Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Connecting a switch to the cable modem and then two wireless routers

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Connecting a switch to the cable modem and then two wireless routers

Old 19-02-2010, 17:56   #1
musicmanuk
Inactive

musicmanuk is an unknown quantity at this point
Connecting a switch to the cable modem and then two wireless routers

After some discussion with Virgin Media over the quality of service and the price I am paying, they have decided to "sweeten me up" by sending a new cable modem (ambit 256) and a wireless router. This is the first wireless router I have received from Virgin Media, although I have been using one of my own for some time. It's connected via a long ethernet cable from the modem (downstairs) to an office (upstairs). Wireless signal is OK upstairs, but could be better downstairs. Can I use the second wireless router via an ethernet switch connected to the cable modem? I know I connect one wireless router to another using one of the LAN ports, but this is not want I want to do, as it would mean another very long LAN cable to connect two routers, upstairs / downstairs.

Some cable companies wil give out 2 IP address per cable modem, but I don't know about Virgin Media. I am on an original C&W network, which then became NTL, then Virgin Media.

Can anyone help please?
musicmanuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 22-02-2010, 13:28   #2
Turkey Machine
Inactive

Services: Company LLU internet, soon-to-be company FTTC internet at 56Mb/20Mb!
Turkey Machine has reached the bronze age
Turkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze age
Re: Connecting a switch to the cable modem and then two wireless routers

I don't think what you're after is possible, but you could possibly make either the first or second router as an access point only, connecting into the first router.
Turkey Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2010, 13:40   #3
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicmanuk View Post
After some discussion with Virgin Media over the quality of service and the price I am paying, they have decided to "sweeten me up" by sending a new cable modem (ambit 256) and a wireless router. This is the first wireless router I have received from Virgin Media, although I have been using one of my own for some time. It's connected via a long ethernet cable from the modem (downstairs) to an office (upstairs). Wireless signal is OK upstairs, but could be better downstairs. Can I use the second wireless router via an ethernet switch connected to the cable modem? I know I connect one wireless router to another using one of the LAN ports, but this is not want I want to do, as it would mean another very long LAN cable to connect two routers, upstairs / downstairs.

Some cable companies wil give out 2 IP address per cable modem, but I don't know about Virgin Media. I am on an original C&W network, which then became NTL, then Virgin Media.

Can anyone help please?
When they were NTL, VM used to give out two IPs if you took the Xbox live add on. They have since stopped this. You will need to connect one router to a lan port on the other, and disable DHCP on one of them. Either this or set one to be a wireless access point only. This is exactly the same setup I have. Well, apart from the fact that I am on Be, so one of my routers is also an ADSL modem.
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2010, 13:50   #4
Kymmy
Inactive

Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars

The ONLY way this would work is if you went for the business broadband service and also took out the static IP option..

Otherwise just turn off NAT and DHCP on the 2nd router and use an ethernet cable from one lan port to another (do not use the WAN port on the 2nd router)... IP gateways and DNS should point towards the first router
Kymmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2010, 14:49   #5
musicmanuk
Inactive

musicmanuk is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you for the replies. I think the best option is one mentioned by Stuart, and I will give that one a try.

Keith
musicmanuk is offline   Reply With Quote