Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Office 365/Outlook problem

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > General IT Discussion

Office 365/Outlook problem

Old 11-12-2017, 22:06   #1
iadom
Oh Lanky Lanky.

Services: 2 V6 running 360. 500mb BB, Phone line, mobile simm.
iadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny star
iadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny star
Office 365/Outlook problem

I have Office 365 on my main PC and am allowed to install it on at least four other devices.

My wife has a brand new laptop so have installed the full Office 365 suite on that.

I set up the Outlook 2016 mail account using her own email address but for some reason I only get five of the folders/options that show up in the email account in Outlook 2016on my PC.

Googling and going through the help files has not been able to help me so far in adding at least some of these options.

I have attached two screen shots to show what I mean.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Outlook folders 1.jpg (19.9 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg Outlook folders 2.jpg (11.2 KB, 15 views)
iadom is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 11-12-2017, 22:24   #2
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Office 365/Outlook problem

How are the mail accounts set up? POP / IMAP etc?
Old 11-12-2017, 22:54   #3
iadom
Oh Lanky Lanky.

iadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny star

POP3 on desktop but imap on new lappy.
Old 11-12-2017, 23:58   #4
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

That'll be why then.

With a POP account, you get an Outlook PST file, and this creates lots of special items that are used by Outlook locally including Calendar and Contacts.

IMAP is a synced system, but is designed for mail only. It won't copy any special folders across. So as Calendars and Contacts aren't part of the IMAP system, even if they exist in any Webmail services, they won't be copied.

It's why so many businesses use Exchange Server - it's a way of getting things like shared folders and Contact lists when they don't exist is the 'classic' mail protocols.

Last edited by BenMcr; 12-12-2017 at 00:04.
BenMcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 10:15   #5
iadom
Oh Lanky Lanky.

Hmm, I did try to set it up as a POP account but it failed, checking back I may have entered pop.ntlworld.com and not pop3.ntlworld.com.

Could that account for the failure to register?
Old 12-12-2017, 11:21   #6
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Yes, that's the wrong pop server.

However if you try again, for all server names you should use the virginmedia.com ones i.e. pop3.virginmedia.com and smtp.virginmedia.com.

All domains can use these now, and it's the recommended settings.
Old 12-12-2017, 11:39   #7
iadom
Oh Lanky Lanky.

Does that mean I can or should change my current ntlworld email address as well. Or will my old email address still work if the settings are changed to virginmedia?

Would the fact that my email address is the primary address from when I first joined Ntl . My wife’s email account was added several years later, could this have a bearing on which folders appear.
Old 12-12-2017, 11:51   #8
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

As I said, the folders show are specifically down to whether it's set up as POP or IMAP in Outlook.

As to whether you should update your settings, it depends which settings you're using now. You should definitely be using the secure ports for POP (or IMAP) and SMTP. Virgin's current advice is to also use the virginmedia.com servers but that's not required at this stage.
Old 12-12-2017, 17:35   #9
iadom
Oh Lanky Lanky.

Thanks for all your help Ben, will have a play around with that later. New laptop is a Christmas present for the missus so have to work on it surreptitiously ATM.

One last question, sorry for being a bozo but am I correct in understanding that if I change my server settings to the .virginmedia.com ones the mail servers will still recognise my @ntlworld.com email and password?

Jim.

Quick edit, changed from .ntlworld.com to .virginmedia.com in my Windows Live Mail app and it timed out with error message. Will go back to .ntlworld.com and change the settings on the laptop to pop3 as soon as I get a chance.

Last edited by iadom; 12-12-2017 at 17:48.
Old 12-12-2017, 18:27   #10
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

When you change from ntlworld.com to virginmedia.com settings, you need to make sure you've got the security and ports right as well:

https://help.virginmedia.com/system/...-Media-domains

The older servers allow for insecure settings, virginmedia.com doesn't
Old 12-12-2017, 19:05   #11
iadom
Oh Lanky Lanky.

Thanks again, after a lot of messing around I seem to have got the virginmedia.com mail servers working on Windows Live Mail, now to try Outlook.
Old 13-12-2017, 07:35   #12
Matthew
cf.mega poster

Matthew has reached the bronze age
Matthew has reached the bronze ageMatthew has reached the bronze ageMatthew has reached the bronze ageMatthew has reached the bronze ageMatthew has reached the bronze ageMatthew has reached the bronze age

Note if using Outlook client there are 2 views, down on the bottom left you have the icon where you can go to calendar and contacts, there is also the folder list which is different from the mail view. When in mail you get inbox, drafts, sent, deleted etc but when you go folder view you see everything including calendar. Only purpose that used to serve me was when using Public Folders with Exchange.

Hope that helps.
Old 04-01-2018, 16:29   #13
iadom
Oh Lanky Lanky.

Nearly all sorted, just one slight problem importing email folders to new laptop.

Main PC has Windows Live Mail and Outlook 2016 installed.

I was able to export all the folders I wanted from Live Mail to a .pst file and then successfully imported those into Outlook 2016 on the main PC without any problems.

However when I tried to import them into Outlook 2016 on the laptop I encountered a snag.

First of all I copied the Outlook.pst folder from my main desktop PC to the Outlook files folder on the new laptop over my home network.

I then attempted to import them into Outlook 2016. This also seemed to be going fine until it choked on one single folder which includes 3 sub folders. Every other folder imported perfectly but this one threw up this warning.

'The items in the 'Events Group 2017' folder cannot be imported/exported. Your chosen folder name is invalid.
This is most likely because you included your IMAP servers hierarchy delimiter in the name of the folder.'

I haven't altered any of the folder names and had no problem when importing them from Win Live Mail to Outlook 2016 on my desktop.????

AFAIK I didn't alter the names of any of the folders, is there any way I can remove this 'delimiter'

Any suggestions as there are quite a lot of messages in these folders.

Jim.

Edit. Would simply renaming the folders work?

Last edited by iadom; 04-01-2018 at 16:48.
Old 06-01-2018, 11:17   #14
safetywatto
Inactive

Services: Talk Talk
safetywatto is an unknown quantity at this point

Not sure the previous comments made clear you can't have POP and IMAP for the same email account it has to one or the other
safetywatto is offline   Reply With Quote