Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Merged:-Comcast makes Bid for Sky

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Alternatives to Virgin Media > Sky TV, Sky+ & Sky Q
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Merged:-Comcast makes Bid for Sky

Old 09-06-2013, 15:34   #2131
Chad
cf.mega poster

Services: SKY Family, SKY Broadband Unlimited, YouView, Netflix, Amazon Instant Video, Boxnation
Chad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny star
Chad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny star
Re: General Sky TV Discussion

Just noticed the Telegraph have run a second piece about SKY's game changer:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/p...ital-deal.html

"Sources have confirmed that Sky will this week announce a "significant price cut which will change the broadband and TV package market"."

What could SKY introduce that would change the package market?
Chad is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 09-06-2013, 15:39   #2132
nstokes
Inactive

Services: Sky+HD (2TB) with Sky World, BT Sport and ESPN, Sky 3D, Sky+HD Multiroom, Sky Talk Freetime, Sky Fib
nstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronze
nstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad View Post

"Sources have confirmed that Sky will this week announce a "significant price cut which will change the broadband and TV package market"."

Time will tell but im hoping its good news for us existing customers
nstokes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 15:41   #2133
Chad
cf.mega poster

Services: SKY Family, SKY Broadband Unlimited, YouView, Netflix, Amazon Instant Video, Boxnation
Chad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by nstokes View Post
Lets hope so but cant see that for us existing customers. Will be for new only. They should give BB unlimited to any customer that is on triple play
That's what I thought at first too however if this is SKY reacting to BT trying to poach SKY broadband customers, with the offer of free BT Sports, I think any shake up will cover new and existing customers. SKY want to keep their existing broadband customers.

The term game changer suggests SKY might be planning something bigger than just free broadband.
Old 09-06-2013, 15:41   #2134
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:

l get a feeling in these next few weeks there are going to be considerable changes on all major platforms to different packages as the battle for our buck hots up.
Old 09-06-2013, 15:46   #2135
Chad
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
l get a feeling in these next few weeks there are going to be considerable changes on all major platforms to different packages as the battle for our buck hots up.
I agree, it's exciting It can only lead to good things for the consumer. Plenty of choice, plenty of value and plenty of great offers.

---------- Post added at 15:46 ---------- Previous post was at 15:43 ----------

Quote:
Time will tell but im hoping its good news for us existing customers
Me too. As posted last night SKY, who recently bought O2, are offering some crazy deals to O2 customers to re-contract rather than leave.

http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/free...tomers-1556592

"Sky are offering free TV and Broadband for a year for O2 Broadband customers in advance of the switchover of their service to Sky. It's the Entertainment Extra+ service with 48 HD channels etc, plus their Broadband unlimited package. You have to pay for Sky line rental instead of O2 line rental, which may work out worse for some, but it does include free caller display which O2 doesn't. It has a worse off-peak period. They claim the package you get for free is worth £468."

That is an incredible deal. All O2 customers who take the deal have to pay is their phone line rental and nothing else!
Old 09-06-2013, 15:48   #2136
nstokes
Inactive

Services: Sky+HD (2TB) with Sky World, BT Sport and ESPN, Sky 3D, Sky+HD Multiroom, Sky Talk Freetime, Sky Fib
nstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronze
nstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronze

Well time will tell. Roll on some point this week when we find out
Old 09-06-2013, 15:53   #2137
Chad
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Well time will tell. Roll on some point this week when we find out
Very true.

If you are out of contract with SKY, Virgin, BT or Talk Talk now is not a good time to re-contract with your current provider. I think the pay TV market in the next 6 to 8 weeks could change significantly. You don't want to be tied down to a new 12 month contract whilst things are hotting up.
Old 09-06-2013, 16:02   #2138
nstokes
Inactive

Quote:
Very true.

If you are out of contract with SKY, Virgin, BT or Talk Talk now is not a good time to re-contract with your current provider. I think the pay TV market in the next 6 to 8 weeks could change significantly. You don't want to be tied down to a new 12 month contract whilst things are hotting up.
Im out of contract with BB and phone but not TV as on another 12 month contract when i got my 2TB box. When things do happen can always call and see what they say anyway. Im already on a TV discount till Sep and BB discount till Oct so see what happens
Old 09-06-2013, 16:08   #2139
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
That's what I thought at first too however if this is SKY reacting to BT trying to poach SKY broadband customers, with the offer of free BT Sports, I think any shake up will cover new and existing customers. SKY want to keep their existing broadband customers.

The term game changer suggests SKY might be planning something bigger than just free broadband.
Game changer lets wait and see , the press have a tendency to over exaggerate things , its also worth mentioning the Sky TV prices to increase in September by upto 10% so if Sky TV customers were to be offered free unlimited BB a saving of £7.50 per month could result in only a few pounds after the TV price increases kick in. I guess any saving is a good thing though , certainly beats paying more.
muppetman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 17:07   #2140
Chad
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
Game changer lets wait and see , the press have a tendency to over exaggerate things , its also worth mentioning the Sky TV prices to increase in September by upto 10% so if Sky TV customers were to be offered free unlimited BB a saving of £7.50 per month could result in only a few pounds after the TV price increases kick in. I guess any saving is a good thing though , certainly beats paying more.
Under such an offer I'd only save £3.75 due to being on a 50% off deal. But £3.75 plus the £10.00 I'll save not having ESPN will cover the cost of BT Sports and part of any pending price increase. For others a potential saving of £7.50 per month on their broadband, plus £10.00 if they had ESPN, will cover the cost of adding BT Sports and possibly all of their September price increase.
Old 09-06-2013, 18:45   #2141
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

More rumours

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showp...66&postcount=2
muppetman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 21:09   #2142
Chad
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
Must admit I'll be very happy indeed if my broadband becomes free.

I get this speed 24/7, totally unlimited, no traffic management and all peer to peer software unaffected. Admittedly not the fastest connection on the market, but if it becomes free with SKY Sports I'll be delighted.
Old 09-06-2013, 21:41   #2143
nstokes
Inactive

Quote:
Must admit I'll be very happy indeed if my broadband becomes free.

I get this speed 24/7, totally unlimited, no traffic management and all peer to peer software unaffected. Admittedly not the fastest connection on the market, but if it becomes free with SKY Sports I'll be delighted.
Same here. I only get 6MB connection and if it becomes free it will make up for the lack of speed i have here
Old 09-06-2013, 22:12   #2144
coulsontom
Inactive

coulsontom is a splendid one to beholdcoulsontom is a splendid one to beholdcoulsontom is a splendid one to beholdcoulsontom is a splendid one to beholdcoulsontom is a splendid one to beholdcoulsontom is a splendid one to beholdcoulsontom is a splendid one to beholdcoulsontom is a splendid one to beholdcoulsontom is a splendid one to behold

I imagine it will be just broadband for free rather than TV deals.
coulsontom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 22:30   #2145
Chad
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by coulsontom View Post
I imagine it will be just broadband for free rather than TV deals.
That would work for me.

A broadband price war is what the UK needs.