Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | [Update] Windows 10 Discussion

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > General IT Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

[Update] Windows 10 Discussion

Old 01-04-2016, 07:18   #1606
Sirius
Grumpy Fecker

Services: Every Weekend
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling
Re: [Update] Windows 10 Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoopZ View Post
So much hatred for Windows 10 when it is by far the best MS OS to date, in my opinion.
Windows 10 is fine if you have control over it. I have blocked there spyware, i have blocked the forced updates. I only update when i want to having checked that any update does not have problems. As long as you control windows 10 and not Microsoft its fine.
Sirius is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 01-04-2016, 10:58   #1607
techguyone
Deus Vult

Services: VM M350 with Superhub4 (modem mode) > Anytime Chatter > No TV
techguyone has reached the bronze age
techguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze age
Send a message via Yahoo to techguyone

Quote:
So much hatred for Windows 10 when it is by far the best MS OS to date, in my opinion.
you're welcome to your opinion, some of us however, have proved demonstrably that for the more ... demanding user, it's pretty poor, and some of us have been using MS products for many years.

I myself have experience with: 3.1, 95, 98, ME, NT4, W2K, XP, Vista & Windows 8.1

10 is far from the best, newest doesn't by any means, make it best..
techguyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 11:16   #1608
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by techguyone View Post
you're welcome to your opinion, some of us however, have proved demonstrably that for the more ... demanding user, it's pretty poor, and some of us have been using MS products for many years.

I myself have experience with: 3.1, 95, 98, ME, NT4, W2K, XP, Vista & Windows 8.1

10 is far from the best, newest doesn't by any means, make it best..
Likewise with opinions and all the scare stories.
Old 01-04-2016, 11:45   #1609
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Well each to their own opinions but l am pretty happy with Windows 10 and would certainly not go back to the others.
Old 01-04-2016, 14:03   #1610
MUD_Wizard
Inactive

MUD_Wizard is a splendid one to beholdMUD_Wizard is a splendid one to beholdMUD_Wizard is a splendid one to beholdMUD_Wizard is a splendid one to beholdMUD_Wizard is a splendid one to beholdMUD_Wizard is a splendid one to beholdMUD_Wizard is a splendid one to beholdMUD_Wizard is a splendid one to beholdMUD_Wizard is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
No offence to Tinky, but your idea is way out of their league, she will want to keep things simple by using Windows 10, ie no installing stuff just switch on and go, nothing else.
Linux Mint Cinnamon standard install is just switch on and go.

Everything that most average users need is already installed and setup out of the box. Including drivers, Microsoft/Adobe compatible apps and codecs. The only thing I added was Chrome instead of Firefox, because that's my preference.

What you're suggesting with Windows 10 recovery isn't exactly switch on and go! Updates/Apps will need to be installed and data restored.

Any updates will put them in the same situation again. Never ending recoveries.. joy.
MUD_Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 15:37   #1611
Tinky
To err is human

Services: yearly MOT
Tinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny stars
Tinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny stars

I have lost heart, I've tried several times to do a repair install and when it gets to checking for updates it just hangs, I gave it 5 hours today to find the updates but to no avail.
Tinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 17:11   #1612
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUD_Wizard View Post
Linux Mint Cinnamon standard install is just switch on and go.

Everything that most average users need is already installed and setup out of the box. Including drivers, Microsoft/Adobe compatible apps and codecs. The only thing I added was Chrome instead of Firefox, because that's my preference.

What you're suggesting with Windows 10 recovery isn't exactly switch on and go! Updates/Apps will need to be installed and data restored.

Any updates will put them in the same situation again. Never ending recoveries.. joy.
I know you're just trying to be helpful MUD as you always are, but knowing Tinky they would struggle, you have to think about the older Windows OS user here not the younger ones that feel brave enough to do things like that, i know just like my retired parents they wouldn't touch that with a bargepole as it would stress them out too much as they only know Windows, so Windows would be the best option for my parents too.

---------- Post added at 17:11 ---------- Previous post was at 17:09 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinky View Post
I have lost heart, I've tried several times to do a repair install and when it gets to checking for updates it just hangs, I gave it 5 hours today to find the updates but to no avail.
Sorry you're having issues Tinky, you may find it easier to take it to someone to get it done for you, if you're finding you're not able to do a clean install with fresh media.
Old 01-04-2016, 18:58   #1613
Tinky
To err is human

Tinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny stars
Tinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny stars

at 17:11 ---------- Previous post was at 17:09 ----------

Sorry you're having issues Tinky, you may find it easier to take it to someone to get it done for you, if you're finding you're not able to do a clean install with fresh media. [/QUOTE

Thank you Snoopz unfortunately it is looking more and more likely that I will have to pay someone to get my beloved lappy back on track. I think I may have demonstrated several times over the years that although I am a 'mature lady' I am still game to go one step beyond what others here would consider too technical, for example I have followed all the instructions given here including Task Manager, Powershell, scf /scannow etc but to no avail, thanks to all who once again tried to help me.
Old 01-04-2016, 19:30   #1614
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Services: VM 500M SH3 thingy in modem mode XL TV V6 Sony Bravia smart TV and M phone
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by idi banashapan View Post
Is your friend in banishing the frippery. W7 onwards.

Professional power users don't use tiles.
Old 02-04-2016, 16:07   #1615
Anonymouse
RIP Tigger - 12 years?!

Services: EE Superfast Broadband
Anonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appeal
Anonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by heero_yuy View Post
If M$ concentrated on getting the oily bits right instead of adding frills and ruffs we'd all be better off.
<slightly O/T>Tell me about it. I abandoned an MCAD course I was working on back in '03 because as far as I could see, too much emphasis was placed on standardisation and not on whether software actually worked. I'll admit I was never much of a designer - I preferred to get the damn thing working first, then play around with the interface. I was too busy actually writing code to design it. My rule was always: functionality first, appearance second.

(As an example, I wrote a relatively simple text menu-based program in GFA BASIC on my Atari ST to draw various fractals. Later, when I learned how, I changed the menu to a mouse-driven one...but the core program was virtually unchanged.)

But MS adopts entirely the opposite policy, and in fact all the .NET languages force you to adopt it, unless you want to actually type in every line of code instead of using already-written objects.

After a while I found I couldn't stomach it any more, and I quit doing the course...despite having already paid the enormous fee for it, I couldn't let myself become a sellout - besides, I couldn't cope with the long-winded way the .NET platform does things. I much preferred Visual Basic 5 - much easier. I tried, and utterly failed, to convert the VB5 version of my fractals program to .NET; the way it handles graphics is so complicated. </slightly O/T>

I've heard more bad than good about Windows 10, so I think I'll steer clear for a while.

Old 02-04-2016, 17:36   #1616
nashville
nashville

Services: Virgin Media
nashville has a nice shiny star
nashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny star

Thank the Lord, I am still Windows 7". Must be a nightmare for you Tinky
nashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 17:41   #1617
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashville View Post
Don't let the fact that 1 person here is having an issue with Windows 10 put you off.
Old 02-04-2016, 17:49   #1618
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Services: VM 500M SH3 thingy in modem mode XL TV V6 Sony Bravia smart TV and M phone
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
Meccano?
Meccano is for people who want to get things done. Fisher price is for keeping the children quiet.
Old 02-04-2016, 19:05   #1619
Tinky
To err is human

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashville View Post
Nash I debated for quite sometime about upgrading and believe me, like yourself, I was really sceptical.
However I decided because I was a free upgrade, the offer was too hard to resist. I decided to go for it, the first upgrade was not satisfactory and I reverted back to windows 7 because I found that apps I had installed were not working/had disappeared in Windows 10. But I decided to give it one more chance and reinstalled Windows 10, and up until now I have been fairly happy with it until now. Believe me Nash I have exhausted every avenue suggested on the net trying to sort it out. I am not scared to try resolving problems, in the past I have installed a new DVD player and also a new hard drive on my old PC, things that some on here would understandably not be prepared to tackle. I am happy to consider any option suggested to resolve my problem if only someone would come up with a suggested resolution.
Old 02-04-2016, 21:06   #1620
MUD_Wizard
Inactive

MUD_Wizard is a splendid one to beholdMUD_Wizard is a splendid one to beholdMUD_Wizard is a splendid one to beholdMUD_Wizard is a splendid one to beholdMUD_Wizard is a splendid one to beholdMUD_Wizard is a splendid one to beholdMUD_Wizard is a splendid one to beholdMUD_Wizard is a splendid one to beholdMUD_Wizard is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
I know you're just trying to be helpful MUD as you always are, but knowing Tinky they would struggle, you have to think about the older Windows OS user here not the younger ones that feel brave enough to do things like that
Have you used Linux Mint Cinnamon? It doesn't sound like you have.

Also what you're saying doesn't tally. The suggestions in this thread for how to fix Windows 10 are waaay more complicated than either installing or using Linux Mint.

The whole Mint project has been designed with the idea of that group of people in mind, moving from Windows.

This is a non-technical mum using Linux Mint for the first time:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I-PTQVeCF9k

The naming has been improved a lot since version 14, which this video is showing, as well.
MUD_Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote