Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Poor wireless connectivity

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Poor wireless connectivity

Old 30-06-2004, 23:07   #16
Bifta
Inactive

Bifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny star
Bifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny star
Re: Poor wireless connectivity

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOSAGES
if ur running xp its know to drop connections and be flakey over wireless ..

sp2 kinda fixes it...
No it doesn't, mine still drops as much as it did on SP1
Bifta is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 01-07-2004, 05:19   #17
punky
Inactive

punky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aura
punky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMHarman
Is the house near others?
Does it happen at specific times of day or is it a general degredation, e.g.lunch, dinner movie time.
Could well be a neighbours microwave (or yours) or some other radiation. Any DECT phones near the base?
The houses are detached, and i'd say a good 30' apart. That said i'm still picking up another wireless network. I can't really find anything about it, but could running two networks side-by-side like that punt each other off? I don't know if we are running on the same channel even. Don't we just get the names by that name broadcast thingy (can't rememeber what it is called), regardless of channel?

About the timing, before I updated the drivers, it used to happen never during the morning, occaisonally in the afternoon and constantly in the evening. The microwave isn't being used. What is a DECT phone? We use two walkabout/wireless phones, but the phones get used more in the morning and afternoon than night so that doesn't fit. I think the new drivers made it worse, but i'll see in the morning.
punky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2004, 14:02   #18
SMHarman
Inactive

Services: Cablevision
SMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronze
SMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by punky
The houses are detached, and i'd say a good 30' apart. That said i'm still picking up another wireless network. I can't really find anything about it, but could running two networks side-by-side like that punt each other off? I don't know if we are running on the same channel even. Don't we just get the names by that name broadcast thingy (can't rememeber what it is called), regardless of channel?

About the timing, before I updated the drivers, it used to happen never during the morning, occaisonally in the afternoon and constantly in the evening. The microwave isn't being used. What is a DECT phone? We use two walkabout/wireless phones, but the phones get used more in the morning and afternoon than night so that doesn't fit. I think the new drivers made it worse, but i'll see in the morning.
Two ajoining networks can cause interference that will cause you to drop your connection.

DECT phones - Digital Cordless phones, rather than the older analoge cordless phones.
SMHarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2004, 14:17   #19
punky
Inactive

punky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMHarman
Two ajoining networks can cause interference that will cause you to drop your connection.
I thought about that, because I noticed that when it was bad, the neighbour's wireless network came up. What can I do, change channel? Would changing from a 802.11b to a 802.11g help?
Old 02-07-2004, 14:25   #20
SOSAGES
Inactive

SOSAGES is a pillar of societySOSAGES is a pillar of societySOSAGES is a pillar of societySOSAGES is a pillar of societySOSAGES is a pillar of societySOSAGES is a pillar of societySOSAGES is a pillar of societySOSAGES is a pillar of societySOSAGES is a pillar of societySOSAGES is a pillar of societySOSAGES is a pillar of societySOSAGES is a pillar of societySOSAGES is a pillar of societySOSAGES is a pillar of societySOSAGES is a pillar of societySOSAGES is a pillar of societySOSAGES is a pillar of societySOSAGES is a pillar of societySOSAGES is a pillar of societySOSAGES is a pillar of society

that will just change the speed u can change the channel on its own and still remain at G if you like -

have u tested the network on B ?
SOSAGES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2004, 15:03   #21
SMHarman
Inactive

SMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronze
SMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronze

b and g networks both work on the same frequency. You probably have interfering networks. Try yours on 1, 6, or 11, those chanels have no overlap and should be clear of interference.

You might need to bang on your neighbours door, get him to switch to 1 and you to 11, that should help. He will be having the same problems as you.

Changing to an "a" network will switch you to a different frequency, though it will necessitate new and more expensive hardware. Though it will give you a 55Mb network.

I think a chat with your neighbour to iron out the frequency problem will resolve it. If you are seing his SSID is his (or her) network secure? Perhaps you could switch yours off and leech of theirs! Save you CM bill!
Old 03-07-2004, 16:16   #22
Matth
Inactive

Services: BB:M, TV:XL, Phone:M, Loyalty
Matth has reached the bronze age
Matth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze age

If you can run the WiFi card software (instead of XP Zero Admin), you normally have the option to run a "site survey" - which should give you the name and channel of any other networks it can see.

Microwave ovens generally interfere with channel 9 (badly) with a spread to 8/10 and top a lesser degree, 7/11.

The channels also spread, so in the 1-11 channel space, the normal channel choice is 1, 6, 11, - compromise 4 channel plan is 1, 4, 7, 11

http://www.btinternet.com/~duncan.ja...avelength.html
If all equipment supports the ETSI (1-13) channels, then I'd push from 11 up to 13.

Video senders also share the same band, typically with 4 channels (A-D) across it.
A - CH1-3
B - CH5-7
C - CH9-11
D - CH12-14
Matth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2004, 16:56   #23
punky
Inactive

SOSAGES: I'm on B atm. But G seems very popular I wonder if the difference was more than just speed, but they are both on the same frequencey (2.4ghz) it seems.

It is running on Channel 11 atm. I would say the networks are interfering but the wireless adaptor on the desktop doesn't seem to be affected like the laptop one. Doesn't appear to be the microwave, ubt i'm considering dropping it down a real low channel.

I have tried to connect to his, to see if it works, but without much luck. he could be MAC address restricted like mine. I'm guessing he would still seem my SSID.
Old 03-07-2004, 20:47   #24
ZrByte
Inactive

ZrByte has a bronzed appealZrByte has a bronzed appeal
ZrByte has a bronzed appealZrByte has a bronzed appealZrByte has a bronzed appealZrByte has a bronzed appealZrByte has a bronzed appealZrByte has a bronzed appeal
Send a message via MSN to ZrByte

Punky: Ive generally found B to be much more stable than G, Though G is obviously a lot faster B seems to have a much stronger signal and as such can reach top speed even through several walls.
At the moment I only get 36mbps over my 54mbps network due to interference, I used to get the full 11mbps over my old B network, though my old B network did have positional antennas so that could be why.

I used to use the Netgear MA101 USB wireless B NIC's, I now use the D-link G520 PCI Wireless G NIC's. I often find that the Case of the PC interferes with the signal of the PCI cards, this wasnt a problem with the USB cards as they had a 1m cable to move them around on.
ZrByte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2004, 17:48   #25
GeoffW
Inactive

GeoffW has a spectacular aura about themGeoffW has a spectacular aura about themGeoffW has a spectacular aura about themGeoffW has a spectacular aura about them

Are you broadcasting your SSID? I found I was getting dropouts when I was not broadcasting it.
GeoffW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2004, 18:59   #26
ZrByte
Inactive

ZrByte has a bronzed appealZrByte has a bronzed appealZrByte has a bronzed appealZrByte has a bronzed appealZrByte has a bronzed appealZrByte has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffW
Are you broadcasting your SSID? I found I was getting dropouts when I was not broadcasting it.
Is that a router thing? my network is currently only ad-Hoc
Old 04-07-2004, 19:34   #27
punky
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffW
I think so. The network name comes up in the list of available networks.

Also my network is set to the access point type.

It really is the laptop that is suffering though, i'm going to have to switch the adaptors in it.
Old 06-07-2004, 09:32   #28
ZrByte
Inactive

ok now it may be too soon to say but disabling the IEEE 802.1X seems to have worked on mine.
This is under the authentification tab in wireless network connection properties for the offending network card.
Old 06-07-2004, 09:55   #29
SOSAGES
Inactive

SOSAGES is a pillar of societySOSAGES is a pillar of societySOSAGES is a pillar of societySOSAGES is a pillar of societySOSAGES is a pillar of societySOSAGES is a pillar of societySOSAGES is a pillar of societySOSAGES is a pillar of societySOSAGES is a pillar of societySOSAGES is a pillar of societySOSAGES is a pillar of societySOSAGES is a pillar of societySOSAGES is a pillar of societySOSAGES is a pillar of societySOSAGES is a pillar of societySOSAGES is a pillar of societySOSAGES is a pillar of societySOSAGES is a pillar of societySOSAGES is a pillar of societySOSAGES is a pillar of society

they need to make this wirless networking business easy and stable
SOSAGES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2004, 10:48   #30
SMHarman
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZrByte
ok now it may be too soon to say but disabling the IEEE 802.1X seems to have worked on mine.
This is under the authentification tab in wireless network connection properties for the offending network card.
I'm suprised it was enabled.