Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | [Update] Windows 10 Discussion

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > General IT Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

[Update] Windows 10 Discussion

Old 29-07-2015, 13:33   #1006
Dave42
cf.mega poster

Services: V.I.P 120 tivo and v+
Dave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronze
Dave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronze
Re: [Update] Windows 10 Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinky View Post
Please encourage my laziness of not having to scroll through all the previous discussions and can someone please tell me simple terms answers to the following?

Will I lose all my pictures/documents etc? What prog/applications/features will I gain and what will I lose I'm on Windows 7? What is the best/worst features of Windows 10? How long on average to download it? Has anyone upgraded to 10 and wished they hadn't. Finally is it reversible?
no you not lose your pictures or documents the prog/applications/features you gain is Cortana the modern apps that can run in windowed mode now and you will lose windows media center
Dave42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 29-07-2015, 14:38   #1007
GazCBG
cf.mega poster

Services: 350Mb (Hub 3) | TV: 2x TiVo on XL | Phone
GazCBG is a jewel in the roughGazCBG is a jewel in the roughGazCBG is a jewel in the roughGazCBG is a jewel in the roughGazCBG is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave42 View Post
how to force update on pc or tablet

http://goodereader.com/blog/tablet-s...-pc-and-tablet
Has anyone tried this?
GazCBG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2015, 14:48   #1008
alanbjames
R.I.P.

Services: XL Phone, XXXL Gig1 BB SH4 (wired).
alanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these parts

Well its all installed and working, had a few issues with Kaspersky but all sorted.
alanbjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2015, 14:48   #1009
Dave42
cf.mega poster

Dave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronze
Dave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by GazCBG View Post
Has anyone tried this?
or better way use media creator tool and install over 7 or 8.1 be safest way

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/soft...load/windows10
Old 29-07-2015, 14:52   #1010
Horizon
Media Watcher

Services: Sky, Cable & Freeview
Horizon has reached the bronze age
Horizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by GazCBG View Post
Has anyone tried this?
Didn't work for me, any other ways to force the download?
Old 29-07-2015, 14:57   #1011
GazCBG
cf.mega poster

Services: 350Mb (Hub 3) | TV: 2x TiVo on XL | Phone
GazCBG is a jewel in the roughGazCBG is a jewel in the roughGazCBG is a jewel in the roughGazCBG is a jewel in the roughGazCBG is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanbjames View Post
Well its all installed and working, had a few issues with Kaspersky but all sorted.
How did you get it installed, was it through a normal update or a force on, if so how did you force it?
GazCBG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2015, 15:00   #1012
damien c
cf.mega poster

Services: Tivo, 100mb, Mobile
damien c has reached the bronze age
damien c has reached the bronze agedamien c has reached the bronze agedamien c has reached the bronze agedamien c has reached the bronze agedamien c has reached the bronze agedamien c has reached the bronze agedamien c has reached the bronze agedamien c has reached the bronze agedamien c has reached the bronze agedamien c has reached the bronze agedamien c has reached the bronze age

I am getting close to giving up on this pos, done a upgrade on both machines and both machines will not activate, done a fresh install on both machines and they will not activate.

Spent nearly 2 hours on the phone to Microsoft who confirm that my keys will activate windows 10 via upgrade or clean install, but nothing will work.

I am now trying a fresh install of Windows 8.1 on one pc and Windows 8 on another and see if that works, if that doesn't work then Microsoft can go swivel and I will go to Linux instead, to bad you cannot play the likes of Battlefield or COD or most games that I play on Linux.
Old 29-07-2015, 15:05   #1013
truthspeaker
cf.addict

truthspeaker likes to dwell in the guttertruthspeaker likes to dwell in the guttertruthspeaker likes to dwell in the guttertruthspeaker likes to dwell in the guttertruthspeaker likes to dwell in the guttertruthspeaker likes to dwell in the guttertruthspeaker likes to dwell in the guttertruthspeaker likes to dwell in the guttertruthspeaker likes to dwell in the guttertruthspeaker likes to dwell in the gutter

@Dave42 you say preview build will never expire?
It's like a trail version of Windows 10.
You should remember I did a clean install not a upgrade.
truthspeaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2015, 15:10   #1014
Dave42
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by truthspeaker View Post
@Dave42 you say preview build will never expire?
It's like a trail version of Windows 10.
You should remember I did a clean install not a upgrade.
well it final version MS did say got to upgrade before clean install it
Old 29-07-2015, 16:03   #1015
damien c
cf.mega poster

Services: Tivo, 100mb, Mobile
damien c has reached the bronze age
damien c has reached the bronze agedamien c has reached the bronze agedamien c has reached the bronze agedamien c has reached the bronze agedamien c has reached the bronze agedamien c has reached the bronze agedamien c has reached the bronze agedamien c has reached the bronze agedamien c has reached the bronze agedamien c has reached the bronze agedamien c has reached the bronze age

Well update for me is 1 machine has Windows 8 on it and it's activated using my legit key, and the other machine has 8.1 on it activated so now installing updates and will go from there.

Issue is that the Windows 10 icon is no longer showing, so need to sort that out later.
Old 29-07-2015, 16:07   #1016
Tinky
To err is human

Services: yearly MOT
Tinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny stars
Tinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny stars

Is it reversible?
Tinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2015, 16:42   #1017
Osem
Inactive

Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinky View Post
Is it reversible?
You sound like me...
Osem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2015, 16:58   #1018
Tinky
To err is human

Tinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny stars
Tinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny stars

I listened to you on the other thread and we are both septic (lol) I would go for it right now, but no one is saying what we will lose Osem.

---------- Post added at 16:58 ---------- Previous post was at 16:55 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by damien c View Post
I am getting close to giving up on this pos, done a upgrade on both machines and both machines will not activate, done a fresh install on both machines and they will not activate.

Spent nearly 2 hours on the phone to Microsoft who confirm that my keys will activate windows 10 via upgrade or clean install, but nothing will work.

I am now trying a fresh install of Windows 8.1 on one pc and Windows 8 on another and see if that works, if that doesn't work then Microsoft can go swivel and I will go to Linux instead, to bad you cannot play the likes of Battlefield or COD or most games that I play on Linux.

This is a big worry for me, possibly better the devil you know Osem eh?
Old 29-07-2015, 17:01   #1019
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osem View Post
You sound like me...
This does not bode well.
Old 29-07-2015, 17:12   #1020
Tinky
To err is human

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
This does not bode well.
mmm Den a lot at stake 'softly softly catchy monkey'. I was all for it, but then the doubts started creeping in. Too many unanswered questions.