Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | 20mb broadband router

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

20mb broadband router

Old 31-01-2008, 08:20   #1
dave0151
Inactive

dave0151 is an unknown quantity at this point
Question 20mb broadband router

I'm pretty shure i need a new router, just upgraded to virgins 20mbit broadband (cable) and for the life of me i could not squeeze more than 750k out of it.
But my router belkin f5d5231-4 has been locking up more and more lately needing me to power it off and on again. So i decided to go directly from the cable modem to the lan port and to my surprise i could download at 2236kb/s .
So unless any knows of a firmware version or some kind of change i might have missed that i can make to the router im now looking for a wired router that will have no problem handling 20mb broadband and wondered if any folks here might have a few suggestions of what router to use. Something with plenty of space for port forwarding. I've seen some with only allow you to forward 10 different port ranges and i'd need a bare minimum of 20.

okok enough babbling on from me, i'd greatly appreciate any info and i thank you all who read and reply to this.

Cheers

Dave
dave0151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 31-01-2008, 09:51   #2
DocDutch
argh

Services: full house package
DocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronze
DocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronze
Re: 20mb broadband router

the 5231 from belkin cant handle the 20meg on the wan port.

any new router will be able to handle 20 meg nowadays.
DocDutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2008, 18:46   #3
dave0151
Inactive

Thanks very much for the welcome and while i understand most new routers can handle 20mb what concerns me is that towards the end of this year if im not mistaken virgin are going to release their 50mb service, im not 100% if i'll go to this service or not yet but would i would like to get a router that would put me on the safe side for this service just in case.
All the routers ive come across have a 20mb on the wan port with the excpetion of a few ive seen in the £200 price range which isnt an option for me realy. So im still searching.
Old 31-01-2008, 19:07   #4
DocDutch
argh

DocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronze
DocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronze

dave, any linksys, netgear, buffalo, dlink, belkin (newer models) can handle 20 meg.

true with 50 its going to be interesting.
Old 03-02-2008, 14:09   #5
dave0151
Inactive

After much arguing with netgear via their technical support and going though multiple employee's who insisted that all routers have a minimum of 10/100 Base-T connection and therefore all support up to 100 megabit broadband.
Finaly i lost my temper with them lieing to me because of their lack of understanding. Telling them that if i where to buy their products based on this false information they would be in violation of consumer rights, I finally got through to someone who knew the answer!
Maybe an admin would like to put some of this information in a sticky for all to read so please take a look at the e-mail i received below. I've yet to receive a reply from Belkin, D-link, or linksys but i will post this information on here when i finally force it out of them lol.

Dear David,

Thank you for choosing Netgear.

My name is Dishu & I will be handling your enquiry. I appreciate the opportunity to assist you. Regarding your concern, I would suggest you to please check the required information mentioned underneath:
Routers/Firewalls: WAN to LAN Throughput
1. FVX538 v2: 90 mbps
2. FVS338: 90 mbps
3. WNR854T: 148 mbps
4. WPNT834: 94 mbps
5. WNR834B v2: 67 mbps

I hope this answers your query.
If you need any further help, please reply us back so that we can continue to work on a solution.
Thank you for choosing Netgear.
Regards, Dishu Netgear Support

So there we go we now know what which netgear products support 20 megabit and are future safe for the up and coming 50 megabit broadband connections.

I do hope someone finds this useful and thank all those who read and those who replied to my thread.

Dave
Old 03-02-2008, 15:14   #6
DocDutch
argh

Dave, when did ya send the email to belkin mate cuz normally there is a 72hrs turn around at the max.
Old 03-02-2008, 21:13   #7
dave0151
Inactive

Early hours friday morning i think, still noubt back from them yet being sunday and all if i've not heared anything by tomorrow night i'll e-mail them again.
Old 03-02-2008, 23:12   #8
DocDutch
argh

Dave...

A, its weekend this kind of question would've probably been escalated to somebody else
B, I know that the F5D7231uk4 and all the N routers handle 20meg for sure
C, just wait you'll have the answer by tuesday or weds latest.