Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | [Update] Windows 10 Discussion

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > General IT Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

[Update] Windows 10 Discussion

Old 22-10-2014, 12:46   #121
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
Re: [Update] Windows 10 Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
I see the Microsoft will be making Windows 10 free for consumers.

About time they caught up with Apple in offering the OS updates for free.
"About time they caught up"? Microsoft did it before Apple did (admittedly, only by five days), Apple were the ones who had to 'catch up'.
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 22-10-2014, 12:48   #122
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
Re: Windows 10 Will Be Free

You don't have to be that crazy. I installed Windows 8 developer preview on my main PC when it was out, ditched it after a few days mind you but still.
Old 22-10-2014, 12:51   #123
Stop It
Inactive

Services: VM Vivid 200 VM XL TV & Sky Sports VM Phone
Stop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of society

Quote:
Originally Posted by qasdfdsaq View Post
You don't have to be that crazy. I installed Windows 8 developer preview on my main PC when it was out, ditched it after a few days mind you but still.
As did I.

Felt stupid for doing so then bought Windows 8 anyway. Stuck with it because I didn't want to be seen as wasting my money, oops. Still, 8.1 with Classic Shell isn't really that bad to be fair.
Stop It is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2014, 12:58   #124
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

I have 8.1 (well, Server 2012 R2, which is, basically, 8.1) running on a few servers and it's quite nice, but I still detest the stupid start screen (on Windows Server FFS, I mean, come on...).

TBH, other than Millenium I don't think Microsoft has recently released any new versions Windows that were truly worse than the last, but I tend to look at the 'under the hood' kernel and architecture improvements over the user interface, which is why I was a big fan and advocate of Vista when everyone else hated it
Old 22-10-2014, 12:58   #125
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star

What Windows versions have been free then?

The last 2-3 OS X updates have been free.
Old 22-10-2014, 13:03   #126
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

The latest one Windows version (8.1) has been free.

The 2-3 OSX updates have NOT been free. Only the latest one (10.9). 10.8 and 10.7 were both chargeable upgrades.
Old 22-10-2014, 13:28   #127
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star

The latest one is actually 10.10 Yosemite and is also free.

While chargeable they were under £20 each. Very minimal compared to the amount MS used to charge for the Windows OS.
Old 22-10-2014, 13:33   #128
Dave42
cf.mega poster

Services: V.I.P 120 tivo and v+
Dave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronze
Dave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronze

Quote:

While chargeable they were under £20 each. Very minimal compared to the amount MS used to charge for the Windows OS.
you got to remember Microsoft makes it money from software sales and Apple makes it money from the expensive hardware sales
Dave42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2014, 13:36   #129
Uncle Peter
81-82-83-84

Services: Vivid 200, Full House, V6 x2
Uncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny star
Uncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny star

Hmm I don't remember paying for Mavericks.
Uncle Peter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2014, 18:22   #130
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Well yes, excluding Yosemite which just came out, like Windows 10, which just came out... Being very selective today aren't we.

Quote:
I never paid more than £30 for a Microsoft Windows upgrade, even for the top of the range Ultimate editions. Course the difference in price comes down to the fact Apple gets all the money from selling hardware already, often at highly marked up prices, while Microsoft doesn't see a penny of any hardware sold unless they charge for the software that is on it.

That said if you want to talk like your personal experience is representative, Apple tried to charge us nearly £500 for OSX Lion Server.

---------- Post added at 18:22 ---------- Previous post was at 18:20 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Peter View Post
Hmm I don't remember paying for Mavericks.
Pretty much what I said, barring the new OSs announced this week, only Mavericks has been free.
Old 22-10-2014, 18:39   #131
Taf
cf.mega poster

Services: TVXL BBXL Superhub 2ac (wired) 1Tb Tivo
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star

Taf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2014, 18:40   #132
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by qasdfdsaq View Post
Well yes, excluding Yosemite which just came out, like Windows 10, which just came out... Being very selective today aren't we.

I never paid more than £30 for a Microsoft Windows upgrade, even for the top of the range Ultimate editions. Course the difference in price comes down to the fact Apple gets all the money from selling hardware already, often at highly marked up prices, while Microsoft doesn't see a penny of any hardware sold unless they charge for the software that is on it.

Pretty much what I said, barring the new OSs announced this week, only Mavericks has been free.
What was announced this week? Yosemite was announce months ago and released this month. So that is still two main OS X versions released for free and at least 2 others charged at minimal price.

Where as Windows 10 isn't actually released, its in beta and under a public trial and won't officially be released till next year. Who is being selective now.

Microsoft do make money off hardware, they sell tablets and have made money off the Xbox consoles for years. That surely counts as hardware? Also keyboards and mice.
Old 23-10-2014, 17:54   #133
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

Quote:
What was announced this week? Yosemite was announce months ago and released this month. So that is still two main OS X versions released for free and at least 2 others charged at minimal price.
You really have to do this every time anyone mentions Apple don't you. OK fine, you're desperately grasping at straws that lend no weight to your argument, but yes, Yosemite was release last week, not this week, exactly seven days ago. Still changes nothing about my original point.

Quote:
Where as Windows 10 isn't actually released, its in beta and under a public trial and won't officially be released till next week. Who is being selective now.
Wow, nitpicking much? So Apple releases a second update slightly quicker than Microsoft.

Doesn't change the fact Microsoft's first free update came out before Apple's first free update, and just because Apple has released a second update since then while Microsoft is taking a bit longer doesn't change the fact one bit. Pretty lame and desperate attempt to divert attention from the fact that you were wrong.

Quote:
Microsoft do make money off hardware, they sell tablets and have made money off the Xbox consoles for years. That surely counts as hardware? Also keyboards and mice.
Still trying to divert attention by pointing to unrelated irrelevant issues. Yes, they sell tablets, but Microsoft has never charged for updates on any tablets they've sold, so proves nothing.

Yes, they sell XBoxes, but Xboxes do not run Windows, so not at all relevant, to how much they charge for Windows.

Yes, they sell keyboards and mice. Again keyboards and mice do not run Windows, regardless, Microsoft has never charged for OS updates on keyboards or mice either. But then Apple also sells keyboards and mice, so that's not even a differentiators.

All of these still miss the central point, which is that Apple sells all the hardware that (legally) runs OS X. Microsoft does not sell all of the hardware that runs Windows, the ones they do sell they do not charge for Windows upgrades on. Which actually just reinforces my argument that it's down to how much they make off the hardware.
Old 24-10-2014, 12:46   #134
Taf
cf.mega poster

Services: TVXL BBXL Superhub 2ac (wired) 1Tb Tivo
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star

Taf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2014, 17:01   #135
Dave42
cf.mega poster

Services: V.I.P 120 tivo and v+
Dave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronze
Dave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronze

Windows 10 is the Most Audacious Release in the History of the Platform

Through evolution, Microsoft sparks a revolution

http://winsupersite.com/windows-10/w...story-platform

a good read
Dave42 is offline   Reply With Quote