Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Olympics - Brazil 2016

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Entertainment > Sport
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Olympics - Brazil 2016

Old 20-08-2016, 06:52   #91
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
Re: Olympics - Brazil 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osem View Post
Well done to Nick Skelton on becoming the UK's second oldest ever Olympic gold medal winner.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/olympics/36691138

And a equally sincere well done to the womens hockey team for showing our vastly overpaid prima donna footballers how to handle a penalty shoot out.

Absolutely superb as you say.
Old 20-08-2016, 08:15   #92
martyh

Services: Sky Q silver bundle Sky Q 2TB box Sky Q mini box Sky fibre unlimited Sky Talk evenings and week

Quote:
Originally Posted by adzii_nufc View Post
Paralympics set to flop massively as Brazil 'runs out of money'

Shambles. Still struggle to believe why a country full of corruption and poverty was given an event to spend billions on 2 years after a world cup.

88% of tickets are still on sale.

Total *********. Spend a fortune on a few weeks of glitter that a hefty amount of the population can't afford to attend. Only to be left with 10 white elephants at the end of it to nobodies benefit.

Sure you could argue our own money was better spent elsewhere but we haven't housed millions in people in what are essentially garden sheds more commonly known as slums.

Best question yet though is the one already being thrown around. What happened to the pledged money? We know the answer though. Its Brazil, someone's back pocket is a whole lot fatter.
Although i agree wholeheartedly with your sentiments i think that the money needed for a successful Paralympics should be given by other countries on this occasion for the sake of the contestants
Old 20-08-2016, 08:20   #93
denphone
Still alive and fighting

denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Indeed l echo those same sentiments.
Old 20-08-2016, 09:09   #94
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyh View Post
Although i agree wholeheartedly with your sentiments i think that the money needed for a successful Paralympics should be given by other countries on this occasion for the sake of the contestants
It's was clear from the offset they weren't bothered by the Paralympics part. They need to split out the Paralympics from the Olympics at this rate or make sure the IOC chooses nations capable of providing the funding, facilities and audience for the Paralympics when selecting who gets the Olympics.

Probably a pipe dream but I would have liked to see the UK step in and host them consecutively when the situation became clear in Brazil. We probably don't have the facilities there anymore though.
Damien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2016, 09:24   #95
martyh

Services: Sky Q silver bundle Sky Q 2TB box Sky Q mini box Sky fibre unlimited Sky Talk evenings and week

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien View Post
It's was clear from the offset they weren't bothered by the Paralympics part. They need to split out the Paralympics from the Olympics at this rate or make sure the IOC chooses nations capable of providing the funding, facilities and audience for the Paralympics when selecting who gets the Olympics.

Probably a pipe dream but I would have liked to see the UK step in and host them consecutively when the situation became clear in Brazil. We probably don't have the facilities there anymore though.
In financial terms though the situation in Brazil was very different back in 2009 wasn't it ? at the time of the award Brazil was recovering from recession .Either way what's done is done and i think the Paralympics need a financial rescue package or it could be said that the rest of the world aren't bothered about the Paralympics either .
Old 20-08-2016, 10:07   #96
Osem
Inactive

Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars

So sad for Lutalo Muhammed who had a gold medal snatched from his grasp in the last second of his fight. Listening to him being interviewed afterwards was one of the most moving things I've heard in a long time. I hope he can find the will to use this bitter experience to motivate him onwards.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to seeing the medal my neighbour won and giving her a great big hug!
Osem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2016, 11:05   #97
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyh View Post
In financial terms though the situation in Brazil was very different back in 2009 wasn't it ? at the time of the award Brazil was recovering from recession .Either way what's done is done and i think the Paralympics need a financial rescue package or it could be said that the rest of the world aren't bothered about the Paralympics either .
It's the same as the World Cup though in the awarding of tournaments on the basis they'll improve by then rather than a sober judgment of their ability to deliver IMO.

I think what you suggest is a good idea although I think the whole think is a disaster beyond salvage at this point. It's the lack of an audience than upsets me most.

This story from London 2012 shows what these games mean to the athletes and it's sad to see how they've been treated: http://london2012.blogs.nytimes.com/...n-london/?_r=0

---------- Post added at 11:05 ---------- Previous post was at 11:05 ----------

Quote:
Anyway, I'm looking forward to seeing the medal my neighbour won and giving her a great big hug!
Well you can't just leave it at that.

Last edited by Damien; 20-08-2016 at 11:10.
Damien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2016, 11:18   #98
martyh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien View Post
It's the same as the World Cup though in the awarding of tournaments on the basis they'll improve by then rather than a sober judgment of their ability to deliver IMO.

I think what you suggest is a good idea although I think the whole think is a disaster beyond salvage at this point. It's the lack of an audience than upsets me most.

This story from London 2012 shows what these games mean to the athletes and it's sad to see how they've been treated: http://london2012.blogs.nytimes.com/...n-london/?_r=0
yeah those seats need to be filled even if they have to give the tickets away ,it's a financial disaster anyway
Old 20-08-2016, 12:52   #99
Kursk
-.- ..- .-. ... -.-

Kursk has disabled reputation

Quote:
So sad for Lutalo Muhammed who had a gold medal snatched from his grasp in the last second of his fight.
I couldn't believe it. I thought his opponent had run off at the end because he was so upset. And then I saw Muhammed's coach and thought oh no...

But just how long is one second in a taekwondo bout?!

It all came out in the interview and who can blame him....damn, so close!
Kursk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2016, 14:07   #100
adzii_nufc
Rafalution

adzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appeal
adzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appeal

Paralympic games to still go ahead as Rio OC gets more state funding

Not really doing anyone any favours there. Sets a massive example now to the bodies that award the games in the future to do due diligence when selecting a host. I'm sure Damien's right though, they clearly didn't give a crap, they've had to have known ages ago they'd never make this event work.

In terms of events it's been great, for the Olympics anyway. The fact half of the venues were still having work done to them a week before and up to the opening ceremony though tells a different story away from stuff on the field. Stuff like knocking down the favelas and shifting people so they wouldn't look a mess in front of the rest of the world. I reckon the best comparison is you sweeping all your rubbish into the cupboard whilst your mate comes round

So anyway, Paralympics will go ahead with reduced facilities, minimal ticket sales and whatever else they fancy throwing into it at the last minute, leaving no time for any real solution. The Paralympics have basically been shat on here.

So back to the track then. Bolt again tore apart the track, was completely ridiculous. He had competitors level, slowed for the change and then just blew away, poor buggers beside him couldn't get anywhere near his speed.

Last edited by adzii_nufc; 20-08-2016 at 14:11.
adzii_nufc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2016, 18:19   #101
Maggy
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Team

Services: VM XL TV,50 MB VM BB,VM landline, Tivo
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura

Woohoo..Adams has done it..
Old 20-08-2016, 18:31   #102
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Wonderful.
Old 20-08-2016, 19:04   #103
Osem
Inactive

Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars

Well done to Nicola!

Right now I feel so sorry for the Paralympians who I feel were properly lauded in 2012 and will now feel that the wonderful recognition and progress which had been made in London will have been eroded.
Osem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2016, 00:23   #104
Julian
Oh When The Saints!!

Julian has a nice shiny starJulian has a nice shiny starJulian has a nice shiny star
Julian has a nice shiny star

Nice to see Brazil win the football gold.

Fairytale stuff with Neymar scoring the winning penalty.

Richly deserved after watching the germans pass the ball amongst their defence for the last 10 minutes....
Old 21-08-2016, 06:09   #105
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggy J View Post
Woohoo..Adams has done it..
And so did Mo in the early hours of the morning.