Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | New VM Business service - 350Mb

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

New VM Business service - 350Mb

Old 02-05-2017, 23:09   #16
Kushan
FORMER Virgin Media Staff

Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal
Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal
Re: New VM Business service - 350Mb

I had a dig around the site but couldn't find anything. There is a FUP but nothing specific.
Kushan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 02-05-2017, 23:12   #17
ccarmock
cf.geek

ccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation era

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kushan View Post
I had a dig around the site but couldn't find anything. There is a FUP but nothing specific.
They have always been vague about this, but as you say no mention of it any longer, unlike the previous web pages which did mention it, though not the thresholds.
ccarmock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 08:56   #18
rtho782
cf.addict

rtho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nice

Hmm, I like the look of this, with the option of multiple IPv4 addresses.....

Traffic management would kill it for me though.
rtho782 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 18:07   #19
roughbeast
cf.mega poster

Services: Vodafone/City Fibre Gigafast 900
roughbeast has reached the bronze age
roughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtho782 View Post
http://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php...d-service.html

So not massively more expensive than Vivid 300, although I guess this is probably Exc VAT.

Most interesting is the idea of a static IP, probably better support, and more priority on the network... could solve contention issues?
Given the allowance for overheads in config., users could get pretty close to 400Mb download too.
roughbeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 18:28   #20
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

At present the max is 200 where I live. As and when 350 is available I will consider it.
pip08456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 08:59   #21
rtho782
cf.addict

rtho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nice

I'm trying to get confirmation from them as to throttling outside business hours and the prioritisation over residential customers that has been mentioned.

But you only have to read through the various T+Cs etc on their website which contradict themselves in the same document and refer to clauses that don't exist to realise this product probably hasn't been fully thought out!
Old 04-05-2017, 10:50   #22
ccarmock
cf.geek

ccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation era

Quote:
Originally Posted by roughbeast View Post
Given the allowance for overheads in config., users could get pretty close to 400Mb download too.
The overheads built in on the business service are smaller than those built in on the residential. As an example I max out at 205 Mb/s on the 200 Mb/s business service. It will be interesting to see how they handle that with the 350 Mb/s service
Old 13-05-2017, 02:53   #23
ccarmock
cf.geek

VMB pushed the 350 / 20 config to my Hitron router today and it seem this time round they have built some headroom into the config:-

Old 13-05-2017, 19:36   #24
davedap
Inactive

davedap is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccarmock View Post
VMB pushed the 350 / 20 config to my Hitron router today and it seem this time round they have built some headroom into the config:-

is there any out of peak hours throttling or FUP on this at all, am very intrested but hate caps lol
davedap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2017, 12:37   #25
APS
Inactive

APS is a jewel in the roughAPS is a jewel in the roughAPS is a jewel in the roughAPS is a jewel in the roughAPS is a jewel in the rough

We have had the Hitron installed on the 350/20 service with 5 fixed IPs and had two issues so far:

1) The main IP address we were assigned must have been reused as we soon found it was in blacklists for mailservers (both Microsoft O365 and Barracuda). We have sorted that ourselves, but it would have been nice if VM had checked this!

2) We are getting big slowdowns in the middle of the day when careful speedtests show speeds of less than 20 Mb/s download but the upload seems fine. Tests earlier in the day show speeds closer to the 350 Mb/s although not quite as good as ccarmock. This is slower than the 50 Mb/s service we used to have. This makes me wonder if either the tunnel used for the fixed IP service is coming out onto the network in a congested place (we pop out near Bristol) or that they are running a throttle which is either setup incorrectly or is a very bad deal.

Anyone had similar problems?
APS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2017, 22:24   #26
ccarmock
cf.geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by APS View Post

We are getting big slowdowns in the middle of the day when careful speedtests show speeds of less than 20 Mb/s download but the upload seems fine. Tests earlier in the day show speeds closer to the 350 Mb/s although not quite as good as ccarmock. This is slower than the 50 Mb/s service we used to have. This makes me wonder if either the tunnel used for the fixed IP service is coming out onto the network in a congested place (we pop out near Bristol) or that they are running a throttle which is either setup incorrectly or is a very bad deal.

Anyone had similar problems?
I've not experienced this, but there has recently been some capacity improvement works in my area (used to have 12 downstream channels - now 16 for instance) I believe the GRE tunnels break out on equipment with a lot of capacity in the VM network - I'd guess your issue is local congestion. If you log a ticket they should be able to confirm. I have found support good in this respect, but not had to call them recently.

The one issue I did have with the new 350/20 service was variable upstream performance. I did notice that the upstream frequencies were not usual frequencies - as they usually end in 0000 these were offset. That has been corrected by VM and I get a rock solid 20 Mb/s up now too.
Old 25-05-2017, 17:22   #27
UnReaL
Inactive

UnReaL is just really niceUnReaL is just really niceUnReaL is just really niceUnReaL is just really niceUnReaL is just really niceUnReaL is just really nice

I have had mine installed today.

I can confirm by my order manager and the engineer that there are no limits on VM business broadband.
UnReaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2017, 23:03   #28
ccarmock
cf.geek

Details of no limit now detailed online: https://www.virginmediabusiness.co.u...oadband-Speeds

Quoting the specific bit:

Traffic Management is not enforced on business broadband connections but is enforced on others to help protect network resources. To further protect bandwidths and speeds we operate a fair use policy which is detailed within our Acceptable Use Policy
Old 25-05-2017, 23:21   #29
rtho782
cf.addict

Quote:
To further protect bandwidths and speeds we operate a fair use policy which is detailed within our Acceptable Use Policy and can be viewed here.
Not sure how I feel about this, especially as that link is dead.

Can anyone do a speedtest on thinkbroadband? I wonder if higher priority means better single threaded speeds.

Does anyone have a BQM on this new service?
Old 25-05-2017, 23:35   #30
ccarmock
cf.geek

Sure here is my BQM