Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | New PC

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

New PC

Old 26-07-2005, 22:44   #1
DJ Dave
Inactive

Services: XL Phone, L BB, M TV, 1GB MBB
DJ Dave is an unknown quantity at this point
New PC

Hiya, i have just got a new PC and networked my old PC together with it. Anyway to cut a long story short i wanted the net on the new PC still using a ENET Adapter, so when i did this it would not connect to the internet. I called NTL and was told to do a IP Config, when i did this i was told the IP address there was wrong and it should start with a NTL IP which it never and from now on i would have to use USB to get NTL to work. Can anybody help me with my problem?
DJ Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 26-07-2005, 22:48   #2
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Re: New PC

Err.we need a little more information than that..

Do you attach to the Internet via a Set Top Box or Cable Modem?

What happens when you try and go to a site (such as http://www.bbc.co.uk)?
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2005, 22:55   #3
MovedGoalPosts
Inactive

MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars

You have your old PC and your new PC networked together, how? Is just one or both PCs connected directly to your modem / STB?

If it's both PCs connected directly, that will not work as the modem / STB can only see one PC at a time. When you disconnect one, you must power down the router and computer(s) before plugging in the other (only one at any one time), and then pwoering up.

To use both PCs at the same time, you must either have a router between the STB/modem and both PCs, or have only one PC directly connected to the modem / STB with the second PC connected by wire to the first using internet connection sharing.

As thread is a netorking issue, moved to Computers & IT
MovedGoalPosts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2005, 22:57   #4
DJ Dave
Inactive

Sorry it's the new cable modem, and it would just come up with Page not found when i plugged in my ENET Cable, nothing to do with the card as the network works fine on the card now, but like i said the internet will not.

Edit: i have got a switch and it has worked fine with that before on another PC i had.
Old 26-07-2005, 22:59   #5
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

Power down (unplug) both the PC and the Modem, connect the PC to the Modem with an Ethernet cable, then plug the modem in, wait for the lights to settle and turn on the PC.
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2005, 23:02   #6
MovedGoalPosts
Inactive

MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars

A switch is a dumb device. It basically just allows you to connect cables, but does not know where to direct the traffic. AS far at the modem is concerned if you have both PCs plugged into the switch and the switch wired to the modem, the modem will be confused and unable to see both PCs.

A router will receive traffic to and from the modem. The modem will only see the router and thinks that the router is the single PC whcih it is expecting to talk to. A router will intercept traffic from the modem, work out which PC it is for and send it in the right direction.
MovedGoalPosts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2005, 23:05   #7
DJ Dave
Inactive

The modem does not go in to the switch, I will try the idea above and see how I get on.