Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Train Spotters Corner

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Lifestyle

Train Spotters Corner

Old 24-10-2012, 16:20   #31
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
Re: Train Spotters Corner

Steam train to return to London Underground

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-20042559
Old 07-11-2012, 18:19   #32
Ravenheart
Inactive

Ravenheart has a bronzed appealRavenheart has a bronzed appeal
Ravenheart has a bronzed appealRavenheart has a bronzed appealRavenheart has a bronzed appeal

Ooops http://youtu.be/OvyIrsZ7Zhs
Ravenheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 18:23   #33
denphone
Still alive and fighting

denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

whoever gets the repair bill for that is not going to be too happy to say the least.
Old 10-11-2012, 03:39   #34
RB2004
Inactive

Services: Services: 200 Mbit Gamer on Hub 3, 3x Arris V6 Boxes, CISCO V HD, VIP Package
RB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation era
Looks like the lifting chains gave way.
RB2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2012, 15:35   #35
denphone
Still alive and fighting

311mph Maglev Train Prototype Unveiled By Japan

http://www.geeky-gadgets.com/311mph-...an-29-11-2012/

Wow.
Old 29-11-2012, 22:24   #36
jempalmer

Services: 500gb Tivo & V+. TV XL, 60MB BB, M Phone.

I wonder what the rate of acceleration/deccleration will be though? Not great if it pulverises your internals to save a few minutes
Old 29-11-2012, 23:38   #37
Matthew
cf.mega poster

Matthew has reached the bronze age
Matthew has reached the bronze ageMatthew has reached the bronze ageMatthew has reached the bronze ageMatthew has reached the bronze ageMatthew has reached the bronze ageMatthew has reached the bronze age

Although not a train spotter, I am as such a fire engine spotter but I do enjoy traveling by train to take in the scenery outside. Ended up travelling back from Windermere to Grimsby on Saturday by train due to a small accident in the car. I thoroughly enjoyed it and it was the first time my other half had been on a train, to be honest it was the first long distance journey I had done.

I often see pictures on sites like 28 Days Later of old train yards and I find it quite interesting.

I get bored of driving and you miss thing when you are driving which you often see when you are not. I am seriously considering using the train alot more in future, makes me less stressed.
Old 30-11-2012, 06:07   #38
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Why did we ever get rid of steam trains?.

http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/...-steam-trains-

Yes l have often thought that but the trouble was the railway network as it was then was losing money hand over fist and it needed to be modernised but to get rid of so many steam trains and branch lines might have seemed right at the time but as we know with the roads clogging up some of these branch line closures decisions have been seen to be very shortsighted 50 years later and there is also no better sight then a steam train roaring past on the mainline either.
Old 04-12-2012, 05:10   #39
Ravenheart
Inactive

Ravenheart has a bronzed appealRavenheart has a bronzed appealRavenheart has a bronzed appeal

Anyone else been watching Michael Portillo's latest railway series on BBC2?

Really enjoying his trips in Europe with his Bradshaws, really must get over there and experience it myself next year.

I see Old House have done a facsimile of the European guide too, I'll have to pick it up as the UK one is an interesting read and was on Amazon for £5 when I got it earlier in the year.
Old 04-12-2012, 05:18   #40
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenheart View Post
Anyone else been watching Michael Portillo's latest railway series on BBC2?

Really enjoying his trips in Europe with his Bradshaws, really must get over there and experience it myself next year.

I see Old House have done a facsimile of the European guide too, I'll have to pick it up as the UK one is an interesting read and was on Amazon for £5 when I got it earlier in the year.
Yes it is indeed a excellent series Raven but alas travelling to Europe is a no no for me due to the expense of health iinsurance but there are some lovely places thats for sure.
Old 04-12-2012, 05:55   #41
Ravenheart
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
Yes it is indeed a excellent series Raven but alas travelling to Europe is a no no for me due to the expense of health iinsurance but there are some lovely places thats for sure.
Sorry to hear you're not able to make a trip over in Europe, I'm quite lucky that as I was retired on ill health ground from BR due to developing the RA, I kept my privs including the european FIP ones.

If I ever go to Europe I'm armed with an EHIC and some insurance that was quite reasonably priced, (think I saw the link on the RA charity I volunteer for or it may have been on Moneysavingexpert)

Though it does to vary a lot depending on the type of of condition or illness as I found when I was shopping around for some a few years ago

---------- Post added at 04:55 ---------- Previous post was at 04:46 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
311mph Maglev Train Prototype Unveiled By Japan

http://www.geeky-gadgets.com/311mph-...an-29-11-2012/

Wow.
A far cry from the first passenger carrying one at the link from Birmingham airport to Birmingham International/NEC

Despite the moans and groans from some people about the service, BR had some fantastic engineers, you only have to look at the IC125, and despite them claiming the APT was a failure, we seem to have their descendants speeding up and down the west coast in the shape of the pendolino's
Old 04-12-2012, 17:36   #42
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Quote:
Sorry to hear you're not able to make a trip over in Europe, I'm quite lucky that as I was retired on ill health ground from BR due to developing the RA, I kept my privs including the european FIP ones.

If I ever go to Europe I'm armed with an EHIC and some insurance that was quite reasonably priced, (think I saw the link on the RA charity I volunteer for or it may have been on Moneysavingexpert)

Though it does to vary a lot depending on the type of of condition or illness as I found when I was shopping around for some a few years ago

---------- Post added at 04:55 ---------- Previous post was at 04:46 ----------

A far cry from the first passenger carrying one at the link from Birmingham airport to Birmingham International/NEC

Despite the moans and groans from some people about the service, BR had some fantastic engineers, you only have to look at the IC125, and despite them claiming the APT was a failure, we seem to have their descendants speeding up and down the west coast in the shape of the pendolino's
Yes the media always seemed to give BR a hard time but it was not as bad as some make out and yes l saw a bit on the APT earlier in the British Railways Beeching and Beyond DVD and it was certainly the forerunner for some of the trains we have now.
Old 06-12-2012, 09:00   #43
Ravenheart
Inactive

Virgin given 23 month extension to West Coast operation

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-20620787

Quote:
The government has announced Virgin Trains will run the West Coast Mainline for a further 23 months - hours before a report into the collapse of the line's franchise deal is published.
Old 06-12-2012, 09:10   #44
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Quote:
Virgin given 23 month extension to West Coast operation

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-20620787
Excellent news and my brother will be happy as he works for Virgin.
Old 18-12-2012, 06:02   #45
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Steam train takes to London Underground in test run

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-20759707