Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Nextdoors wireless ARRGH!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Nextdoors wireless ARRGH!

Old 16-01-2009, 18:21   #16
Dai
Inactive

Services: 50Mb, TV & Phone
Dai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronze
Dai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronze
Send a message via MSN to Dai
Re: Nextdoors wireless ARRGH!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisjones View Post
Im saving that for if we ever fall out!
And in the meantime, you know where to go for your torrents...

Dai is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 16-01-2009, 18:29   #17
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, www.daves-world.co.uk. A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Hom3r has a pair of shiny stars

I once connected to the net, which suprised me at the time as my BB was off.

It turned out that it was a neighbours, I asked them did they have a XX router they gave a cautious "yes", I then told them roughtly what to do they thanked me and made there BB secure.

Before I done this added there router to my block/banned list first.

Also tell them that if anybody downloads dodgy or illegal material it will be traced to there connection and they will be fined got to jail.

Ignorance is no excuse.

---------- Post added at 18:29 ---------- Previous post was at 18:28 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaiNasty View Post
And in the meantime, you know where to go for your torrents...

Bearing in mind it will be illegal.
Old 16-01-2009, 18:40   #18
chrisjones
Inactive

Services: 100mb BB TiVo 500gb TV L Phone - Evening / Weekends
chrisjones has much to be proud ofchrisjones has much to be proud ofchrisjones has much to be proud ofchrisjones has much to be proud ofchrisjones has much to be proud ofchrisjones has much to be proud ofchrisjones has much to be proud ofchrisjones has much to be proud ofchrisjones has much to be proud ofchrisjones has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to chrisjones Send a message via MSN to chrisjones Send a message via Yahoo to chrisjones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hom3r View Post
I once connected to the net, which suprised me at the time as my BB was off.

It turned out that it was a neighbours, I asked them did they have a XX router they gave a cautious "yes", I then told them roughtly what to do they thanked me and made there BB secure.

Before I done this added there router to my block/banned list first.

Also tell them that if anybody downloads dodgy or illegal material it will be traced to there connection and they will be fined got to jail.

Ignorance is no excuse.

---------- Post added at 18:29 ---------- Previous post was at 18:28 ----------

Bearing in mind it will be illegal.
Im not anyway, so its not an issue.
chrisjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2009, 22:09   #19
chrisjones
Inactive

Services: 100mb BB TiVo 500gb TV L Phone - Evening / Weekends
chrisjones has much to be proud ofchrisjones has much to be proud ofchrisjones has much to be proud ofchrisjones has much to be proud ofchrisjones has much to be proud ofchrisjones has much to be proud ofchrisjones has much to be proud ofchrisjones has much to be proud ofchrisjones has much to be proud ofchrisjones has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to chrisjones Send a message via MSN to chrisjones Send a message via Yahoo to chrisjones

Is there anyway nextdoors connection could be interfering with mine at all? My wireless connection was fantastic at my last house, but now my laptop seems to be favoring their connection no matter what I do.
I swap to my connection, come back to my laptop and usually after a few mins its switched back to theirs. No matter how many times I delete their connection or set mine as the preferred connection, it still somehow ends up connecting!

Is it worth me providing Virgin with the IP address?
chrisjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2009, 22:13   #20
Raistlin
Inactive

Services: Depends on the person and the price they're offering
Raistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered stars
Raistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSainsbury View Post
No internet connection to share - problem solved!
Problem really solved, when they lock the OP up for breaching the CMA he won't have to worry about wireless connections whether they're secured or not
Raistlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2009, 22:20   #21
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, www.daves-world.co.uk. A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Hom3r has a pair of shiny stars

One option is ( a bit dodgy?) log in to there router and turn of the SSID broadcast, or turn off the wireless alltogether.

---------- Post added at 22:20 ---------- Previous post was at 22:14 ----------

Or you could add your MAC to their routers blocked list.
Old 19-01-2009, 23:43   #22
johnnyposs
Baldie Bouncer

Services: 10mb BB
johnnyposs has a spectacular aura about themjohnnyposs has a spectacular aura about themjohnnyposs has a spectacular aura about themjohnnyposs has a spectacular aura about them

Another option is connect to your router and then turn off wireless zero config. This tries to connect to a better signal every 5 minutes. You will have to turn it back on though when you restart computer. And then turn it off again when you connect.
johnnyposs is offline   Reply With Quote