Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Local Team about to go out of business

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Entertainment > Sport
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Local Team about to go out of business

Old 08-12-2003, 18:27   #1
yesman

Local Team about to go out of business

It won't mean much to most of you, but I thought I would post it anyway.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/c...re/3301351.stm
Advertisement
Old 08-12-2003, 18:43   #2
homealone

Re: Local Team about to go out of business

Quote:
Originally Posted by yesman
It won't mean much to most of you, but I thought I would post it anyway.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/c...re/3301351.stm
I hope they manage to survive, Yesman, our local team (Grimsby Town) have suffered badly since they lost the TV money, although that is a bit academic since they were relegated to D2. However it could be argued that having to get rid of players whose wages were too high had something to do with that - remember Grimsby knocked Liverpool out of the cup a couple of years ago. Currently they are just managing to survive on average gates of less than 5,000, so I have every sympathy with any other clubs who are similarly affected.
Old 08-12-2003, 19:29   #3
yesman

Quote:
Originally Posted by homealone
I hope they manage to survive, Yesman, our local team (Grimsby Town) have suffered badly since they lost the TV money, although that is a bit academic since they were relegated to D2. However it could be argued that having to get rid of players whose wages were too high had something to do with that - remember Grimsby knocked Liverpool out of the cup a couple of years ago. Currently they are just managing to survive on average gates of less than 5,000, so I have every sympathy with any other clubs who are similarly affected.
Thanks for that Gaz, however Cambridge need to repay that loan by Dec 22nd or the ground goes, as it was offered by the club as collateral for the loan.
It seems a shame that so many league clubs, relied on, and spent the money yet to be paid by TV companies and the like to try and see their way forward.
If football continues with the way that its going, (with the exception of an elite few) we will end up with a lot of well off players and no clubs.
Old 08-12-2003, 19:32   #4
paulyoung666
Permanently Banned

paulyoung666 has a nice shiny star
paulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Thanks for that Gaz, however Cambridge need to repay that loan by Dec 22nd or the ground goes, as it was offered by the club as collateral for the loan.
It seems a shame that so many league clubs, relied on, and spent the money yet to be paid by TV companies and the like to try and see their way forward.
If football continues with the way that its going, (with the exception of an elite few) we will end up with a lot of well off players and no clubs.

and no doubt flattened to build houses on , it really is a shame this is happening , i believe york were in a similar situation not so long ago , if i remember correctly they managed to get away by the skin of their teeth
paulyoung666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2003, 19:34   #5
yesman

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulyoung666
and no doubt flattened to build houses on , it really is a shame this is happening , i believe york were in a similar situation not so long ago , if i remember correctly they managed to get away by the skin of their teeth
You got it in one, it will be sold for redevelopment
Old 08-12-2003, 19:36   #6
paulyoung666
Permanently Banned

paulyoung666 has a nice shiny star
paulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny star

Quote:
You got it in one, it will be sold for redevelopment

just what the country needs , more houses , it annoys me to death that unless a club has a sugar daddy then it is potentially doomed
paulyoung666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2003, 19:45   #7
homealone

Quote:
Totally agree with your last point - and I am angry at the irony that one weeks wages from one of the Premier players would get Cambridge over this hump.
Old 18-12-2003, 22:03   #8
yesman

Quote:
Totally agree with your last point - and I am angry at the irony that one weeks wages from one of the Premier players would get Cambridge over this hump.
Its getting tight, but I think they might make it after all......
http://www.helpcfu.co.uk/
Old 18-12-2003, 22:16   #9
homealone

Quote:
Its getting tight, but I think they might make it after all......
http://www.helpcfu.co.uk/
sent a donation Geoff, well it is Christmas

Gaz
Old 18-12-2003, 22:35   #10
yesman

Quote:
sent a donation Geoff, well it is Christmas

Gaz
Blimey !!!!!!!!!!!!!

On behalf of http://www.cambridge-united.com

Thanks Gaz
Old 18-12-2003, 22:44   #11
homealone

Quote:
Blimey !!!!!!!!!!!!!

On behalf of http://www.cambridge-united.com

Thanks Gaz
np - c'mon you I presume Cambridge play in, Blues!

Grimsby play in Black & White - which reflects their form right now!

Gaz
Old 18-12-2003, 22:59   #12
yesman

Quote:
np - c'mon you I presume Cambridge play in, Blues!

Grimsby play in Black & White - which reflects their form right now!

Gaz
Nope CUFC's colours are as follows
[img]Download Failed (1)[/img]
Well the home kit anyway.
During the week United played with a new formation 0 - 10, all the players were camping out in Macclesfield's 18 yard box as Macclesfield were down to 10 men after having a player sent off late in the first half, but united managed to equalise after going a goal down, but still lost on penalties , still they do say things get worse before they get better.
Old 19-12-2003, 00:13   #13
homealone

Quote:
Nope CUFC's colours are as follows

Well the home kit anyway.
During the week United played with a new formation 0 - 10, all the players were camping out in Macclesfield's 18 yard box as Macclesfield were down to 10 men after having a player sent off late in the first half, but united managed to equalise after going a goal down, but still lost on penalties , still they do say things get worse before they get better.
you need a 'makeover' - shirley 'blue is the colour', in Cambridge - even if it is nearly cyan?

Gaz
Old 22-12-2003, 00:21   #14
yesman

Looks like your contribution made all the difference Gaz............

Oh and er...... stop calling me Shirley
Quote:
U's chairman Gary Harwood was delighted to announce to supporters at Sunday's "end of appeal" party that the loan would be repaid on Monday, and the clubs future has been secured for at least another year.
Old 22-12-2003, 00:31   #15
homealone

Quote:
Looks like your contribution made all the difference Gaz............

Oh and er...... stop calling me Shirley
Not just me Geoff. but I'm glad to have helped.

surely I wouldn't call you Shirley, unless it was the weekend, or something

Gaz