Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | The General Cricket Thread

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Entertainment > Sport
Register FAQ Community Calendar

The General Cricket Thread
Closed Thread

Old 08-03-2012, 09:41   #1201
Osem
Inactive

Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Re: Cricket

There's no doubt Stamford was a big mistake but let's face it, the cricket world is increasingly being run by big business and they're far more interested in highly profitable one day matches and variants thereof than 5 day tests. I wouldn't be at all surprised if the test match format is drastically changed in the next 5-10 years. In the longer term I see it disappearing altogether sadly.
Advertisement
Old 08-03-2012, 09:54   #1202
richard1960

Services: vm broadband tvxl TiVo, v+ sky sports and phone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osem View Post
There's no doubt Stamford was a big mistake but let's face it, the cricket world is increasingly being run by big business and they're far more interested in highly profitable one day matches and variants thereof than 5 day tests. I wouldn't be at all surprised if the test match format is drastically changed in the next 5-10 years.
Cricket has been run by big business for a few years namely Sky with matches being sceduled to fit in with viewing in the one day game ie in the summer sky will have a 40 over match on around three times a week and the 20/20 frormat is very TV friendly.

The one day game is absolutely huge in india its as you say where the crowd/cash is,but in the UK and Australia test match cricket is still pretty popular personally myself what i can see happening is what is already taking palce ie much less test cricket and much more one day,cannot really see the format being changed for tests ,the only change i could see envisaged may be to take test matches from 5 to 4 days,but even that i have my doubts about .

Big business is one thing the corporates already sponsor matches my own ground has been christened the "ford county ground"! (not for me i still call it the county ground) and banks appear all over match day programmes,but Stanford was something else a one man bandwagon out for himself,even the west indies team who won his 20/20 competition lost money the clever ones took the cash some of the others invested it with er -----Stanford and lost it.

Old 08-03-2012, 10:14   #1203
Osem
Inactive

Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard1960 View Post
Cricket has been run by big business for a few years namely Sky with matches being sceduled to fit in with viewing in the one day game ie in the summer sky will have a 40 over match on around three times a week and the 20/20 frormat is very TV friendly.

The one day game is absolutely huge in india its as you say where the crowd/cash is,but in the UK and Australia test match cricket is still pretty popular personally myself what i can see happening is what is already taking palce ie much less test cricket and much more one day,cannot really see the format being changed for tests ,the only change i could see envisaged may be to take test matches from 5 to 4 days,but even that i have my doubts about .

Big business is one thing the corporates already sponsor matches my own ground has been christened the "ford county ground"! (not for me i still call it the county ground) and banks appear all over match day programmes,but Stanford was something else a one man bandwagon out for himself,even the west indies team who won his 20/20 competition lost money the clever ones took the cash some of the others invested it with er -----Stanford and lost it.
I too think it'd be a great loss if test cricket were to be changed or fade away but I can see it happening and the time/resources involved for test series are so great and even in the UK crowds for matches with lesser teams are not great.

Who could have predicted the changes being made to snooker recently? I hope cricket doesn't go the same way.
Old 08-03-2012, 10:29   #1204
richard1960

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osem View Post
I too think it'd be a great loss if test cricket were to be changed or fade away but I can see it happening and the time/resources involved for test series are so great and even in the UK crowds for matches with lesser teams are not great.

Who could have predicted the changes being made to snooker recently? I hope cricket doesn't go the same way.
No i agree resources for tests are great but tests matches are an important aspect of the game so cannot see them disappearing rather then taking a back seat, it was mooted a while back taking tests from 5 to 4 days to liven that aspect of the game,but so far nothing has come of it wether it will remains to be seen.

Not too sure about snooker is that not a pretty much one man band in this country ie Barry Hearn and of course he has great influence? to make changes quickly.

Cricket i think will move much more slowly but i will make a prediction in 20 years time we will still have test matches in one form or another.

Old 16-03-2012, 14:23   #1205
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/cricket/15647684

Quote:
India's Sachin Tendulkar has become the first player to score 100 international centuries by compiling a ton in a one-day game against Bangladesh in Dhaka.

The 38-year-old completed his landmark century, his 49th in one-day cricket, with a single clipped to square leg.

After being dismissed for 114, he said: "I was not thinking about the milestone. It hasn't sunk in."

Tendulkar had twice been out in the 90s after scoring his 99th century against South Africa in March 2011.
What a wonderful achievement by one of the greatest players the world has ever seen.
Old 16-03-2012, 14:44   #1206
richard1960

He has waited a while for it but well done to Tendulkar now.

Old 26-03-2012, 05:52   #1207
denphone
Still alive and fighting

denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Great start by England in the cricket with Sri Lanka losing 2 early wickets.
Old 26-03-2012, 11:57   #1208
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Sri Lanka lose two more wickets after tea as England dominate day one of the first Test in Galle and currently they are 247-7.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/cricket/17493270
Old 27-03-2012, 07:15   #1209
denphone
Still alive and fighting

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/cricket/17514625

Quote:
England lose Alastair Cook and Jonathan Trott early after dismissing Sri Lanka for 318 in their first innings of the first Test in Galle, James Anderson taking 5-72.
Not the start we wanted.
Old 27-03-2012, 09:24   #1210
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Quote:
England's response is in disarray as they attempt to reply to Sri Lanka's first innings score of 318 in the first Test in Galle.
Well at the moment its simply not good enough and its about time England's batsmen showed a bit more application and stopped getting out to silly shots.
Old 27-03-2012, 13:27   #1211
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Quote:
Sri Lanka close day two of the first Test against England with a lead of 209 at 84-5 after 17 wickets fall.
A lot of work to do here if England are to win this test.
Old 28-03-2012, 06:54   #1212
denphone
Still alive and fighting

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/cricket/17532902

Quote:
Sri Lanka lose their eighth wicket as they look to build their lead over England on the third day of a fast-moving first Test in Galle.
Come on England.
Old 28-03-2012, 14:24   #1213
denphone
Still alive and fighting

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/cricket/17533734

Quote:
England closed day three of the first Test in Galle on 111-2, requiring a further 229 runs to achieve the highest run-chase in their Test history.

After both openers departed, Jonathan Trott (40) and Kevin Pietersen, (29) dropped on 12, shared an unbroken 63.

Sri Lanka resumed 209 ahead at 84-5 and England thought they had dismissed them for 167, but Stuart Broad was no-balled when Prasanna Jayawardene had made 29.

Jayawardene went on to an unbeaten 61 before his team were all out for 214.

As regular followers of England will be only too aware, they have only scored more than 300 to win a Test on three occasions in the 135-year history of the game.
Well we need a good start in the morning to have any chance of reaching this total.

Where is Richard when we need him.
Old 29-03-2012, 07:11   #1214
denphone
Still alive and fighting

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/cricket/17538912

Quote:
England lose two wickets before lunch to fall four down as they chase 340 to win the first Test against Sri Lanka in Galle.
Not the start we wanted this morning.
Old 29-03-2012, 10:05   #1215
denphone
Still alive and fighting

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/cricket/17538912

Quote:
Jonathan Trott is seventh man out for a superb 112 to shift the balance firmly back in Sri Lanka's favour as England chase 340 to win an enthralling first Test in Galle.

Well we still have a chance but a small chance.