Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Think Broadband Ping Monitor Results (POST YOURS)

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Think Broadband Ping Monitor Results (POST YOURS)

Old 17-05-2012, 10:38   #1381
adzzzbatch
Inactive

Services: Full House XL TV, SkySports HD, VM TiVo 500Gb, TiVo 1Tb, VHD Box. 200Mb BB, Talk More Anytime Phone
adzzzbatch will become famous soon enoughadzzzbatch will become famous soon enoughadzzzbatch will become famous soon enough
Re: Think Broadband Ping Monitor Results (POST YOURS)

adzzzbatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 17-05-2012, 10:42   #1382
pabscars
Inactive

Services: TiVo, 75 Smeg Broadband
pabscars has reached the bronze age
pabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwikbreaks View Post
I've seen reports that it won't work if you are using port forwarding.
It's a funny old thing the Superhub, when I was using it (over 12 months ago now) for port forwarding it would only forward 1 port I think at a time, so I ended up using the DMZ in order to achieve an open NAT on one of my consoles.

I'm also reasonably sure that when the DMZ was being used, it then would'nt respond to the pings from the TBB ping monitor.

I always used to do a full reboot after any changes just to make sure.

In all fairness my current Sky router behaves in much the same way.
pabscars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2012, 11:19   #1383
kwikbreaks
cf.mega poster

Services: Plusnet FTTC, FoxSat HDR for TV, Vonage VOIP.
kwikbreaks has reached the bronze age
kwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze age

I think what you recall is that the thing would reboot itself after each and every addition or removal from the forwarding table (or maybe it was fixing an IP to a MAC).

As I have a number of devices I access remotely that was a PITA. What was an even bigger PITA was that on one occasion it managed to completely corrupt or lose either the forwarding or fixed IP table - on reflection while typing I think it was the fixed IPs as I remember going round everything taking them off DHCP and allocating fixed IPs.

Whatever it was the many bugs in the firmware and the fact it simply couldn't reliably do a TrueImage backup over WiFi (set to 300 it would hang inside a couple of minutes, 145 - maybe it would complete eventually or maybe not) made me eventually ask for a VMNG300 from the CEO office.
kwikbreaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2012, 13:25   #1384
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

Look ma, no interleaving!
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2012, 14:09   #1385
kwikbreaks
cf.mega poster

kwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze age

Assuming default is on how did you get it turned off?

In my ADSL days on a line that could just manage 8Mbps I found that overall performance was considerably better with interleaving on and as I'm not into gaming I'd just leave it to whatever the default is myself.
Old 17-05-2012, 14:39   #1386
jimgors
Inactive

Services: Virgin TV M+ 30MB XL
jimgors is an unknown quantity at this point

Just got 4 new Downstream Channels :o

Locked QAM256 47 55616000 Kbits/sec 315000000 Hz -1.0 dBmV 38.3 dB Hybrid
Locked QAM256 45 55616000 Kbits/sec 299000000 Hz -0.6 dBmV 38.6 dB Hybrid
Locked QAM256 46 55616000 Kbits/sec 307000000 Hz -1.1 dBmV 38.6 dB Hybrid
Locked QAM256 48 55616000 Kbits/sec 323000000 Hz -1.5 dBmV 38.2 dB Hybrid
Unlocked Unknown 0 0 Ksym/sec 0 Hz 0.0 dBmV 0.0 dB Unknown
Upstream Channels
Lock Status Modulation Channel ID Max Raw Bit Rate Frequency Power
Locked ATDMA 8 20480 Kbits/sec 35800000 Hz 49.0 dBmV

Is my upstream power level too high?
jimgors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2012, 14:42   #1387
thenry
Inactive

thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star
thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star

no its fine
thenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2012, 15:03   #1388
babis3g
Inactive

Services: >100Mb<TV M+,TiVo 1T,V HD >Phone M
babis3g is a splendid one to beholdbabis3g is a splendid one to beholdbabis3g is a splendid one to beholdbabis3g is a splendid one to beholdbabis3g is a splendid one to beholdbabis3g is a splendid one to beholdbabis3g is a splendid one to beholdbabis3g is a splendid one to beholdbabis3g is a splendid one to behold

Online Status
-------------
Physical Connection System Uptime: 3:51:4
IPv4 IPv6
-------------------
LAN Status Primary DNS: ******* Secondary DNS: ********
IP Address TX Packets RX Packets
192.168.1.1 807109 711021
---------------------------------------------
WAN 1 Status >> Drop PPPoA
Enable Line Name Mode Up Time
Yes ADSL TT PPPoA 1:58:37
IP GW IP TX Packets TX Rate(Bps) RX Packets RX Rate(Bps)
78.**.***.*** 78.**.***.* 40645 130 56319 126
----------------------------------------
WAN 2 Status
Yes Ethernet VM Static IP 2:10:07
94.175.119.188 94.175.119.1 158014 155 256988 156
---------------------------------------
WAN 3 Status
Enable Line Name Mode Up Time Signal
No USB --- 00:00:00 -
--- --- 0 0 0 0
-------------------------------------
ADSL Information ( ADSL Firmware Version: 232201_A)
ATM Statistics TX Cells RX Cells TX CRC errs RX CRC errs
274034 5810770 0 1555
-------------------------------
ADSL Status
Mode |State |Up Speed |Down Speed |SNR Margin |Loop Att.
ADSL2+| SHOWTIME | 1020958 |13788289 |12 |29

(G.992.5)
Both having the vigor 2850n stimulative connection

Talk Talk currently in use for testing connection (first day connection & hope will be more stable the next days)
12mb on speed test at 2 pm
it use the default 2850n modem and not the suplied from isp for TT connected at adsl/vdsl wan
ping with TT are between 27-36 ms i guess not bad for adsl line 2.4 kilometers or miles far from exchange
(loot atternuator 29 = 2.1 m or km)

Virgin media 100 connected at wan 2

LETS SEE HOW both will be by tonight

PS
my lady is at youtube almost day using TT
babis3g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2012, 15:30   #1389
kwikbreaks
cf.mega poster

That 12dB noise margin is restricting your speed. Any idea why it isn't the default 6dB? That 29dB attenuation should see you at ~ 15Mbps or better.
Old 17-05-2012, 15:53   #1390
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

Quote:
Assuming default is on how did you get it turned off?
Default is off, you cannot manually change it. It is automatically turned on by the DSLAM if it detects line instability and turned off again once BT's magic sauce determines your line is "stable enough" again. Neither you, your ISP, or even BT Openreach themselves can manually set a specific interleaving state. The only option is "auto".

The "auto"-magical secret sauce can be reset by an engineer but I left it "on" just as an experiment this time round. It took over 3 weeks to gradually turn interleaving off, and the line's still not back to full uncapped speeds but it's only one step away... That's the one thing that bugs me about FTTC, but I hear they're introducing a manual override option Soon(tm)

---------- Post added at 15:53 ---------- Previous post was at 15:48 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by babis3g View Post
---------------------------------------------
WAN 1 Status >> Drop PPPoA
Yes ADSL TT PPPoA 1:58:37
78.**.***.*** 78.**.***.* 40645 130 56319 126
----------------------------------------
WAN 2 Status
Yes Ethernet VM Static IP 2:10:07
94.175.119.188 94.175.119.1 158014 155 256988 156
---------------------------------------
Hiding your IP fail?
Old 17-05-2012, 16:27   #1391
babis3g
Inactive

Services: >100Mb<TV M+,TiVo 1T,V HD >Phone M
babis3g is a splendid one to beholdbabis3g is a splendid one to beholdbabis3g is a splendid one to beholdbabis3g is a splendid one to beholdbabis3g is a splendid one to beholdbabis3g is a splendid one to beholdbabis3g is a splendid one to beholdbabis3g is a splendid one to beholdbabis3g is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
That 12dB noise margin is restricting your speed. Any idea why it isn't the default 6dB? That 29dB attenuation should see you at ~ 15Mbps or better.
i will not really use TT but only as back up
they gave me a special loyalty offer £ 21 to keep me with adsl after moved house(had fttc before) unlimited calls and unlimited internet and 36 countries international calls free plus free call id and voice mail call waiting etc
it seems i will downgrade from virgin at least with VM phone

BUT yes i would like to have the best of adsl
i think there is a 10 day training for adsl
i will give them a call in few days to reset my profile if will not go up

Quote:
Originally Posted by qasdfdsaq View Post

---------- Post added at 15:53 ---------- Previous post was at 15:48 ----------

Hiding your IP fail?
is just if i get disconnection the IP adress will change and will not be the same so i thought is not point
the TT monitor will go all red as well
babis3g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2012, 17:19   #1392
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

There's no 10-day training period on anything. The whole concept has been an urban myth for years (there used to be some justification for it, not anymore).

The "best" you can get is a 3dB SNRM, not sure if TT allows you to customize or override yours but some other providers do, e.g. Be, which can increase your speed by a couple megabits over 6dB. You could probably hit 20mb if you're lucky.
Old 17-05-2012, 18:07   #1393
craigj2k12
cf.mega poster

craigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appeal
craigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appeal

talktalk allow you to change your line profile quite considerably, just post on their support forums and they will sort it out within a couple of days
craigj2k12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2012, 19:15   #1394
jimgors
Inactive

Services: Virgin TV M+ 30MB XL
jimgors is an unknown quantity at this point

do they turn off interleaving completely, or is it like sky
jimgors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2012, 20:15   #1395
craigj2k12
cf.mega poster

craigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appeal
craigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appeal

they turn is off completley, they have names for the profiles, its like 6FSNR for 6db SNR fastpath and 12ISNR for 12db SNR Interleaved etc etc ask for the 6FSNR profile
craigj2k12 is offline   Reply With Quote