Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Premiership reveals results of first-round footy rights bidding

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Entertainment > Sport
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Premiership reveals results of first-round footy rights bidding

Old 28-04-2006, 13:13   #16
homealone

Re: Premiership reveals results of first-round footy rights bidding

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyblueheroes
Sorry but Sky have dragged up football by its collar from the state it was in during the 80's. From 92 when they started the contract its become a glamarous and exciting sport to watch which is awash with money and investment.

However, I do feel that the money is aimed too much at the Premiership and not enough of it is filtered down to the lower leagues.
I know it is down to personal preference, so this is expressing my opinion, rather than disagreeing with yours, as such, but I honestly don't find it 'glamourous and exiting'. I find it is full of spoilt, petulant, overpaid, so-called 'sportsmen' who's last thought in the world is sportsmanship. I watched the womens cup final, last year & they were shrugging off knocks that would have premiership players rolling on the ground for half an hour.

As for 'money & investment' - is that why it costs £60 to go & watch Chelsea? I seem to recall they started advertising, recently, as the gates were falling ....

I'm glad we agree about the lower divisions

---------- Post added at 13:13 ---------- Previous post was at 13:02 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by gazzae
Wigan and West Ham are 9th and 10th, OK Sunderland are pretty crap, but they didn't spend any money.

Cheating and diving happens in every league, even amateur.
West Ham are a good example - they always have had a reputation for developing their own talent, rather than buying it in.

It is only my impression, of course, but there seems to be more cheating & diving in the top flight, where the pressure to win is immense.

However, if I am honest, my gripe with Sky Sport is more about now having to pay for what we used to get 'free'
Advertisement
Old 28-04-2006, 13:26   #17
gazzae
Inactive

gazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronze
gazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by homealone

West Ham are a good example - they always have had a reputation for developing their own talent, rather than buying it in.

It is only my impression, of course, but there seems to be more cheating & diving in the top flight, where the pressure to win is immense.

However, if I am honest, my gripe with Sky Sport is more about now having to pay for what we used to get 'free'
Depends what you class as cheating. Claiming a throw-in when you know the ball came off you, deliberately fouling someone, giving someone a dig when the refs not looking? These happen in all leagues.

As for diving I've seen it in the league I used to play in, maybe it doesn't happen as much as in the top flight, but then in the top flight you don't usually get 14 angry men waiting for said diver outside the changing room.
gazzae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2006, 13:52   #18
homealone

Quote:
Originally Posted by gazzae
Depends what you class as cheating. <snip>

14 angry men waiting for said diver outside the changing room.
well fielding 14 man teams sounds like cheating, for a start
Old 28-04-2006, 13:59   #19
gazzae
Inactive

gazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronze
gazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by homealone
well fielding 14 man teams sounds like cheating, for a start

Yeah the subs like a good fight as well. That's partly why I quit that league, too many fights and people with grudges going out to injury people.
gazzae is offline   Reply With Quote