Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin Media 70, 150 & 200 Mb Upgrades

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media News Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Virgin Media 70, 150 & 200 Mb Upgrades

Old 29-08-2015, 02:51   #121
Chrysalis
cf.mega poster

Services: Gig1, Hub 5
Chrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronze
Chrysalis is cast in bronze
re: Virgin Media 70, 100 & 200 Mb Upgrades

I think we can work out BT's plan.

They will rollout g.fast and continue to spend silly money on football ti keep customers.

They will be hoping for someone in the mean time to invent g.fast2 or something, 'anything' to avoid spending on FTTP.

Of course due to the state of VM in my area, I would prefer 80mbit on a solid isp like sky over a gigabit from VM anyway. A connection that is only full speed at dusk hours would only be a last resort for me.
Chrysalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 29-08-2015, 06:25   #122
roughbeast
cf.mega poster

Services: Vodafone/City Fibre Gigafast 900
roughbeast has reached the bronze age
roughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanbjames View Post
ive had no email about any speed upgrades?

When are they due to start rolling out?
I got my email on Thursday. Roll out commences from the beginning of October.

We also had notice that, in our area, there will be a disrupted service on 20th September due to network upgrade work.
roughbeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2015, 07:22   #123
jb66
cf.mega poster

jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array
jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array

IS FTTP a good idea? I was installing fibre in a trial and its a PITA

You cant bend it too much
If some numpty rips up a cabe doing a driveway we cant splice it easily
The ends of fibre cable are really sharp and can give you a splinter
The light could burn your retna.

There are just too many stupid people out there. Would it not be as good to run fibre to a pit or cab say then run shielded cat7 to every house?
jb66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2015, 08:16   #124
alanbjames
R.I.P.

Services: XL Phone, XXXL Gig1 BB SH4 (wired).
alanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by roughbeast View Post
I got my email on Thursday. Roll out commences from the beginning of October.

We also had notice that, in our area, there will be a disrupted service on 20th September due to network upgrade work.
I think my area was upgraded ready for the new speeds last month as i was moved onto a different CMTS and ever since i get a constant speed of 162mb and 21mb/s downloads.
alanbjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2015, 11:11   #125
MrIca
Inactive

MrIca is on a distinguished roadMrIca is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by pip08456 View Post
BT has begun trials of its new G.fast broadband technology, which provides ultrafast speeds of over 10 times faster than the current UK average.

Huntingdon in Cambridgeshire is the first town involved in the tests being carried out by Openreach, with residents in the trial able to access speeds of up to 330Mbps...

...The company plans to start deploying G.fast either next year or in 2017, rolling it out alongside FTTC and FTTP, providing that the trials go well. Fingers crossed that’s the case, as this will be a major boon for internet speeds in the UK to say the least.

Read more: http://www.itproportal.com/2015/08/2...#ixzz3k9Ulu3BU
Trials seem to be going well don't they? 309Mb achieved so far. Will be interesting to see if they ever achieve 330Mb in the real world though.
MrIca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2015, 12:02   #126
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars

After the Virgin Media FTTP Papworth trial, the next areas to be done will be outlaying areas of Leicester.

It will be RFoG so don't expect any mega speeds, however I have been advised that true FTTP and Gb speeds to start being rolled out next year.

Apparently something to do with having to connect a certain no. Of homes to true FTTP in order to claim the title of UK's fastest provider.
Old 29-08-2015, 12:10   #127
Ignitionnet
Inactive

Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars
Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre View Post
After the Virgin Media FTTP Papworth trial, the next areas to be done will be outlaying areas of Leicester.
There I was keeping schtum about the Leicester villages project

---------- Post added at 12:10 ---------- Previous post was at 12:08 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrIca View Post
Trials seem to be going well don't they? 309Mb achieved so far. Will be interesting to see if they ever achieve 330Mb in the real world though.
I'm sure it will. This technology is to a large extent the existing VDSL technology on steroids.

Trials have already gotten it to a gigabit combined between up and downstream.
Ignitionnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2015, 12:28   #128
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb66 View Post
IS FTTP a good idea? I was installing fibre in a trial and its a PITA

You cant bend it too much
You can bend it plenty enough, and you can get bend insensitive fibre also

Quote:

If some numpty rips up a cabe doing a driveway we cant splice it easily
You don't need too, just blow in a replacement cable.

Quote:
The ends of fibre cable are really sharp and can give you a splinter
Only if you strip off the acrylic coating of the fibre to expose the glass, for which you need a fibre stripping tool and something no one but a fibre splicer would ever do.

Quote:
The light could burn your retina
The class of laser used in FTTP equipment is no greater than Class 1M which is quite safe when observed by the naked eye
Quote:
There are just too many stupid people out there. Would it not be as good to run fibre to a pit or cab say then run shielded cat7 to every house?
No.
Old 29-08-2015, 19:19   #129
OhReally

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanbjames View Post
ive had no email about any speed upgrades?

When are they due to start rolling out?
Still waiting for the last speed upgrade here...
Old 29-08-2015, 20:12   #130
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhReally View Post
Still waiting for the last speed upgrade here...
Do you have a SH?
Old 29-08-2015, 20:22   #131
thenry
Inactive

thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star
thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star

thenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2015, 23:51   #132
Chrysalis
cf.mega poster

Chrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignitionnet View Post
There I was keeping schtum about the Leicester villages project

---------- Post added at 12:10 ---------- Previous post was at 12:08 ----------

I'm sure it will. This technology is to a large extent the existing VDSL technology on steroids.

Trials have already gotten it to a gigabit combined between up and downstream.
so another case of rural areas getting FTTP before cities?

The UK seems backwards the digital divide is the other way round.
Old 30-08-2015, 09:50   #133
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrysalis View Post

Cities are already well served for high speed connections. Rural areas have a lot of catching up to do.

The other day I noticed a new "Fibre broadband is here" cab at the boundary of my village. So I checked BT's website: "estimated for 2018"
spiderplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2015, 12:57   #134
Ignitionnet
Inactive

Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars
Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderplant View Post
Cities are already well served for high speed connections. Rural areas have a lot of catching up to do.
I am speculating he's referring to our urban areas relative to other nations. We actually do very well in terms of rural areas relative to our peers but it's a much less flattering comparison in terms of ultrafast in urban areas.

For all its faults thanks to the BDUK programme alongside Superfast Cornwall we have a smaller digital divide between urban and rural areas than most, which is a very good thing. By the time BDUK 1 is complete everywhere we will be looking very good indeed relative to our European peers.

The majority of BT's fibre to premises is in more rural areas as fibre to cabinet was so much cheaper in urban ones. The largest group of deep fibre connections in urban areas are from Hyperoptic and are purely in apartment blocks.

It's pretty obvious which of the divides is the most harmful, though.

I may be frustrated at having a connection slower than the one I had in 2011, but it's not that big of a deal compared to those stuck on sub-2Mb, which I can empathise with having had extremely slow, intermittent and unstable service to the point of it threatening my job when I moved here - a suburb of the most prosperous city in the north of England and the 3rd centre of financial and legal services in the UK behind London and Edinburgh.

---------- Post added at 12:57 ---------- Previous post was at 12:53 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrysalis View Post

There is no business case in VM overbuilding their existing cable network with FTTP. I imagine that if things go as they wish they will be building more FTTP as new build in both urban and some more rural areas.
Ignitionnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2015, 18:20   #135
Chrysalis
cf.mega poster

thats exactly it, compared to other nations we poor. FTTC and cable are not as good as FTTP.