Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | The boat race

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Entertainment > Sport
Register FAQ Community Calendar

The boat race

Old 01-04-2006, 15:32   #1
Shabba

Services: A brew when i shout downstairs
The boat race

No this isn't cockney slang

Has anybody ever cared a monkies about the result? I saw a preview on ITV before and some of the rowers seemed to be American or Australian. In the past races i knew who had won (well it could only be one of two - but y'know what i mean) because the upper class BBC showed the final stretch on the news, but i was never converted.

I can't see the attraction and neither can i see why the cash strapped ITV network would wish to buy the rights?
Advertisement
Old 01-04-2006, 16:50   #2
Millay
Inactive

Millay has reached the bronze age
Millay has reached the bronze ageMillay has reached the bronze ageMillay has reached the bronze ageMillay has reached the bronze ageMillay has reached the bronze ageMillay has reached the bronze ageMillay has reached the bronze age
Send a message via MSN to Millay Send a message via Yahoo to Millay
Re: The boat race

Irts a good day, out to watch my friend had a houseboat on the thames.

but the TV never really excited me..
Millay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 16:56   #3
driver_problems
Permanently Banned

Services: ntl 1meg cable modem Skysports & Movies, Film4 and phone
driver_problems has much to be proud ofdriver_problems has much to be proud ofdriver_problems has much to be proud ofdriver_problems has much to be proud ofdriver_problems has much to be proud ofdriver_problems has much to be proud ofdriver_problems has much to be proud ofdriver_problems has much to be proud ofdriver_problems has much to be proud ofdriver_problems has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shabba
No this isn't cockney slang

Has anybody ever cared a monkies about the result? I saw a preview on ITV before and some of the rowers seemed to be American or Australian. In the past races i knew who had won (well it could only be one of two - but y'know what i mean) because the upper class BBC showed the final stretch on the news, but i was never converted.

I can't see the attraction and neither can i see why the cash strapped ITV network would wish to buy the rights?
I thought it was largely an excuse for a booze up with a fiver bet on the side for novelty purposes
driver_problems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 17:10   #4
LSainsbury

Services: TV: Sky HD, Landline: BT, Mobile: Orange, Internet: Quite Slow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by driver_problems
I thought it was largely an excuse for a booze up with a fiver bet on the side for novelty purposes

....a bit like the Henley Regata!

Same as the Grand National me thinks - it's a good way to sting some money from Joe Public by the bookies!
Old 01-04-2006, 17:18   #5
driver_problems
Permanently Banned

Services: ntl 1meg cable modem Skysports & Movies, Film4 and phone
driver_problems has much to be proud ofdriver_problems has much to be proud ofdriver_problems has much to be proud ofdriver_problems has much to be proud ofdriver_problems has much to be proud ofdriver_problems has much to be proud ofdriver_problems has much to be proud ofdriver_problems has much to be proud ofdriver_problems has much to be proud ofdriver_problems has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsainsbury
....a bit like the Henley Regata!

Same as the Grand National me thinks - it's a good way to sting some money from Joe Public by the bookies!
I've always felt the Grand National was a bit of a con (isn't it all ) with the prices they give - eg a field of often more than 35 horses the odds are often 3/1 and so on - and most of them fall over anyway The only person who scoops any decent loot is the horse owner and, of course and as always, the bookies
driver_problems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2006, 15:47   #6
Tuftus

Hmmm, get your pims ready....
Old 02-04-2006, 15:53   #7
Maggy
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Team

Services: VM XL TV,50 MB VM BB,VM landline, Tivo
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura

Look I hate football but I appeciate that the rest of the world does not share my view on this..so there is coverage of football.Same can possibly go for the Boat race surely.All tastes catered for otherwise tv is going to be excessively boring if only one type of narrow viewing is shown.

Mind I think if this event was opened out to include other university teams it would be much more interesting and more exciting.A two horse race will always be more boring than a 20 horse race.
Old 02-04-2006, 15:54   #8
bmxbandit
Inactive

bmxbandit has reached the bronze age
bmxbandit has reached the bronze agebmxbandit has reached the bronze agebmxbandit has reached the bronze agebmxbandit has reached the bronze agebmxbandit has reached the bronze agebmxbandit has reached the bronze agebmxbandit has reached the bronze agebmxbandit has reached the bronze agebmxbandit has reached the bronze agebmxbandit has reached the bronze agebmxbandit has reached the bronze agebmxbandit has reached the bronze age

i quite like the boat race, but only cos it happens so infrequently... can't say i care who wins though.
bmxbandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2006, 15:56   #9
Paul K
Inactive

Services: Sky HD + 16Mb ADSL BT Telephone
Paul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered stars
Paul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Incognitas
Mind I think if this event was opened out to include other university teams it would be much more interesting and more exciting.A two horse race will always be more boring than a 20 horse race.
20 horses racing in the Thames? Exciting? Mmmmmm, in my experience there is enough cr*p floating in the Thames as it is
Paul K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2006, 16:01   #10
Maggy
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Team

Services: VM XL TV,50 MB VM BB,VM landline, Tivo
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul
Quote:
Originally Posted by Incognitas
20 horses racing in the Thames? Exciting? Mmmmmm, in my experience there is enough cr*p floating in the Thames as it is
So a mixed metaphore that still makes a point..
Old 02-04-2006, 17:53   #11
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, www.daves-world.co.uk. A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Hom3r has a pair of shiny stars

Were where the adverts during the race??

They do it during other races (ie F1)
Old 02-04-2006, 18:34   #12
Macca371

Quote:
Originally Posted by david.ewles
Were where the adverts during the race??

They do it during other races (ie F1)
It only lasted for 18 minutes so there would be no point.
Old 02-04-2006, 18:37   #13
LSainsbury

Services: TV: Sky HD, Landline: BT, Mobile: Orange, Internet: Quite Slow!

I decided to put a small wager on the Boat Race!

I put £10 on Oxford to win by more than 3.5 lengths.

Won £80 - result - and I start a new job tomorrow - perhaps my luck is changing!

Anybody got any tips for the Grand National next week?

Lee
Old 02-04-2006, 19:10   #14
marky
Inactive

Services: non wife took control
marky has a nice shiny starmarky has a nice shiny starmarky has a nice shiny starmarky has a nice shiny star
marky has a nice shiny starmarky has a nice shiny starmarky has a nice shiny starmarky has a nice shiny starmarky has a nice shiny starmarky has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsainsbury

Anybody got any tips for the Grand National next week?

Lee
A small child with a pencil,
Instructions are
Put a circle around a horsey
marky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 15:43   #15
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, www.daves-world.co.uk. A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Hom3r has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by marky
A small child with a pencil,
Instructions are
Put a circle around a horsey
Well a few years back a bloke got his toddler to give him sum numbers for the lotto, the numbers they picked won him the jackpot.

I'll think I'll call my nephew and neice for a flutter on th national