Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | [Merged] NTL Set top box + D-Link DI-524 Router help needed please..

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

[Merged] NTL Set top box + D-Link DI-524 Router help needed please..

Old 12-02-2006, 15:33   #1
jonjenner
Inactive

jonjenner is an unknown quantity at this point
[Merged] NTL Set top box + D-Link DI-524 Router help needed please..

I have a NTL Pace set top box. I have been trying to connect a D-Link DI-524 wirless router to it with out any luck. I just cannont get the WAN light on the router to light. Following instructions to power off set top box, power up router power up set top box then plug items togeather using cat5 cable WAN light on router should light... Well it does not i have even taken the router to the back of the set top box and used a 1m cat5 cable, taken out the crossover adaptor still no luck. I havent even got to the stage of connecting the computer at the momment. Any ideas PLEASE
jonjenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 12-02-2006, 15:48   #2
xathras

Services: Family Pack Digital TV with PremiershipPlus Season Ticket. 10Mb Broadband Talk 24 Unlimited Teleph
Re: NTL Set top box + D-Link DI-524 Router help needed please..

I am using a D-Link 614+ and it seems fine. I run a cable from it to the router and use Dynamic settings and never had any problems. Have you tried doing a start.ntl? in browser.
Old 02-03-2006, 19:45   #3
JohnHorb

Services: 10MB Broadband, DTV, Telephone

I presume it works if you plug the computer direct, i.e. without the router?
Old 02-03-2006, 20:07   #4
jonjenner
Inactive

At the moment the pc is connected to the set top box via ethenet cable. This has a cross over adaptor at the set top bob and a usb adaptor so the ethernet cable is connected to the pc via usb.
Old 02-03-2006, 20:16   #5
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

Try using the cable that currently connects the STB and PC to the router (so it connects the router to the STB).
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2006, 20:22   #6
JohnHorb

Services: 10MB Broadband, DTV, Telephone

Have you tried:-
1) Power off computer, router and STB.
2) Connect ethernet cable from router WAN port to STB. (From a quick Google, the WAN port on that router is auto, so should not matter whether you have a cross-over or not).
3) Connect ethernet cable from LAN port on router to computer.
4) Power on STB. Wait for lights to settle.
5) Power on router. Wait for lights to settle.
6) Power on computer.
Old 02-03-2006, 21:29   #7
jonjenner
Inactive

I will try that. Just seams strange that even before i get to the stage of connecting the computer to the router, powering off STB and Router power on router then STB WAN light will not light yet STB works ok with direct link to PC. Using that now. Allmost seems as though fault with router!!! anyway will try your method tomorrow as need pc at mo many thanks John
Old 08-03-2006, 14:28   #8
devalr
Inactive

devalr is an unknown quantity at this point

John, I have the same problem except I'm using a Terayon cable modem. In addition I cannot upgrade the f/w on the DI-524, current version 1.02. This is the second Di-524 I have tried and both exhibit identical symptoms. Did you manage to solve your problem? Roger
devalr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 18:50   #9
iadom
Oh Lanky Lanky.

Services: 2 TV 360 boxes. 500mb BB, Phone line.
iadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny star
iadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny star

Just bought a D-Link DI-634M and I am also having problems. connected up and rebooted as per Quick Start instructions, all status lights appear OK, although I noticed the wireless LAN light was not steady, it was a constant on/off orange, not a fast blinking. Powered up the PC and opened IE and it opened on the Ntl provisioning page. Was this my first mistake, instead of proceeding with the Ntl provisioning I entered the url instructed in the Quick Start guide and everything seemed to progress normally. Zone alarm Pro popped up a 'New Network' warning which I allowed trusted access to. however I cannot now connect to the internet. I tried to reboot the PC and it was still trying to reboot after 20 minutes, it appears that ZA Pro was trying to initialise. I could not shut down the PC and had to use the reset button, or turn off at the mains. I have for now, unplugged the router and rebooted STB & PC and it is working fine again. I did try to go through the whole routine again to see if I could get to the Ntl provisioning page but the PC would not boot correctly. I tried to check the IP that DCHP had assigned with the router connected, it ended in .0.100, although it reported that the Lan connection was working OK. Not sure if that means anything.

Any suggestions.
iadom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 23:53   #10
iadom
Oh Lanky Lanky.

iadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny star
Should I have gone through registration?

I tried to connect a D-Link 634M today, when I reached the step in the instructions to open my browser it went onto the Ntl provisioning page. Should I have continued with this first? I didn't and cannot get a 'live' connection. See this post.http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/sh...83&postcount=9

If I reset the router to factory defaults and try again, going through the Ntl provisioning stage first, will it cure my problem?
Old 09-03-2006, 00:56   #11
Chris W
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media Broadband Size M
Chris W has a nice shiny star
Chris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny star
Send a message via MSN to Chris W
Re: Should I have gone through registration?

provsioning is needed when you connect a device with a different mac address to the set top box.

Shouldn't be any need to reset to factory settings.

Also no need for two thread covering the same issue so i have merged.
Chris W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006, 18:11   #12
iadom
Oh Lanky Lanky.

Re: [Merged] NTL Set top box + D-Link DI-524 Router help needed please..

Sorry about the duplicate thread Chris, but I was overwhelmed by the flood of answers to my first post.

Still getting nowhere fast.
Reset router to factory defaults and went through the setup procedure again. Connected all the cables in the correct order and booted STB when instructed. All router lights OK.
Booted up the PC, at this point it booted perfectly, as fast as normal. opened IE and was once again presented with the Ntl registration page. This time I entered a name for the router and it was registered and accepted. As instructed by the registration page, I rebooted PC & STB. I then entered the url, 192.168.0.1 as per the router setup instructions and the Setup Wizard opened and all seemed to go OK. It did show my correct MAC address, but I clicked on 'Clone' as instructed. I did not set up any encryption at this point, thinking I could return to that at a later stage.
I then clicked 'Finish' and the screen counted down for a few minutes until it completed the setup. I then closed the Setup window and tried to open IE but got a DNS error message almost at once.
I opened the LAN setttings via the Systay icon and it reported that the connection was OK. The details are as follows.
IP 192.168.0.100
Default Gateway 192.168.0.1
DHCP 192.168.0.1
DNS 192.168.0.1
I switched off the PC and tried to reboot, this took around 15 minutes, with a couple of warnings that ZA Pro was initialising. I also found that I had to switch off the PC at the mains to shut it down.
If I remove the ethernet cable between the router and the PC, the PC will boot correctly, except for a 'cable unplugged' warning. If I replace this cable and remove the cable from the STB to the router the PC bootup stalls. I have tried with ZA Pro shut down without success.

If I remove the router and connect direct to the STB/ network card it works perfectly. The new laptop I am typing this from using my Zen dial up reports that it is receiving a strong signal from the router, but it also will not connect.

Any suggestions gratefully recieved.
Old 09-03-2006, 19:29   #13
Chris W
cf.mega poster

Chris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny star

you don't need to clone the mac address-

when you provisioned the router, this registeredd it's mac address to the ntl network, hence no need to clone the pc's mac, as this would also require provisioning.

If i were you do the following:
- Disconnect and power down STB
- reset router to factory settings
- power up stb
- connect router to stb
- provision router
- reboot stb and router
- Try the wired connection if AOK try the wireless connection.

Sorted
Old 09-03-2006, 20:22   #14
iadom
Oh Lanky Lanky.

Well, I have somehow got it working.

I reset the router to factory defaults, connected and rebooted the STB & PC in the prescribed order. When the PC rebooted I noticed that the Prevx Pro and ZA Pro icons in the systray had both enabled without any hold up. So I opened IE and blow me down, straight to Google without Ntl registration or using the D-Link setup site.
Thanks Chris, not sure how it cleared, could it be DNS delay ?
Old 09-03-2006, 20:23   #15
Chris W
cf.mega poster

none, it was that you had already provisioned the stbs mac address...

should have realised that when i replied! glad it is working anyway