Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | FTP vs SMB

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

FTP vs SMB

Old 18-09-2007, 10:51   #1
dragon
Inactive

dragon has reached the bronze age
dragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze age
FTP vs SMB

Setup a NAS using an old p3 pc and freenas.

Atm its only got a couple small IDE drives in since i'm waiting on a Sata card.

Thought id do a couple of test transfers.

noticed that FTP is quicker than Samba (windows shares) for transferring files any perticular reason.

I can push around 40 - 60mbit/s on average over samba.

On ftp its pushing 70+ mbit/s

Any perticuallar reason for this?

This was from my desktop pc running windows vista, across a 8port 100mbit belkin switch.

I'd imagine transfers from the other pcs on the network would be a LOT slower since they'd have to over wi-fi and homeplugs to get to the server.
dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 18-09-2007, 13:08   #2
Stuart W
Inactive

Services: BroadBand 4M
Stuart W is a name known to allStuart W is a name known to allStuart W is a name known to allStuart W is a name known to allStuart W is a name known to allStuart W is a name known to allStuart W is a name known to allStuart W is a name known to all
Send a message via MSN to Stuart W
Re: FTP vs SMB

The answer is in the question

FTP stands for "File Transfer Protocol" which is a protocol specifically written to transfer files.

SMB stands for "Server Message Block" which is protocol written to do a number of tasks, like broadcasting share information as well as transfer files.

This means FTP will usually be the fastest method to transfer files over an IP network simply because that is all it was created to do.
As well as this, SMB is also using up bandwidth by polling for other SMB info on the network and broadcasting share information.

HTH
Stuart W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2007, 15:56   #3
xpod
Inactive

Services: TV,Phone & BB
xpod has a bronzed appealxpod has a bronzed appeal
xpod has a bronzed appealxpod has a bronzed appealxpod has a bronzed appealxpod has a bronzed appealxpod has a bronzed appealxpod has a bronzed appealxpod has a bronzed appealxpod has a bronzed appealxpod has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Setup a NAS using an old p3 pc and freenas.

Atm its only got a couple small IDE drives in since i'm waiting on a Sata card.

Thought id do a couple of test transfers.

noticed that FTP is quicker than Samba (windows shares) for transferring files any perticular reason.

I can push around 40 - 60mbit/s on average over samba.

On ftp its pushing 70+ mbit/s

Any perticuallar reason for this?

This was from my desktop pc running windows vista, across a 8port 100mbit belkin switch.

I'd imagine transfers from the other pcs on the network would be a LOT slower since they'd have to over wi-fi and homeplugs to get to the server.
Thats why i prefer the NFS i think.No transfer times with a mounted share.
I`ve really only got Freenas on an old p3(700Mhz,256Mb) just to try it out but i actually quite like the thing.It would need a proper home though....(wfa??)
Saying all that,i think it`s also quite probably overkill for our needs at the moment.

I currently(pre-freenas)have a 40G partition on one of my own desktops two drives given over to NFS,hence the kids all have easy access to our shared videos & stuff from their own pc`s if needs be.
I`ll only even start the nfs server daemon/portmapper if someone needs access though and it`s not exactly a constant need.

A whole machine needing left on just so the young un`s have constant access to their videos & junk seems a wee bit much.Still a great idea though...as well as being a good recycling solution of course
xpod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2007, 17:09   #4
dragon
Inactive

dragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by xpod View Post
Thats why i prefer the NFS i think.No transfer times with a mounted share.
I`ve really only got Freenas on an old p3(700Mhz,256Mb) just to try it out but i actually quite like the thing.It would need a proper home though....(wfa??)
Saying all that,i think it`s also quite probably overkill for our needs at the moment.

I currently(pre-freenas)have a 40G partition on one of my own desktops two drives given over to NFS,hence the kids all have easy access to our shared videos & stuff from their own pc`s if needs be.
I`ll only even start the nfs server daemon/portmapper if someone needs access though and it`s not exactly a constant need.

A whole machine needing left on just so the young un`s have constant access to their videos & junk seems a wee bit much.Still a great idea though...as well as being a good recycling solution of course
Not sure if mine will be running freenas much longer, sata card arrived this morning quickly popped it in and freenas wasn't seeing it.

Not sure if the card i bought has its own Bios or not, as i got it on ebay, was a cheap card didn't want to spent a lot on one as i don't know if it would work in that pc.

i believe the chipset should be supported by freenas / linux its a via VIA VT6321a

Might go for a linux server install if i can't get the card working in freenas, was thinking of either debian or centos.

Assuming I get the card working the box will make a nice server, I did have a NAS caddy thing but it kept locking up all the time and was slow

Only really had a couple minutes spare to shove the card in and boot the system so haven't yet played about. will do later.
Old 19-09-2007, 21:18   #5
dragon
Inactive

Pushing 95 - 100mbit/s now on both ftp and SMB :-)

Copy to Sata drive on sata PCI card in the server.

Server is running debian etch.
Old 19-09-2007, 21:31   #6
xpod
Inactive

xpod has a bronzed appealxpod has a bronzed appealxpod has a bronzed appealxpod has a bronzed appealxpod has a bronzed appealxpod has a bronzed appealxpod has a bronzed appealxpod has a bronzed appealxpod has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Pushing 95 - 100mbit/s on ftp now I have the sata drives online
Good stuff!!
Old 19-09-2007, 21:49   #7
dragon
Inactive

Quote:
Good stuff!!
I did wander about a 1Gbit/s nic but I'm not sure the System would keep up with it.
Old 19-09-2007, 22:06   #8
xpod
Inactive

Quote:
I did wander about a 1Gbit/s nic but I'm not sure the System would keep up with it.
As long as all our nic`s are all managing 20Mb`s then i dont give two hoots about 100Mb ftp speeds
Old 19-09-2007, 22:41   #9
dragon
Inactive

Quote:
As long as all our nic`s are all managing 20Mb`s then i dont give two hoots about 100Mb ftp speeds
How many you got
Old 19-09-2007, 23:37   #10
xpod
Inactive

Quote:
How many you got

20MB sacm > desktop currently acting as router/firewall/gateway(2 nic`s) > 8 port switch >laptop(1 nic)/freenas laptop(1 nic)/desktop(1 nic).

1Mb stb > sons desktop(1 nic)

Recently he`s been on the 20Mb though seeing as it finally made it`s appearance.He knows the score though.

After the phonebill he gave us recently he wants to know the bloody score

EDIT:thats not counting the spares i checked during the 20Mb`s elusive period,just making sure it was`nt just my end that could`nt cope with a measly 20Mb.
Old 20-09-2007, 16:27   #11
dragon
Inactive

Quote:

20MB sacm > desktop currently acting as router/firewall/gateway(2 nic`s) > 8 port switch >laptop(1 nic)/freenas laptop(1 nic)/desktop(1 nic).

1Mb stb > sons desktop(1 nic)

Recently he`s been on the 20Mb though seeing as it finally made it`s appearance.He knows the score though.

After the phonebill he gave us recently he wants to know the bloody score

EDIT:thats not counting the spares i checked during the 20Mb`s elusive period,just making sure it was`nt just my end that could`nt cope with a measly 20Mb.
Oh i thought you ment 20megabytes/s rather than megabits