Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Please document any V6 issues here.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Please document any V6 issues here.

Old 12-12-2017, 01:05   #331
Mad Max
cf.mega poster

Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array
Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array
Re: Please document any V6 issues here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
Because all the HDMI cable supplied with the V6 box are 'High Speed' i.e support 4K / 1080P etc.

So asking if it's a VM one rules out other cables that may be 'Standard Speed' and are only rated for 720P or 1080i.
I thought that all HDMI cables were much the same, some manufacturers insisted that the more expensive cables were better, but others said that cheaper ones did exactly the same job as all they do is send a digital signal, where everything is sent as 0s and 1s, is this not the case now?
Mad Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 12-12-2017, 01:21   #332
jj20x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post
I thought that all HDMI cables were much the same, some manufacturers insisted that the more expensive cables were better, but others said that cheaper ones did exactly the same job as all they do is send a digital signal, where everything is sent as 0s and 1s, is this not the case now?
Digital electricity? Hmmm!

There are several HDMI versions and specifications, this may help:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HDMI
Old 12-12-2017, 08:17   #333
mhatter67

Services: Big Kahuna, Phone XL, Boxnation

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
Because all the HDMI cable supplied with the V6 box are 'High Speed' i.e support 4K / 1080P etc.

So asking if it's a VM one rules out other cables that may be 'Standard Speed' and are only rated for 720P or 1080i.
Interesting Ben so we are potentially saying it is the cable as the engineer who fitted my V6 box as far as I am aware did not replace my original HDMI lead installed with my old TiVo!
Old 12-12-2017, 09:38   #334
jb66
cf.mega poster

jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array
jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhatter67 View Post
Interesting Ben so we are potentially saying it is the cable as the engineer who fitted my V6 box as far as I am aware did not replace my original HDMI lead installed with my old TiVo!
The HDMI leads provided now are exactly the same as the ones that have been used since Tivo was first introduced.

If the lead isnt fast enough you will loose the picture completely, you wont get stuttering
jb66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 10:42   #335
mhatter67

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb66 View Post
The HDMI leads provided now are exactly the same as the ones that have been used since Tivo was first introduced.

If the lead isnt fast enough you will loose the picture completely, you wont get stuttering
So as the poster said on a thread on VM is it a firmware issue?
Old 12-12-2017, 11:31   #336
jb66
cf.mega poster

jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array

Quote:
So as the poster said on a thread on VM is it a firmware issue?
I think so, the exact same thing happened when the tivo came out. Also installing a HDMI splitter that strips hdcp solves the issue so that confirms it for me
Old 12-12-2017, 12:05   #337
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

OK, here are some things to try.

1) Make sure the TV firmware is up to date
2) Try all the HDMI inputs on the TV. On some Samsung TVs they aren't all equivalent.
3) Go into the Video Output Formats setting on the V6, and enable the 2160p Passthrough setting.
4) Disable the 2160 resolutions, and enable the 1080 ones. (I appreciate this won't then be UHD, but it's a useful clue if it fixes it)

Is the stutter random or at a fixed interval? If fixed, at what interval does it happen?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb66 View Post
There are some old VM leads that aren't up to spec. Possibly they are from V+ days. But I asked that question because more commonly customers buy their own expensive "gold plated" ones, and they are rubbish.
spiderplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 12:33   #338
mhatter67

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderplant View Post

2) Try all the HDMI inputs on the TV. On some Samsung TVs they aren't all equivalent.
3) Go into the Video Output Formats setting on the V6, and enable the 2160p Passthrough setting.
4) Disable the 2160 resolutions, and enable the 1080 ones. (I appreciate this won't then be UHD, but it's a useful clue if it fixes it)

Is the stutter random or at a fixed interval? If fixed, at what interval does it happen?

There are some old VM leads that aren't up to spec. Possibly they are from V+ days. But I asked that question because more commonly customers buy their own expensive "gold plated" ones, and they are rubbish.
Will try tonight,
Thanks SP!
Old 12-12-2017, 13:43   #339
ozsat
cf.mega poster

Services: 1.2Gb/100Mb, VMTV (UHD), Freesat HD, Freeview HD, SkyQ (UHD), BTtv (UHD), DAB+
ozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful one

Samsung's have an issue with this on different devices - changing the 'Auto Motion Plus' will help but often needs changing when switching to other devices.
ozsat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 20:06   #340
mhatter67

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderplant View Post

1. TV software up to date
2. Did not try that
3. Enabled 2160p pass through
4. Done

Now works perfectly on Netflix no stutter, so with 2160 pass through and all 1080 video setting enabled does this mean no 4K playback on the V6 box?

Netflix allowed me to play a Ultra HD 4K show, did not stutter and looked like 4K?

Sorry what does 2160 pass through mean and for record the stutter was in fixed intervals?

Thanks as always SP

Best
Mark
Old 12-12-2017, 20:27   #341
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Now works perfectly on Netflix no stutter, so with 2160 pass through and all 1080 video setting enabled does this mean no 4K playback on the V6 box?
It should be 4K. If you want to confirm, your TV probably has a way of displaying the format it is receiving (the info button, maybe?)

Quote:
Sorry what does 2160 pass through mean
It means that UHD content will be passed through the V6 using the same frame rate as it was in the incoming source, rather than the V6 converting it to a fixed rate that the TV said it could support. I think the stuttering was some inaccuracy in that frame rate conversion.
Old 12-12-2017, 20:37   #342
mhatter67

Thanks SP you are a credit to VM mate!
Old 09-01-2018, 17:30   #343
Kushan
FORMER Virgin Media Staff

Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal
Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal

So I just got Virgin installed again today, after quite the ordeal. It came with a V6 box, except it doesn't seem to work with my setup.

I have an AMP between it and my TV, if I connect to the AMP I get a HDCP 2.2 error. From looking around, this appears to be a known issue - the issue isn't the AMP (Which is 2.2 compliant) but actually the TV, which isn't. Stupidly, if I plug directly into the TV it does work but I don't get my nice surround.

I've done some Googling and it seems this is a known issue and in fact by design as per the HDMI spec - no downgrades to older HDCP versions, either everything is the same version or nothing is. So far the ONLY solution I've seen for this is to use a box to strip the HDCP protection back to 1.4, but this also means you lose Dolby/DTS unless you also connect via optical. That seems like a frustrating and poor workaround to me.

Is my above information correct? Is there anything I could have missed? If there's a way of getting this to work properly, as in just one HDMI cable from the V6 to my amp then I'm all ears, otherwise I'll be requesting they remove the V6 box entirely as I'm not faffing about with multiple inputs for some basic TV.
Kushan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 17:42   #344
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

Try disabling the 2160p resolutions in the Video Output Formats setting screen on the V6.
Old 09-01-2018, 17:55   #345
jb66
cf.mega poster

Does your amp have any non 4k ports?