Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Going from Virgin back to freeview

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Alternatives to Virgin Media > Freesat & Freeview

Going from Virgin back to freeview

Old 27-06-2016, 15:06   #1
Gazid
Inactive

Gazid is an unknown quantity at this point
Going from Virgin back to freeview

Hi all, we have decided to knock Virgin TV on the head and are going back to terrestrial Freeview, through the aerial.

Our TV is quite old and although it has digi built in, I need a set top box in order to get the Freesat HD channels. This being the case, can I use my existing Virgin box or is it all encrypted, meaning I need to go out and buy a new set top box? Or is there a work around where by I can plug the aerial into the Virgin box, etc.

Thanks in advance.

~G
Gazid is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 27-06-2016, 15:12   #2
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Going from Virgin back to freeview

Virgin boxes are cable boxes and won't work on satellite or terrestrial at all. You'll need to buy a new box. You need a Freeview HD box to use with your aerial. Freesat requires a dish, not an aerial.

Also Virgin may well want their box back, depending on which model it is.

ps. Welcome to the forum!
spiderplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2016, 16:25   #3
admars
cf.mega poster

admars has reached the bronze age
admars has reached the bronze ageadmars has reached the bronze ageadmars has reached the bronze ageadmars has reached the bronze ageadmars has reached the bronze ageadmars has reached the bronze age

and depending what other packages you have, you may not save money. i thought about doing the same, but you get a discount by having phone, internet and tv, so I moved to the cheapest tv package, so kept my discount.
admars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2016, 16:36   #4
Gazid
Inactive

Gazid is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, thanks for that. That does make sense - of course! And thanks for the welcome.

Perhaps you can answer another Q: We have a 42" TV, do we need a Freeview HD box with a high res output to get a good picture? I see that Argos are selling a Bush set top box for £50, 'upscales to 1080i and 1080p.' I presume this relates to resolution 1080 pixels by 1080 pixels?
Our TV (a Sanyo) has specs of: 'Picture.1080p24 Support No.10000:1 .Full HD(1920x1080) Yes (1920x1080).' Not sure exactly what that all means but I'm thinking that the £50 would work well?

Thanks again.

~G

---------- Post added at 15:36 ---------- Previous post was at 15:27 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by admars View Post
and depending what other packages you have, you may not save money. i thought about doing the same, but you get a discount by having phone, internet and tv, so I moved to the cheapest tv package, so kept my discount.
Thanks for that. All we want to keep is the Broadband - so our saving is £40 PM.
Gazid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2016, 01:23   #5
Matth
Inactive

Services: BB:M, TV:XL, Phone:M, Loyalty
Matth has reached the bronze age
Matth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze age

The Bush box at argos appears to be FREESAT, not Freeview.

The Manhattan HD-T2 is the freeview - cheaper at John Lewis though
Matth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2016, 14:32   #6
nodrogd
cf.mega poster

Services: Maxit + Movies/Sports HD (V6x2), BB350, Anytime Chatter. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG
nodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matth View Post
The Bush box at argos appears to be FREESAT, not Freeview.

The Manhattan HD-T2 is the freeview - cheaper at John Lewis though
Be aware that both the above boxes lose their BBC iPlayer functionality this autumn.
nodrogd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2016, 18:02   #7
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by nodrogd View Post
Be aware that both the above boxes lose their BBC iPlayer functionality this autumn.
It's also been posted that they will lose the ITV Hub too. Do you know anything about this nodrogd?

---------- Post added at 17:02 ---------- Previous post was at 16:59 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazid View Post
Hi all, we have decided to knock Virgin TV on the head and are going back to terrestrial Freeview, through the aerial.

Our TV is quite old and although it has digi built in, I need a set top box in order to get the Freesat HD channels. This being the case, can I use my existing Virgin box or is it all encrypted, meaning I need to go out and buy a new set top box? Or is there a work around where by I can plug the aerial into the Virgin box, etc.

Thanks in advance.

~G
I have a friend who cancelled Virgin, but still uses his box to watch the only channels that he watched anyway as they are among those broadcast unscrambled by Virgin Media- Radio 4, BBC News & BBC1.

None of the HD channels are broadcast unencrypted though.
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2016, 22:24   #8
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Gazid, you seem to be using "Freesat" and "Freeview" interchangeably, or perhaps you're getting confused.

Which free service do you want: Freeview (via a terrestrial aerial) or Freesat (via a satellite dish)?
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2016, 11:33   #9
nodrogd
cf.mega poster

Services: Maxit + Movies/Sports HD (V6x2), BB350, Anytime Chatter. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG
nodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful one

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
It's also been posted that they will lose the ITV Hub too. Do you know anything about this nodrogd?.
BBC iPlayer now no longer works. ITV Hub is still working fine.
Old 25-10-2016, 11:54   #10
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

BBC ceased servicing all devices using the MHEG version of iplayer last month. I'm surprised there were any boxes still on sale that were using it. Manufacturers have been aware for quite some time that this was happening.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2016, 14:28   #11
nodrogd
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
BBC ceased servicing all devices using the MHEG version of iplayer last month. I'm surprised there were any boxes still on sale that were using it. Manufacturers have been aware for quite some time that this was happening.
They are very much still available:

http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/tv-and-...36605-pdt.html

http://www.johnlewis.com/manhattan-p...ceiver/p631121

Last edited by nodrogd; 25-10-2016 at 14:34.
Old 27-10-2016, 22:36   #12
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

I bought a Freesat box from Sainsbury's and then found out about the iPlayer issue.

At first they tried to fob me off with nonsense (including saying that I couldn't have bought it from them because they don't sell them!!!).

After getting Trading Standards involved, they agreed to provide me with a complimentary Now TV box to retain access to the iPlayer.

They refused to stop advertising them on their website with the iPlayer logo too until I got the Advertising Standards Authority involved. They now no longer sell Freesat boxes.

---------- Post added at 21:36 ---------- Previous post was at 21:36 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by nodrogd View Post
BBC iPlayer now no longer works. ITV Hub is still working fine.
Thanks
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote