Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | [Merged] Wireless Access Point Router and Modem Help

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

[Merged] Wireless Access Point Router and Modem Help

Old 27-09-2007, 13:48   #16
cnhchy
Inactive

cnhchy is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: wireless access point+cable modem

You mean that I need to add a HUB between modem and ME102.....
cnhchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 27-09-2007, 13:54   #17
MovedGoalPosts
Inactive

MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars

No, a hub also is not intelligent and wouldn't allocate the IP addresses and stuff. A hub is effectively just a junction box.
MovedGoalPosts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2007, 14:32   #18
cnhchy
Inactive

Isn't there any solution?
Old 27-09-2007, 14:48   #19
MovedGoalPosts
Inactive

MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars

You could get a wired only router, and connect your access point to the LAN side of that. Would be rather convoluted though as you'd have two devices to do the job instead of one.

I'd ebay the access point, and get yourself a combined wireless router. Make sure that is compatible with your modem though - cable and ADSL are different beasts, with ADSL wireless router's not working on cable.

---------- Post added at 14:48 ---------- Previous post was at 14:45 ----------

One of the reasons your ME102 probably worked OK at the office is that you do have a router or a server in your office network, i.e. Something that is issuing the various IP, DHCP, DNS and other network setup stuff, and is also performing the router function.
Old 27-09-2007, 14:58   #20
cnhchy
Inactive

Ok, if I use two ethernet cards in my desktop and one is set as WAN port and other as LAN port, I then connect ME102 to the LAN port. Is that OK? Many Thanks for your suggestion!
Old 27-09-2007, 15:09   #21
MovedGoalPosts
Inactive

That is an option you could try.

You'd have to setup internet connection sharing over the PC that has two network cards. Not that familiar with it myself you may have to manually allocate the LAN IPs for the access point and the laptop.
Old 27-09-2007, 18:05   #22
MovedGoalPosts
Inactive

Re: [Merged] Wireless Access Point Router and Modem Help

Threads on the same subject merged now that the dodgy post preventing proper display has been corrected.
Old 28-09-2007, 17:04   #23
Dai
Inactive

Services: 50Mb, TV & Phone
Dai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronze
Dai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronze
Send a message via MSN to Dai

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnhchy View Post
Ok, if I use two ethernet cards in my desktop and one is set as WAN port and other as LAN port, I then connect ME102 to the LAN port. Is that OK? Many Thanks for your suggestion!
That *could* work but it's unnecessarily complcated and your wireless connection would only work when the main pc is switched on.
Honestly I think Rob's answer is the best option. Get a wireless router. If you can part-exchange or sell the WAP even better.
Dai is offline   Reply With Quote