didn't make an offer when Scripps were selling their 50% stake?
I think you meant VM not Scripps? The BBC has become more right-wing since then and the Government is tied up with Brexit so the BBC is unlikely to find so much opposition this time round.
Old 16-11-2017, 10:04   #4
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Well, if it helps to keep the licence fee down, I'm all for it. They are BBC programmes, after all.
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2017, 11:17   #5
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1andrew1 View Post
I think you meant VM not Scripps? The BBC has become more right-wing since then and the Government is tied up with Brexit so the BBC is unlikely to find so much opposition this time round.
I thought that Scripps had put themselves up for sale and been bought by Discovery?

Maybe the BBC would have had to buy the whole company as opposed to just the rest of UKTV.
Old 16-11-2017, 13:57   #6
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
Well, if it helps to keep the licence fee down, I'm all for it. They are BBC programmes, after all.
Why are you all for it as yesterday you predicted the end is nigh for Linear TV as we know it but of course OB changes his mind more then a chameleon changes their skin.

Quote:
OB said.

1. The number of traditional linear channels would start to decline from about 5 years' time;

2. The number of traditional linear channels existing in 20 years' time will be very small or non existent, due to the massively increased use of OTT services, which were easier and more convenient to use.

That was about a year ago, so you can take a year off the 5 years and 20 years predictions
Old 16-11-2017, 14:20   #7
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
Why are you all for it as yesterday you predicted the end is nigh for Linear TV as we know it but of course OB changes his mind more then a chameleon changes their skin.
Humour the Old Boy Den, we know linear TV is here for some time yet, the crinklies don't watch any other way and they don't die so much these days,I blame the flu jab......

As for UKTV when are they going to show some classic Dr Who again ?? Fed up of the modern version.
Mr K is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2017, 19:14   #8
johnathome
cf.geek

Services: 125Mb VM BB. Prime, XBMC. Paramount+, Netflix, D+
johnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to all

BBC were pleading poverty when they shut BBC3 down.

The licence fee is obviously too much!
johnathome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2017, 19:31   #9
jj20x

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnathome View Post
BBC were pleading poverty when they shut BBC3 down.

The licence fee is obviously too much!
It's nothing to do with licence fee funding. BBC Worldwide is a commercial division of the BBC, funds for any purchase would be raised separately and revenue generated by BBC Worldwide ultimately supports the licence fee as an additional source of income.
Old 16-11-2017, 23:32   #10
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
What are you on about? UKTV is a brand and they will continue to make programmes available, whether conventionally or through on demand.

I don't know what your definition of 'nigh' is, but I thought that meant almost immediately. I have never said that the end of these beloved channels was imminent!

---------- Post added at 22:32 ---------- Previous post was at 22:27 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr K View Post
Humour the Old Boy Den, we know linear TV is here for some time yet, the crinklies don't watch any other way and they don't die so much these days,I blame the flu jab......

As for UKTV when are they going to show some classic Dr Who again ?? Fed up of the modern version.
Don't let Den mislead you, Mr K! I agree that these channels are here for a while yet, but Den can't quite grasp this (although I think he's full of mischief!).

Last edited by OLD BOY; 17-11-2017 at 00:17.
Old 29-09-2018, 12:15   #11
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

So it looks like the BBC will acquire the drama channels (including Dave, Gold and Drama) and Discovery the lifestyle channels (including Good Food and Home).
https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/b...plit-ccg2k52xc
Old 29-09-2018, 14:12   #12
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1andrew1 View Post
So it looks like the BBC will acquire the drama channels (including Dave, Gold and Drama) and Discovery the lifestyle channels (including Good Food and Home).
https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/b...plit-ccg2k52xc
I hope that BBC ensures that Drama has an HD offering. I would be more inclined to watch it.

I recorded The White Princess, but being in standard definition, it is not so pleasant to watch on a larger screen and this spoilt it for me.
Old 01-10-2018, 09:52   #13
japitts
cf.geek

Services: V6 with Full-House/Maxit Sports & Movies, 100Mb broadband, Talk Weekends.
japitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud of

Agreed. I've become quite intrigued recently by UKTV's free vs pay strategy. I've noticed a few programs being shown across 3 channels. Gavin & Stacey, The Bill & a couple of older comedies are shown on W, Gold & Drama at different times.

I've managed to deduce that UKTV's free channels don't have HD equivalents except for Dave, but Drama would certainly benefit from HD far more than Gold would.
japitts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 14:08   #14
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
Originally Posted by japitts View Post
Agreed. I've become quite intrigued recently by UKTV's free vs pay strategy. I've noticed a few programs being shown across 3 channels. Gavin & Stacey, The Bill & a couple of older comedies are shown on W, Gold & Drama at different times.

I've managed to deduce that UKTV's free channels don't have HD equivalents except for Dave, but Drama would certainly benefit from HD far more than Gold would.
Yes, and I think the repeating of shows on pay-tv channels to free channels that you describe was one of the issues raised by Virgin Media in their recent carriage dispute with UKTV. It is a bit off, frankly.
Old 01-10-2018, 16:02   #15
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Lots of them do this e.g. Sky, Discovery etc I don't mind as if I ever dump pay TV I know I won't be missing out.