Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Ethernet Cable

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Ethernet Cable

Old 30-08-2017, 18:58   #16
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Ethernet Cable

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomadking View Post
Buy a couple of cables from a pound shop.
No, don't. VM will provide one with the V6
spiderplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 30-08-2017, 18:58   #17
Gavin-D
cf.mega poster

Gavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these parts

I have no issue what so ever with 2 V6s which are connected via wifi whilst an Ethernet Cable is recommended it's not essential if you don't want home plugs or extra long cables
Gavin-D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2017, 18:59   #18
Mad Max
cf.mega poster

Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array
Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array

I'm getting two V6's installed on Monday, I don't want my superhub moved at all, and my main TV is approx 11 metres from where my superhub2 is at present, the other V6 box will be going upstairs into my daughters room, so i'm hoping that with the new superhub3 that they are supplying, the two V6 boxes will connect wirelessly, if not what then?
Mad Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2017, 19:01   #19
Gavin-D
cf.mega poster

Gavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomadking View Post
Buy a couple of cables from a pound shop.
You can buy flat ones off Amazon now in black or white they are perfect for laying under carpets or along skirting board
Gavin-D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2017, 19:11   #20
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post
if not what then?
Powerlines, or hub relocation
spiderplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 09:25   #21
mike_gain
Inactive

mike_gain is a splendid one to beholdmike_gain is a splendid one to beholdmike_gain is a splendid one to beholdmike_gain is a splendid one to beholdmike_gain is a splendid one to beholdmike_gain is a splendid one to beholdmike_gain is a splendid one to beholdmike_gain is a splendid one to beholdmike_gain is a splendid one to behold

Surely a hub move should be a last resort as opposed to the deafault option. Even if it is determined that a property's V6 service won't work, due to connectivity, without moving a hub that just shifts the property's Wi-Fi connectivity issue from the tv service to general connectivity throughout the house.

Just seems to be a policy driven by the need for engineers to be in and out as quickly as possible i.e. get the new install working asap as opposed to ensuring the reliability of existing services are maintained. Perhaps it would be better laying out the consequences of moving a hub such as you'll have a v6 service but won't get access to Facebook while on the throne in your ensuite or your kid's bedroom PlayStation won't be able to connect anymore.
mike_gain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 12:59   #22
Mad Max
cf.mega poster

Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array

I have good floor space under my house, i'm hoping that the engineer will run any cables required under the floor.
Old 03-09-2017, 14:13   #23
Ken W
cf.mega poster

Services: LL Phone, TiVo, M+ VM mobile, BBand 150M tier Superhub, TIVO 500 M+
Ken W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful one

Quote:
I have good floor space under my house, i'm hoping that the engineer will run any cables required under the floor.

I very much doubt it
Ken W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 14:28   #24
Mad Max
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken W View Post
I very much doubt it
Well an engineer did this a while back when I got an extra box for our spare room, I ain't having cables running along the skirting board, to hell with that!
Old 03-09-2017, 17:27   #25
Joedm45
cf.geek

Joedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
Well an engineer did this a while back when I got an extra box for our spare room, I ain't having cables running along the skirting board, to hell with that!
I'm sure if you prep the cable route the engineer would happily run the cable where you want, all VM engineers I've met have been really good but it can be luck of the draw.

If you want him to lift carpet and floorboards then I very much doubt they'll agree to it.
Joedm45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 19:27   #26
Mad Max
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joedm45 View Post
I'm sure if you prep the cable route the engineer would happily run the cable where you want, all VM engineers I've met have been really good but it can be luck of the draw.

If you want him to lift carpet and floorboards then I very much doubt they'll agree to it.
I don't need, or want him to do that mate, as I said there's loads of room under our floor.
Old 03-09-2017, 21:07   #27
Ken W
cf.mega poster

Services: LL Phone, TiVo, M+ VM mobile, BBand 150M tier Superhub, TIVO 500 M+
Ken W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joedm45 View Post

How is the engineer going to get under your?
Ken W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 21:21   #28
jb66
cf.mega poster

jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array
jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array

Im sure the technician will be happy to pass the cable down to you under the floor, if you can walk about then they will go under
jb66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 21:25   #29
Joedm45
cf.geek

Joedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
I don't need, or want him to do that mate, as I said there's loads of room under our floor.
I really can't picture how you access this space without lifting floorboards but you can only ask the engineer and see what he says. If you think it's a reasonable request then you'll be fine I'm sure.

When I had my VM installed I was lucky enough to be completely renovating my house so loads of floorboards were up upstairs. I knew the cable run I wanted between cable entry point in the living room and bedroom for a second box was unreasonable for them to do so I bought some good quality cable and did it myself (it involved loft access which I'm sure they do not do). The engineer was grateful for the work especially as it was a Saturday install and he could go home early. He did also say he would have given me the cable a few days before if he knew but I'm not sure if CS would arrange this if you ask.

Hopefully all goes well with your install, let us know how you get on.
Joedm45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 21:32   #30
Mad Max
cf.mega poster

Quote:
I really can't picture how you access this space without lifting floorboards
There's a hatch, and yes thanks for the advice, i'll let you know how things went..