Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Printer to router cable.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Printer to router cable.

Old 06-02-2010, 13:02   #1
Topgun
1 of a 1000!

Services: Ultimate Oomph.
Topgun is a name known to allTopgun is a name known to allTopgun is a name known to allTopgun is a name known to allTopgun is a name known to allTopgun is a name known to allTopgun is a name known to allTopgun is a name known to all
Printer to router cable.

Hi. Have just bought a new printer (HP Photosmart B109N), and my cunning plan was to have a wired connection to the main PC, and then a wireless connection to the rest of the house. However in order to do this, I believe I have to connect the printer directly to the router. This would necessitate having a cable that will fit into the printer with an ethernet connection on the other end.
My problem is that this sort of cable is not supplied with the printer, and I cannot seem to find one despite much use of Google!
Am I correct that I need such a cable, and if so, could someone point me toward where I might get one.
Thanks.
BTW, I am on the XXL broadband with the Netgear router that comes with that.
Topgun is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 06-02-2010, 13:34   #2
stewart28
Inactive

stewart28 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Printer to router cable.

unfortunatly you can only connect the printer to router if network compatable printer, i.e has ethernet port on the back of it.
stewart28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 13:50   #3
Dai
Inactive

Services: 50Mb, TV & Phone
Dai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronze
Dai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronze
Send a message via MSN to Dai

B109n appears to be wireless-enabled. There should be setup instructions included to make a wireless connection to your router.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/d...name=c01840099
Dai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 14:02   #4
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, www.daves-world.co.uk. A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Hom3r has a pair of shiny stars

You might need to plug a cable first to enable the wireless function, via the printers IP address.
Old 06-02-2010, 15:48   #5
Topgun
1 of a 1000!

Services: Ultimate Oomph.
Topgun is a name known to allTopgun is a name known to allTopgun is a name known to allTopgun is a name known to allTopgun is a name known to allTopgun is a name known to allTopgun is a name known to allTopgun is a name known to all

As I understand it I have three connection options, the first is to connect direct to the PC with a USB cable (which I have done at the moment), the second is to go completely wireless (as in the link from DaiNasty), or the third, which I would like to do, is wire the printer to the router so there is a direct connection to the main PC and a wireless connection to the rest of the network. This way, I believe, someone else on the network could print even if the main PC isn't switched on.
According to the set up disk this should be possible, but the necessary cable isn't included and I can't seem to find one
Hope that makes sense!

---------- Post added at 15:48 ---------- Previous post was at 15:40 ----------

I believe I've just solved the problem. Just discovered that where the printer cable plugs into the back of the printer you pull out a sort of adaptor thing and that's where the ethernet cable plugs in!
Thanks for the replies and sorry for being dense.
Topgun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 21:20   #6
Dai
Inactive

Services: 50Mb, TV & Phone
Dai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronze
Dai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronze
Send a message via MSN to Dai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topgun View Post
I believe I've just solved the problem. Just discovered that where the printer cable plugs into the back of the printer you pull out a sort of adaptor thing and that's where the ethernet cable plugs in!
Thanks for the replies and sorry for being dense.
Aha, it's cleverly hidden under a protective widget..
Attached Images
File Type: gif c01710117.gif (4.3 KB, 4 views)
Dai is offline   Reply With Quote